Battery Packs on Airlines

rwgottar

I need to transport equipment from Calgary to Toronto, I'm flying with air canada. I'm a bit confused about the regulations around transporting batteries on airlines. I have 6 5000mah packs and a few smaller ones. I'm thinking I might be safer sending them ahead of me through UPS. Does anyone have any experience/input?

Thanks!

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
6s 5000mAh exceeds the limits which are each battery must be less than 100Wh so I would send them ahead or use 6s 4500mAh or smaller. Ultimately you need to check with Air Canada to see what their Ts and Cs state about Lipos.

scotth

In the US you can hand carry two larger LiPo's. Nothing in checked baggage. Last time I flew I ground shipped all my large batteries and hand carried two 6S 5k's. The TSA I've dealt with has no clue here and you are very likely able to put everything in baggage but don't be tempted because they might pull them, plus the airliner you bring down may be your own.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...edia/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
very rarely tsa even looks at them in america. You have to hand carry them s carry ons.... we drag 12 big 6s ad another 15-20 3s and 4s and are never questioned. They see the wires on the x-ray and most are smart enough to realize there for RC. You gotta tape down the connector and balance plug to prevent them from shorting out...... Last time i went through security screening i walked right in and the 70+ year old guy behind me got swabbed for explosives....

however, we've hit brick walls in Mexico.... never been in canada so no good info for the op's concern

Steve, so right about Mexico. We barely got out of there with our batts last time down- was hilarious, frustrating and very dumb. Since then I think Trent with Copter Kids had to leave all his batts there so it seems to be getting worse. Put them in the budget for future jobs.

Been through Canada twice- the batts thru security were not an issue. The film gear was as they are so protective of the industry there.

nick