FPV Tx Rx advice

Charlie.

Hi there guys,

I am building my first multicopter which is a DJI F550 and am thinking about buying an FPV setup to use with my GoPro Hero 3 black edition.

I have looked around a bit for a cheap setup and have found this:

http://www.buyincoins.com/new_en/de...camera-transmitter-receiver-product-1822.html
(with voucher code comes to about £35 with free international registered airmail.)

Does it look any good? I will probably only be flying a max of about 1 mile away. As the device above is 1.2ghz will it interfere with the 2.4ghz Frsky module I bought for my Turnigy 9XR?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Charlie

Tomstoy2

She will reach out ther, no problem. The problem is that on a small frame like a 550 you would probably end up stepping all over your system!
Honestly, you don't need much power, it's all about the antenna.
1.2 is great for range and burning thru trees and such, but honestly, 5.8 does a hell of a lot better job with quality of image. 400mwon 5.8 is more than adequate for a mile.
However, to go a mile you had better plan on going with a uhf for your radio or you really risk loosing signal.

Whatever you do, the best advise I can give you is to do your homework! Read everything you can about fpv first, then ask questions before pushing the buy button.

kloner

Aerial DP
1.2 will interfere your 2.4 radio and needs a filter, it also screws with gps navigation, and like he said, to powerful

Charlie.

Ok so do you reckon a 5.8Ghz tx would be a better bet? I do like the idea of the 1.2ghz though because of its penetration properties so that I could fly through trees and things.

Would a 900mhz also affect or be affected by the 2.4ghz radio? What are the disadvantages of this system, eg image quality, range etc

thanks again

kloner

Aerial DP
900 the picture quality starts going away and the antennas are massive.

5.8 has crazy high quality picture but the signals harder to work with. the ultimate is 2.4 video, but it takes a $350 433 rc radio system to work, that's what i use

ATFlyer

I suspect from your price quote (in £'s) that you are based in the UK.
If that is so, using 1.2GHz is illegal because it is used for full size aeronautical navigation purposes and using 900MHz is illegal because it is used for mobile phones.

Unauthorised use of these frequencies is a criminal offence. If you are caught using illegal equipment Ofcom have the power to confiscate the transmission equipment together with everything that is connected to it - that means your entire FPV rig.

Whatever you choose, please keep away from 1.2GHz. I doubt anyone on this forum really cares if you break the law & end up in court from upsetting Vodafone, but interfering with nav aids will attract bad press and make the tabloids think its Christmas!

Charlie.

Thanks for the information ATFlyer,

I think I am going to go with the 5.8Ghz system. Interesting that you say we are only allowed to use 25mw kloner. Surely you would only get a distance of like 100m with that! I have been offered a 200mw 5.8Ghz system on here, so is that illegal in the UK?

Thanks

ATFlyer

Yup. That's more or less the case. We do have use of 2.4GHz still but that's crowded.
The fundamental worry of the original post is that Charlie intends on flying up to a mile away. We are only allowed to fly a maximum of 500 metres from ourselves and a maximum of 400 feet. We have to retain visual line of sight - even if that's our spotter.

Charlie - if you are in the UK please read the Air Navigation Order!! And be safe :nevreness:

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie.

So even a 5.8ghz 200mw is illegal? What devices even use 5.8Ghz anyway?

Would a 25mw transmitter even reach 500m?

thanks again

ATFlyer

Hi Charlie!

Strictly speaking yes 200mw is illegal.
However, in my opinion (I'm not saying that this is what I do :highly_amused: but ........) since 5.8GHz is a frequency allowed for video it is not unreasonable to use this band. Since the TX is likely to be some distance away from anybody else (other than fellow FPV'ers) using the frequency you are unlikely to cause annoyance. My understanding of this type of regulation is that there will only be an issue if your actions cause an objectionable effect to a third party who subsequently makes a complaint.

ATFlyer

Personally I would never dream of using 500mW even though "a friend" gets great performance from the DJI TX/RX with the cloverleaf antennas.

Im no expert on RF tech (but sadly anal about the law regarding these things!) but I think that the aerials are the important pieces in the chain. The cloverleaf type which you linked to seem to be the best.

kloner

Aerial DP
yes those are good, but rp is bosscam only i think.

The immersion 5.8 25mw transmitter and the new immersion uno 5.8 v2 receivers have miles of range. Trappy helped make that deal work. if i was using that system, i'd stick to the fat shark/immersion cp antennas. There cheap and hard to break

wizzy87

Hey Charlie,

This is the setup I have and fly in the UK and currently had no problems (just a suggestion and you should never fly illegally!)

Do you have Goggles already?

From Firstpersonview.co.uk good website for the UK

Clover leaf antennas good range!

http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/antennas/5.8ghz/immersionrc-5.8ghz-antenna-set-2-antennas

The Transmitter 5.8 GHz

http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/transmitters/5.8ghz/5.8ghz-long-range-transmitter

I use a separate camera to my Gopro that purely records, as the GoPros have been known to fail during flights.

the quality of this little camera is great, even good in low light conditions.

http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/cameras/mini-color-camerasony-13exview-had-ccd8545tm-ccd

Hope this helps!

Charlie.

Thanks wizzy,

Problem is I am on a pretty tight budget and that setup blows it out of the water!

What mW value is that transmitter you linked me, I can't find info on the page. I am assuming it is more than the 25mW limit and I don't have any licenses!

I don't think Ofcom will come knocking on my door using a 200mw tx when I have seen others flying in the UK with 2W on youtube :)

Should I buy the kit I mentioned above just to start with?

Charlie.

Also, I am about to mount my radio receiver in my hexacopter but need to know a few things first.

1: I am using the Frsky D8R-II Plus receiver which has 2 little antennae sticking out the back. Where should these be positioned on the hexacopter?

2: I will be using a Turnigy 9XR with the above receiver (and frsky module obviously), but the channels on the receiver are only labelled 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. Which numbers do I connect to each input on the NAZA?

3: How would I actually go about binding my receiver to my transmitter? Does it need a bind plug or is that only for spektrum radios? Do I just need to press the F/S buttons on both the receiver and transmitter module?

4: My 9XR has not arrived yet so should I position my receiver in my hexacopter and then screw the top plate on or should I wait for the 9XR just to be safe if something was connected wrongly as it would be much harder once the top plate is on.

Thanks guys :)