Can motors be reversed if they are all reverse?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this but I am feeling too lazy to redo all my soldering joints. Hoverfly has the motors spinning one way, and DJI has them the opposite, of course. So now that I am using the NAZA I am curious if there is any reason, hypothetically, that if all motors turned the opposite direction and the props were the correct direction, why would it make a difference in flight?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this but I am feeling too lazy to redo all my soldering joints. Hoverfly has the motors spinning one way, and DJI has them the opposite, of course. So now that I am using the NAZA I am curious if there is any reason, hypothetically, that if all motors turned the opposite direction and the props were the correct direction, why would it make a difference in flight?

Theoretically it shouldn't. On the OP CC3D there is an option that says reverse all motors that does exactly that in the setup and I'm using it on my testbed quad since the motors were all opposite of what they needed to be ( don't ask). So the CC3D at least has no problem with spinning the motors in either direction as long as they have the proper alternating rotation and the props are correct for the direction the motor is spinning. Not having dug into it any further than that I can't say what checking that box in the GUI actually does in terms of changes it may make in the firmware that is running on the board to make that happen so it won't necessarily work for every flight controller. A custom mixer table would allow you to do the same thing but resoldering the connections might take less time. You could of course just try it and see what happens, make sure to get video... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

matwelli

could you not just swap motor connections to the FC ? if motor one spins CCW and motor 2 spins CW , and the FC wants motor one to me CW, then just swap them around ?

DennyR

The Yaw will be reversed but you could fix that in the Tx. But the main problem is that the stabilising function from the main controller would be working in the wrong direction so it would spin out of control when you lift off. Unless the MC can be changed in the software. Get the soldering iron out and change over two phases.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
well Mat's idea is the simplest. As my Fold-n-Fly is very small, the length of wires is short and tight(just the way I like my....yeah.) But it will be easiest to just swap motors around. Just curious more than anything. The reverse yaw makes sense. Thanks

matwelli

no!!!!! i was wrong !

i had Y6 on my mind, so was thing along those lines

if you are talking about a quad than i am steering you the wrong way !

do as denny and RTR have said and just get the soldering iron out

matzen

no!!!!! i was wrong !

i had Y6 on my mind, so was thing along those lines

if you are talking about a quad than i am steering you the wrong way !

do as denny and RTR have said and just get the soldering iron out

Hey i have the same problem.
But when i turn the two motors mounted on one arm of the y6, they spinning still the same direction.
The manual ( http://www.globe-flight.de/mediafiles//Anleitungen/DJI/Naza_de_v21.pdf P.40) says that every motor has to spin ccw if you are looking from above each motor.

FerdinandK

if you have a quad (and if possible) rotate the quad 90° then the motors turn correct again. If it is a hex, rotate 60°.

On a Koax it is not important since you can (should) drop the restriction of "all props in one plane turn in the same direction", you just connect the motors on the correct port on the FC regarding their rotation direction.

best regards
Ferdinand

matzen

if you have a quad (and if possible) rotate the quad 90° then the motors turn correct again. If it is a hex, rotate 60°.

On a Koax it is not important since you can (should) drop the restriction of "all props in one plane turn in the same direction", you just connect the motors on the correct port on the FC regarding their rotation direction.

best regards
Ferdinand

Hey,

it's a Y6 (Coax) so it should be possible to just switch the servo leads that are going into the naza.
I.e. upper left (now rotating CW - should rotate CCW) into the port of the lower left (rotating CCW - should rotate CW).
It should be no difference whether the CCW props are up or down?

FerdinandK

The position and the turning direction have to match. (if top or bottom is not important).

best regards
Ferdinand