Align M690

Dave_EP

My 690 arrived yesterday, I'm still waiting for my 5D gimbal but that should be with me next week.
Looking through the kit, all I can say is that the build quality is stunning, it's a work of art.
I hope to build it tomorrow evening and I may have it up for a test flight on Sunday. I'll be using a modified Taranis for TX and the Align VTX and a black pearl for GS.

As soon as I get the gimbal I can mount the camera, weigh it and get my Ops manual off to EuroUSC for my acceptance test. Hopefully this carrying my 5D and my F550 carrying my GoPro4, I should be able to cover most requests for AP work.

Let us know more! I'm holding off buying anything until we get some real world reviews of the M690. I'll need to add it to my Ops Manual too, so I'm really interested in weights etc, then like you have this carry the GH4 / 5D and the little Phantom a GoPro4.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yeah, I'm really curious. I love Align RC heli hardware. The electronics are not the best. And their software is often quite bad. Their APS autopilot for helicopters is really bad. So I'd like to see how this one works out. I'd be interested in the frames if I could get them without electronics. Basically the same problem I have with their helicopters. They are all-or-nothing. I end up building many helicopters just buying parts.

Quinton

Just got the G3 Gimbal through today (GH4), I am holding off on the Align MR until the next batch to see if there are any fixes, as I have heard so far there may be a small problem with the prop screws.
Was looking to put this onto a Skyjib, although the 12mm tubing that holds the gimbal is about 10mm further apart than the skyjib, but will sort of fit with the rubber dampeners.
Have only powered it up with a 3s battery so far, and getting some oscillation so a bit of tuning may be required, it seems to be pretty balanced from the start.
The gimbal GH4 and a 45-175mm lens is 2053g and the gimbal on its own is 1274g

Zaxxon

I built the 690 to basic build tonight, I just need to add the VTX and Taranis reciever.

It was a very easy built, taken 3 hours so far. The frame when the arms are screwed into the flight position is rock solid. One thing I will need to put together will be a transporting case or foam type holder.

WP_20141112_22_36_06_Pro__highresLarge_zpsf3eb53e7.jpg

WP_20141112_22_33_55_Pro__highresLarge_zps97ee89ca.jpg

WP_20141112_22_37_04_Pro__highresLarge_zps9cf66098.jpg

WP_20141112_22_38_47_Pro__highresLarge_zps3aae92e2.jpg

WP_20141112_22_43_59_Pro__highresLarge_zpsece00b46.jpg

WP_20141112_22_50_43_Pro__highresLarge_zps350e4b69.jpg

I have read about the prop retaining issue and will work around it. For those that don't know, the screws may be to long. They have enough bite in the mounting, but if you torque down too far you go through the motor housing and into the winding's, so dead motor.

Quinton

I really hate gimbals :) (Well actually still love the Movi M5 as it just works)
Had a play for a couple of hours hand held today with the G3 and it always just never felt dialled in, it actually reminded me of the Alexmos at times.
If anyone is going to get this, it would be a good idea to get the bluetooth module as it makes live changes when its on and plugged into the PC

It really does seem nice until you start to push it a bit, and there is a hard stop on the tiltgoing forward which personally I think does not have enough angle as it reached the hard stop quite easily, it would be OK if flying slowly forward, but if you gave it any hard flying I think there is a good chance it would hit the hard stop.
Anyhow long story short, I was testing it out for a couple of hours then suddenly it completely lost power (I had it hooked up to a 3s battery) both lights on the controller went out, I plugged a receiver into it and it lit up OK so it was still getting power OK, but the gimbal power simply died, so its on its way back to try and find out what happened.
Ill have to wait on a replacement to come, just wish Movi made a really light M2, as it just works without any hassle.

I had high hopes for the G3 but in the short time I had with it, it may need a bit of tuning, especially when you push it a bit (very similar to the Alexmos as I mentioned)
Anyone else any experiences with the G3?

Zaxxon

I received my G3-5D today (strange having a courier delivery on a Sunday).
Good news and bad news ref the weight. Here in th eUK we have a 7kg weight limit for flying in build up areas.

M690 with G3-5D gimbal, 1x Align 5200mah Lipo & Canon 5D Mk3 with a 16-35mm lens = 7.1kg

M690 with G3-5D gimbal, 1x Align 5200mah Lipo & Canon 5D Mk3 with a 50mm 1.4 lens = 6.8kg

M690 with G3-5D gimbal, 2x Align 5200mah Lipo & Canon 5D Mk3 with a 16-35mm lens = 7.9kg

Looks like I'll be stuck with the 50mm 1.4 prime lens, but this is a great lens for video. I'll have to keep an eye out for a lighter wide angle. The 17-40 is 140g lighter so it may be a possibility.

For reference the Canon 5D Mk3 is 990g with out a lens. With the 16-35mm lens it is 1675g[/QUOTE]

WP_20141116_18_33_02_Pro__highresLarge_zps099664a0.jpg

WP_20141116_18_31_51_Pro__highresLarge_zpsfad18265.jpg

WP_20141116_18_37_56_Pro__highresLarge_zpsb6a0b8ec.jpg

Efliernz

Pete
I see a few M690's out there now and they have been promoted as a turnkey pro solution. After seeing my local shop's demo machine, it obviously needs tweaking... no surprises for any of us that have been doing this for a few years. In fact the shop installed longer tubes to support the GH4 gimbal so it would balance against the size of his packs.

The big questions (and I have been searching the net)... excluding Aligns pro videos (which showed level issues), has anyone seen any pro level aerial video from a 5Diii or GH4 in normal +5mph wind conditions. When I say pro level - I'm interested in commercial level that you would charge real money for...TV or advertising. Yes... better than a Gopro lol ;)

Cheers, Pete

Dave_EP

Zaxxon, thanks for all the pictures.

Do you have it flying yet -- or -- when do you expect to have it flying?

What is the software like?

I'm still holding off a purchase of either the M690 or the S900 until we can get some more info and sample footage from M690 flights.

Also, it sounds like the GH4 + 12-35 would be a no brainer for keeping under 7Kg - 932g with lens, hood, card and battery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey Dave,

Honestly, between the M690 and S900. I would 100% go with the M690, I say this due to the fact that I don't trust DJI. Everyone on the Align Facebook group loves the M690, the build quality is very high compared to the S900.

Just my .02cents

Cheers,

Zaxxon

Zaxxon, thanks for all the pictures.

Do you have it flying yet -- or -- when do you expect to have it flying?

What is the software like?

I'm still holding off a purchase of either the M690 or the S900 until we can get some more info and sample footage from M690 flights.

Also, it sounds like the GH4 + 12-35 would be a no brainer for keeping under 7Kg - 932g with lens, hood, card and battery.

Hi Dave,
I'm currently getting to grips with a Futaba 14SG that turned up yesterday, I decided not to fly £6000 of drone and camera with a £130 Taranis (No issues with the Taranis really except the build quality reflects the low price).

I hope to fly it this Saturday without Gimbal and if the weather is kind I will add the Gimbal and 5D on Sunday.

The config software seems to be very good so far, it's seems to be on par with DJI anyway. I agree ref the GH4 and 12-35. I may get one just for video. Although having started playing with my DJI550 and the new GoPro4 I am amazed at the quality of the new camera so I'll stick with that at the moment as it is well under 7kg and would be my preferred drone to use in a built up area.

Dave_EP

Are you going single or dual controller? It sounds like single.

I may look in to the GoPro4 as an upgrade for the P2, but I definitely need something that can carry a better respected camera as well.

Since I have both the 5D3 and GH4 the Align seems the better option, assuming it's not grossly difficult to swap between them and re-balance, so feedback on that would be appreciated too :)

I'm more concerned about the lack of field testing so would appreciate any links you have to reviews and or user groups...

Wicked

Thanks for the pix. I enjoy seeing real photos.

That sucker is huge. I hope to have mine on Friday.

I built the 690 to basic build tonight, I just need to add the VTX and Taranis reciever.

It was a very easy built, taken 3 hours so far. The frame when the arms are screwed into the flight position is rock solid. One thing I will need to put together will be a transporting case or foam type holder.

WP_20141112_22_36_06_Pro__highresLarge_zpsf3eb53e7.jpg

WP_20141112_22_33_55_Pro__highresLarge_zps97ee89ca.jpg

WP_20141112_22_37_04_Pro__highresLarge_zps9cf66098.jpg

WP_20141112_22_38_47_Pro__highresLarge_zps3aae92e2.jpg

WP_20141112_22_43_59_Pro__highresLarge_zpsece00b46.jpg

WP_20141112_22_50_43_Pro__highresLarge_zps350e4b69.jpg

I have read about the prop retaining issue and will work around it. For those that don't know, the screws may be to long. They have enough bite in the mounting, but if you torque down too far you go through the motor housing and into the winding's, so dead motor.

I have finally got my 690 here & together (to my liking) to a point where I am ready to do some flight tests tomorrow weather permitting.

Hopefully this post can be seen as an impartial view so far, having already had experience of a colleagues S900.

I have ended up heat shrinking leads as they come out of each arm & protecting all cables as they pass through carbon fibre cut outs and holes to meet CAA/EuroUSC safety & construction requirements.

I had an issue with the motor test, as they wouldn't, (I'd got the control leads in a pin too low) very easy to do.

My retracts were a little reticent to move the full travel until cycled about 12-15 times. What caused this I don't know.

I have to say that the manual was written by Ikea's 'B' team from about 20 years ago.

COG is fun. I am initially testing with no gimbal, & a single 5200mAh pack, & even with this on the front battery tray it's very tail heavy. I have ended up putting 800grams on the gimbal rails to balance it.

The software is pretty similar to DJI's, although they have RTH, FS on one switch, & Atti or Manual, Atti, GPS (speed or angular NOT both) on another. I have the Bluetooth add on extra, which seems to work well & has all the features of the PC application to tune on site with iOS/Android.

There are things I like & dislike about the 690 compared to a S900.
Like-
Power control switch/system
Battery tray system
Lighter/less complicated retracts
Chance of different gimbals with different cameras & lenses.
I have a feeling it's going to be more efficient weight for weight

Dislike-
Thumb screw arm locking screws, as think they are a pain & slow, & will poss get dropped/lost or cross threaded if not careful.
Payload & battery (CoG) out front & rear, a good way as well, where S900's is generally central.
Size folded for transport, as its massive compared to a S900 & the arms won't lock folded.
Supposed to fly with canopy on as FC is supposed to need it.
Lack of access to power module/wiring on lower frame without taking the whole thing apart.

Unrelated directly to the airframe, if you follow the info on FB, I think the fact that Align have sent gimbals out to well known Pro's & Hobbyist's to do tuning work for them now (after launch) says a lot.

I think this thing has a lot of potential, but would have probably bought a S900 to get my Ops manual in & flight assessment done rather than having to do the fine development work that Align should have done prior to launch, knowing what I know now.

HTH

Wicked

Curious,

With it being so tail heavy do you find that it sways back a lot?

I don't plan on putting a gimbal on mine for a while. I am wondering if maybe I should be going for a 480 then.

Great write up btw.

Wicked

Curious,

I don't plan on putting a gimbal on mine for a while. I am wondering if maybe I should be going for a 480 then.

Great write up btw.

Curious,

Great write up btw.

I have only done a motor test & a 30sec take off & 2m hover prior to putting the ballast out front, & yes on take off it tilted back, but sway, definitely no, it stabilised quickly into a hover.

The arms are different lengths & in different angular positions on a M480L but it is still designed to carry the payload G3-GH out front on the rails (maybe in a slightly different position on the rails) but I can't say categorically as have not seen one. Essentially the frames are the same only the arms are different

Align have a smaller quad designed for a GoPro gimbal they are supposed to be launching Christmas/New Year.

Wicked

Hey thanks.

I do plan on mounting a GH4 by the summer. For right now I have a cheap eBay 2 axis gimbal I'll use.

Well now I've had 5 flights today on the 690.

I think previous comments about Align gear are pretty well founded.
Mechanically/electrically & general build are good.

Electronics & software algorithms in the FC less so. Definitely a work in progress & will some work by end users.
Hopefully there will be a firmware update for the FC with some 'smoothing & finessing'.

This is my personal 2p comparing it to DJI Naza Mv2 let alone the Wookong.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Oh yeah? Can you provide more detail?

If past history continues to be true, they will promise updates, but it's unlikely to ever come. After about a year, they will release a completely new system, which will come with new and different deficiencies, which will never be fixed either. Some times they do fix things, but the performance will never be as good as other systems.

This is why I don't like Align electronics.

GPS lock seems to take an age even when 16-18 are available, this is taking off from the same spot, just effectively power cycling it.

Hover locks in well vertically & horizontally but transition into flight can be abrupt (this is all on stock settings, with CoG well balanced, 800g ballast on gimbal rails, single Align 5200mAh pack on forward mount).

There seems latency in transition from moving flight (even very gentle stuff) to stop from centre stick, then very abrupt stop like hanging out an anchor. Not tried to tune this out yet. This is all in GPS velocity mode, on a completely still day with the same Tx/Rx I use for my naza with no expo etc.

The biggy though is getting a straight forward/backward flight path, even with declination correctly set & the gps puck correctly mounted, at low level (<5m) above about 10m it seems fine.

The propulsion system is pretty efficient as I was getting 7mins flight with 30% left in these packs.

The battery level protection is abrupt and seems to look for the first dip in voltage then can initiate both levels of protection at once. This I have reset thresholds but it is still very abrupt, again making me think this algorithm needs polish compared to naza. I had a RTH on 50% full pack on one flight before I realised the FC had taken over.

Generally there seems a latency in the FC response to stick inputs, & when it does, it over does it, if that makes sense, almost like the processor & algorithms are getting overloaded with info then over compensating to catch up. This just makes it feel 'detached' in flight, where the Naza doesn't.

Needless to say I won't be putting the gimbal or my GH4 on it until I can do a lot more tuning :apathy: