gopro fpv?

corn holio

i am new to the forums. i have flown multicopters for two years now and it is time i build a new primary quad to replace my gaui 330xs. (R.I.P. the old *****) i want to include an avionics system in my new chopper ( an fpv system, and an osd with all the bells and whistles.) my first thought was to have a gopro as my recording camera and a separate fpv cam. after spending time on the forums i see that you can use a gopro as an fpv camera. my question is can i record with the gopro, AND use it as an fpv cam. also if anyone knows about ground stations, tracking antennes, how to get long flight times on a quad, and how to get long range controller and camera range please help me.

P.S. i am looking into the dji naza m. is it a great control board.

serpa4

i am new to the forums. i have flown multicopters for two years now and it is time i build a new primary quad to replace my gaui 330xs. (R.I.P. the old *****) i want to include an avionics system in my new chopper ( an fpv system, and an osd with all the bells and whistles.) my first thought was to have a gopro as my recording camera and a separate fpv cam. after spending time on the forums i see that you can use a gopro as an fpv camera. my question is can i record with the gopro, AND use it as an fpv cam. also if anyone knows about ground stations, tracking antennes, how to get long flight times on a quad, and how to get long range controller and camera range please help me.

P.S. i am looking into the dji naza m. is it a great control board.

The answer is yes. There are cables that allow you to do video out of the GoPro and use as a recorder and FPV camera at the same time. I was about to do this, but after some digging, decided it is best not to.
1) There is some lag. Upto 1 second, camera dependent. 1 sec many not seem like long, but when you come up on a tree branch, fence, etc, 1 second is a long time to be behind.
2) I've ready many reports of the video out randomly stops working, stops recording, etc. So, the money saved by using one camera is quickly spent replacing your craft.
3) The video out quality depends on your video transmitter and reciever, not the camera. A HD gopro will NOT give you a better picture than a quality FPV camera.
4) GoPro have a separate battery. One more thing to charge or forget to be charged, or go dead mid flight. There are cables that will allow you to charge the GoPro while in use via a 5v source, but once again, more complications.

Do some more research and make an intelligent choice.

For reference, I have not flown my quadcopter FPV yet. Still in a kit to be built. My advice may not be well validated.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hi. I've used a separate FPV cam and the Gopro. I prefer the FPV cam because it responds better to changes in light but also like the Gopro because of the wide angle view. The Gopro needs to be started in just the right way or it freezes. The FPV cam is just plug and play.

The Naza is awesome!

Using Tapatalk...

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The answer is yes. There are cables that allow you to do video out of the GoPro and use as a recorder and FPV camera at the same time. I was about to do this, but after some digging, decided it is best not to.
1) There is some lag. Upto 1 second, camera dependent. 1 sec many not seem like long, but when you come up on a tree branch, fence, etc, 1 second is a long time to be behind.
2) I've ready many reports of the video out randomly stops working, stops recording, etc. So, the money saved by using one camera is quickly spent replacing your craft.
3) The video out quality depends on your video transmitter and reciever, not the camera. A HD gopro will NOT give you a better picture than a quality FPV camera.
4) GoPro have a separate battery. One more thing to charge or forget to be charged, or go dead mid flight. There are cables that will allow you to charge the GoPro while in use via a 5v source, but once again, more complications.

Do some more research and make an intelligent choice.

For reference, I have not flown my quadcopter FPV yet. Still in a kit to be built. My advice may not be well validated.

Of the half dozen or so FPV quads I have I fly two of them exclusively through the GoPro, I have yet to see any kind of lag that would be problematic. If there is any appreciable lag it's well under a second as I've always managed to avoid tree branches and other immovable objects but maybe that has more to do with my 100 plus hours flight time behind the goggles.

Using the video out connection I have yet to have the video stop working due to anything related to the GoPro. I have had it stop working due to a broken wire between the GoPro and the VTX but that can happen regardless of the camera in use, that's when it's really nice to have that RTH switch on the TX and know that it works.

Video out quality does depend somewhat on the video link but also on the camera and the method you use to view the video. I've had three sets of Fatshark goggles so far, the Basic, the Dominators, and now the Attitude. By far the basics had the worst video resolution, it was a revelation to swap to the Dominators and see how good the video could be from the downlink. Unfortunately the Doms don't have adjustable interpupillary distance as the Basic and Attitude do so I have to sell them and move to the Attitude. In doing so I lost the ability to swap the receiver in the goggles, the Attitude video RX is built in and not behind a removable hatch as on the Dominator, but gained a slightly better resolution on the screens and a much stronger 5.8 receiver. There is a definite difference in color and image clarity between a GoPro @ 720p HD vs. a dedicated 540 line FPV camera when viewed through Fatshark goggles. The GoPro view is wider and sharper by far, making it much easier to see what is around you vs the more straight ahead view of the FPV cam. the one area that can be problematic is when the GoPro is pointed towards a bright light source such as flying into the sun, the video is washed out and detail disappears until you move the lens away. Not so much of a problem once you've got a lot of FPV stick time but a real issue for beginners and something to keep in mind when deciding on which camera to use on a first FPV multi.

As far as the GoPro battery is concerned, make sure to fully charge it BEFORE leaving for the field just as you would the battery for your TX or any other piece of equipment you depend on to fly. Beyond that, get a battery backpack and install it on the GoPro, effectively doubling the battery capacity to the poin t of being good for an entire day of FPV and video recording. If weight is a concern you can purchase extra battery packs and remote chargers so you can have a fully charged battery to swap over to if the current one gets too low. Check the battery status before flying and if it's at one bar change it out, they drop off extremely fast one they get to one bar and it's good practice to not fly at that level.

That said, you can spend a lot or a little on an FPV camera and expensive is not necessarily better. Lately I've been using the Fatshark RCV922 cameras and they've proven to be pretty darn good. There are better cameras in the same price range but the LHS doesn't carry those, there's something to be said for being able to just go to the shop and get the camera when I need it vs having to wait a week and paying shipping costs for ordering online.

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
hero3 in all flavors freezes up the output and sucks as a flight cam unless your whilling to record in SD. it becomes letterbox and shrinks the already small view in any hd format

$80 gets you the best fpv cam available

ewr

I agree with RTR...I use a GPH3 Black with a 64Gb Sandisc Ultra card and never have issues with freezing/lag using is for live feed and recording. Again..you check to make sure you main pack is charged before you fly, so why wouldn't you check your camera batt during pre flight also? Yes it's one more thing to "worry" about...but that's it. A lot of the freezing issues ALL GPH3 users, not just us FPV'ers, were having were due to a firmware update issue, I followed the instructions when I got it and it's never did anything odd (knock on wood) Any FPV cam will obviously win in weight, sometimes being 1/4 of the weight of a GP depending on model and which mounts you use...might be a factor if you have a small craft.

marcus621000

Ewr so its quite ok to use gph3 as fpv,i guess i am thinking the same as corn holio,why have 2 cameras when 1 will do.what cabling will i need to fit this gph3 up to my quad,and how long do you think hero4 battery will last doing this.
I also see the other point in using dedicated fpv camera,which is the best camera to use in this regard,i have seen Tbs 69 camera but 179,00 is far to much.

ewr

I can't say if it will be OK as obviously there are people like kloner and serpa who had it not work well for them. I don't know your setup so I can't say what you will need exactly...I would start by browsing RMRC's "cables" section and getting the GP3 cable, then whatever regulators/cables you need to connect it to whatever you want onboard (OSD, straight to Tx etc)

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hey. I've using my GoPro as an FPV cam after posting in this topic. It only freezes if you start the cam before the hexa for me. Easily remedied. I should point out my live feed has never ever frozen. Only the recording. I like the wide FOV of the GoPro and I know exactly what I'm recording which is nice.

Cheers!

Using Tapatalk...

SMP

Hey Chris,

Was talking to Tezcan at RC shutter yesterday and still apprently nobody's hit the grail on the GP3 Silver/Black for Start and Stop and Power. Looking at that one seems like they're in the same boat with only start on GP3 Silver/Black and further qualifies it based on Firmware... Crossing my fingers sombedy finds it soon.

LL-Cool-T

hero3 in all flavors freezes up the output and sucks as a flight cam unless your whilling to record in SD. it becomes letterbox and shrinks the already small view in any hd format

$80 gets you the best fpv cam available

Kloner, what FPV cam do you recommend for 80 bucks?

SMP

Used to use Gopros for FPV...then I listened to kloner ^ and use these on all 4 of our birds. Cheap. Works. Kloner sez.

LL-Cool-T

Kloner, I was told that you're the "go to guy" when it comes to FPV. I'm new to this and is like to set up my quad. I'll grab one of those cameras that you sell and what else should I start out with. I'm using a dx7 and a 450 flame wheel with naza and GPS. I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Lou

kloner

Aerial DP
the team black sheep core is a really big deal, especialy with getting a camera like this. it has a solid filtered 12v power supply but it also has a pretty simple osd that prevents alot of problems. mainly shows voltage, mah used and if you have it, an rssi value like frsky or ezuhf type of systems offer. the voltage/mah is probably the most important, tells you your going down before you head that way..... if you don't use that, the camera i suggested only works on 3s, 4s will smoke it.

LL-Cool-T

Ok. I'm currently only using 3s right now so I guess I'll be ok. I do plan on getting a tbs disco but I wanted to try it with what I have so when I crash I'm not thrashing the disco frames. What type of receiver/trans should I run, 5.8, 1.3? Or maybe something else. Thank you for your input.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:

almphoto

Kloner,
I am in the process of building a DJI550 and have landing gear with a GoPro gimbal. I want to install FPV so I can see where the camera is pointed and for FPV flights. I noticed above that you said the 3s batteries would work but the 4s batteries would not. I had planned on using 4s batteries. What is the best FPV set up in your opinion, without breaking the bank?

Current build:
DJI F550 Kit
DJI NAZA w/GPS
NAZA FlameGear Landing Gear + GoPro Camera Mount
Futaba 8FG Super TX and R6208SB RX

I had planned on
HYPERION G3 VX 5400 MAH 4S 14.8V 35C/65C LIPOLY PACK but I have not purchesed them yet.

I have been flying RTFs and BNFs, this is my first actual build.

Thanks in advance for your advice.