Multi-rotor used on Gold Rush,

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the new Hexacopter flies 70 mph! but it crashed for no apparent reason just before it was to get the big shot!

my heart goes out to the guys that were on scene trying to make it work for the production but what a time for it to glitch and hit the dirt!

an S800 with a zenmuse, fwiw.

they did better with it later in the show and got some nice shots. one of the operators was named Patrick, of Aerial Media Pros maybe? I missed the part where they might have been introduced on camera.

Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

janoots2

Muutirotor used on Gold Rush,

Yeah, everytime I watch discovery and nat geo, I scream to my wife, "that's a multirotor shot!" It seems to be happening more and more, almost like a nervous tick. She's starting to get pissy(er) since my machines already own the garage :)

Tomstoy2

I thought the show did an excellent job introducing the multi to the program. Just goes to show what a serious tool these can be! The falls shot was just spectacular!

Bartman

was that a Black Magic on the zenmuse? the falls shots were really nice, excellent video quality!

one of the operators was named Patrick, of Aerial Media Pros maybe? I missed the part where they might have been introduced on camera.

Bart

Patrick Weir is one of the operators, wasn't me. We did sell these guys their S800, and keep in touch almost weekly with them. They sent us the clip of the waterfall quite a while back. Since then, they have been filming Aerial Non Stop. These guys fly their s800 all day almost every day. They have flown the Hell out of it in some of the harshest conditions, from the Jungles to the Alaskan glaciers. I think the work they do is pretty damn spectacular. I love watching the show, because its so clear to spot the S800 Shots. Freakin awesome. Here is one of their reels.

Patrick

SamaraMedia

Yeah, everytime I watch discovery and nat geo, I scream to my wife, "that's a multirotor shot!" It seems to be happening more and more, almost like a nervous tick. She's starting to get pissy(er) since my machines already own the garage :)

i notice ice the same thing on HGTV when my wife has it on, seems to be pretty wide spread down in Florida where the shows are produced. Every time I see it I say the same thing, glad to see it becoming more accepted and visible, makes me less weary when I consider something for hire. Now if I could only get one rig working flawlessly I'd be all set.

SamaraMedia

Patrick Weir is one of the operators, wasn't me. We did sell these guys their S800, and keep in touch almost weekly with them. They sent us the clip of the waterfall quite a while back. Since then, they have been filming Aerial Non Stop. These guys fly their s800 all day almost every day. They have flown the Hell out of it in some of the harshest conditions, from the Jungles to the Alaskan glaciers. I think the work they do is pretty damn spectacular. I love watching the show, because its so clear to spot the S800 Shots. Freakin awesome. Here is one of their reels.

Patrick

Wow!

Olemil

That was a great display of what MR's can do and I was proud to own one after watching gold rush. Glad they finally got it all sorted out because they took some beautiful footage for sure!!! Thank you Patrick for the video clip also, he does some great video work hands down!!!

Bartman

Perhaps we should give DJI a little credit for making it all possible.

very true Denny, for all the debate that goes on around here regarding DJI, the footage speaks for itself and will be a valid calling card for DJI for the foreseeable future.

Bart

coreyperez

I've just recently started getting into the editing side of this as well. I have a friend with a Nikon DSLR so we figured we would start small (550 w/gopro & contour cameras), move up to the NEX series cameras. I have a way to contact a guy here in Korea who does most, if not all the aerial work for KBC (Korean Broadcasting Co) and has done some amazing work as well. I'm hoping to be the sole POC for the 2ID or at a minimum 3-2 AVN RGT here at Camp Humphreys and gain my experience here.

On a side note, I got HUGE goosebumps at the end... I had purchased that website a little bit ago! (lowaltitudeaerial.com) hot diggity!

Corey

Quinton

See someones put it up on Youtube for anyone that hasn't seen it yet.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Yeah, I loved that showreel! But having your aircraft fall out of the sky in front of the director is still a major bummer! Glad it didn't seem to affect business!

deluge2

In the end, I guess they loved it! All the more dramatic tension, even on the technical side. Plus they got some fantastic shots too...

It would be interesting to get some more 'behind the scenes' technical details (beyond the interesting brief summaries from AMP) on what it takes to operate under those kinds of conditions, including lessons learned, flight checklists, and extent of back-up hardware required to minimize downtime.

Steve