New Build...

smrceo

I figured I would start a build thread to track my progress and input is always useful...

Here is what I have (by have I mean ordered but not delivered yet..):

An Aerial Design ADS 400-Q FPV frame with power board..
http://aerialdesign.net/buy.html

4- NTM 2826A - 1000kv motors with prop adaptors from HK
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21478__NTM_Prop_Drive_28_26_1000KV_315W.html

TBS Discovery 30amp escs with Simonk firmware.
http://team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:30aesc

Graupner 9x5 props (2xCW, 2CCW)

AR8000 with sat

Here is what im planning for rest of build but havent purchased yet...:

DJI Naza-M w/GPS
I know there are more affordable FC out there but im just starting and have some exposure to the DJI as another pilot I fly with is running one.

Battery - 4S??????

That is pretty much it..I already have my FPV gear. Im currently running FatShark Dominators on 5.8 with 600mw tx and spironet antenna. I use a GoPro Hero 2 rt now for both recording and live feed camera. Not sure what drawback therw is to this setup(camera) but I notice most people run a gopro for filming and a Sony low lux for flight cam.

Opinions/thoughts please! Thanks

Steve

Sent from my Galaxy SIII with Tapatalk...spelling will be bad:)

smrceo

I am pretty settled on 4S but no clue what size. I beleive I can fit 4S 3300mah without issue.

smrceo

I received my frame. It looks pretty good. Im used to building helis with detailed instructions. I felt more like i was playing with legos. Put what ever where ever i want. Illl get pics up soon. Now I just need my FC and im all set.

smrceo

Xmas in feb...just got the ntm motors and the tbs escs so tonight I start building. The ads 400q dirty frame is lil small but ill cram it all in somehow.

smrceo

Decided on 4S after talking to several people. Smoother response from what I can tell at the higher rpm.

smrceo

I started assembly on the dirty frame tonight since I have everything but the controller. I wish the dirty frame had about half an inch more in length. I bought TBS 30amp esc and they have the female bullets soldered onto them and this makes them lil bit on the big/long side vs other esc. No biggy though I figired it out. I will post picture(s) tomorrow if time permits.

Sent from my SIII with Tapatalk...spelling will be bad:)

Last edited by a moderator:

smrceo

I never got to the pics before but finished dirty frame. Just waiting on the gps which should be here monday..

IMG_20130221_180901_zps33d7c458.jpg

smrceo

20130221_195715_zps352c565c.jpg

20130221_195701_zpsd6cbd33b.jpg

20130221_195654_zps494f6506.jpg

20130221_195632_zps087b2216.jpg

Im happy so far for my first build. I did help a friend build a ht flip-fpv with a naza and we maidened it today. I know my battery lead is long and it will be trimmed once my new flight packs are in and top platr is on so I know where to route.

smrceo

Well I talked to some owners of the same frame and realized I had two small oversites. One is I came across some 9x5 graupners which do not fit so I ordered some 8x5s...the other is I stacked the escs because there isnt a lot of room in dirty frame..this may cause some heat issues. I have telemetey temp sensor going in between two escs and going to monitor and change if needed.

postaL

OOooOoOoooOOOoo.

I have one of these frames comin' in this week. Can't wait to get it together and in the air!

smrceo

20130227_000241_zps72b285ee.jpg

Finally finished my build and setup. Ran into an issue when calibrating gps where afterwards my motors wouldnt arm...weird but I will get that sorted tomorrow and maiden...

smrceo

Decided to sort it out tonight. Recalibrated TX in Naza asistant. Appears my throttle travel wasnr going to true 0% so the CSC wasnt working to arm motors. I am glad I looked throigh setup because I found my GPS module mounting location was set way off its actual position (fat fingered some extra digits). I havent maidened yet but I did test everything one more time and finished i nstalling my graupner 8x5 props. Will report back tomorrow with maiden...

smrceo

Just finished maiden hover. Had gains way high so oscilated pretty bad. I have both pitch and roll on knob and atti gains on r trim on my dx8 and it works pretty good so was able to dial down gains. Once I find sweet spot ill prob set and inhibit the remote ability. Will get maiden flight filmed and uploaded later.

smrceo

Was able to get four flights in today. Ill jave the very uneventful vids up shortly.

smrceo

Youtube messed up my first flight video so ill get it up once fixed...

Here is the second very uneventful flight. Tsting flight modes and tuning the gains a little.

smrceo

Finally got the maiden vid uploaded. it is fairly uneventful as the second flight until i tried manual mode..lol