Alta Price goes UP - A LOT.... $11,995.00 WHAT?!?!?!

violetwolf

A small company of 3-4 principals designing FC (or gimbal) code from scratch, while simultaneously designing the frames / hardware / ESC's / motors etc from scratch? Not bloody likely IMO. It's a fair bet most of it is off the shelf re-branded stuff including the software.

I'm pretty sure their gimbal software is ported AlexMos too.. Many times new features have been added in one camp then followed in the other only weeks apart. NOT coincidence.

I would think there are very few who have coded anything from scratch in this industry (or most other industries for that matter)

In marine design we usually start with a known and proven hull as a "basis" for a design. ;) Too costly to start from scratch.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I agree. Writing flight control software from scratch is too much even for some big-ish companies. A lot of people underestimate it. No proof that's what Freefly is doing of course. I do find it strange that their log files are CSV. That's not the format we use.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Freefly has historically run their frames with Mikrokopter, fwiw. It wouldn't be impossible to think that they've licensed a FC system from MK. Quadrocopter.com was also a big MK resource in the US from the beginning and they've were also closely linked to Freefly as Freefly was catching on.

so Freefly-Quadrocopter-Mikrokopter is a well known relationship though I'd give Freefly credit if they actually got MK to work with them.

Hey Guys,

It is indeed a monumental undertaking to develop Hardware, Firmware, and Software in house from scratch, but that is what we have done. There are some key differentiators that substantiate this if you pay attention to the details.

Many of the different systems are converging on optimal solutions, so it isn't surprising that they resemble each other IMO.

Tabb

Str8 Up

The attitudes of some on this forum disappoint me. How many other highly successful company owners bother to come on forums like this one to clarify information about their products? Is it appreciated? Did anyone say thanks? No. Not anyone. It's like everyone crawled away to pout because their conspiracy theories were dispelled.

I get the impression that certain types don't want to accept that a small company can find a niche and compete in this arena.

If you bother to pay attention you will see that the most talented and successful aerial operations have adopted the Alta. These people can easily afford several of any rig made. What you really should be asking yourselves is why is this?

Thanks for taking time to reply Tabb and keep fighting the good fight.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Hey Guys,

It is indeed a monumental undertaking to develop Hardware, Firmware, and Software in house from scratch, but that is what we have done. There are some key differentiators that substantiate this if you pay attention to the details.

Many of the different systems are converging on optimal solutions, so it isn't surprising that they resemble each other IMO.

Tabb

Congrats on doing it your way.

Old Man

I don't have an Alta, or a need for one, but I certainly understand nobody goes into business to trade a dollar and their time for a dollar. Keeping the doors open, paying the employees, the tax bills, and having something else to take care of your personal commitments is not something that can be done for nothing or next to nothing. If it's worth having it's worth paying for. If it's worth keeping it's worth even more.

Str8 Up

I don't have an Alta, or a need for one, but I certainly understand nobody goes into business to trade a dollar and their time for a dollar. Keeping the doors open, paying the employees, the tax bills, and having something else to take care of your personal commitments is not something that can be done for nothing or next to nothing. If it's worth having it's worth paying for. If it's worth keeping it's worth even more.
Agree.

I will say that I have never felt any remorse paying a little extra for a quality, domestically produced product with excellent customer service.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I have an ALTA. It's certainly worth the cost. :) Very well engineered and designed specifically for one purpose only, awesome aerial filming.

Str8 Up

The only recurring complaint I have heard is wanting more payload than 15 lbs. UHD cine cameras will only get smaller/lighter so my though is it's just about the perfect size for 90% of our high end work now and will cover 100% soon.