JEllo jello... and i just can't get rid of it!!! :(

I'm about to just accept that i cant get decent video now on the TBS Discovery.
I get more or less jellofree video from the F550 i have, but when it comes to the disco it's seems impossible.

Today i took the most beautiful shots with my Discovery around churches, frozen water ... but it's all messed up.
I thought it would end up fine, because today was the first time i used the earbud mod, but no... still very messed up.
I've balanced the props, which i'm not 100% sure is right either, because when i use the magnetic balancer, and the prop is perfectly in balance, and switch sides on the hub, the blade seems out of balance again... which obviously is not right and i bought a pretty expensive balancer from eflight... tried foam dampening for the camera from hobbyking, and now i tried the earbud mod... still jello...

Anything left to do?

The setup is a TBS discovery with TBS motors, 900 kv's ...

kloner

Aerial DP
put your camera on the ear buds and show me what it sits on it like, the rubber band, etc

if the props aren't right, i'd start there. if you get graupners you won't need to do anything but bolt and fly. There the only ones i ever consistently get perfect video

if theres ever been a broken prop, you've most likely killed a bearing. if it's a naza. it aint gonna keep flying normal forever so you need to get an upper hand on it or shes gonna flyaway

fredor

if it's a naza. it aint gonna keep flying normal forever so you need to get an upper hand on it or shes gonna flyaway

Could you elaborate on this for me, now you have me worried
Thank You

jcmonty

The rubber band looks a little tight to me. Mines pretty loose -which definitely helps Try adding an ND or polarizing filter. It helps force the camera to a lower shutter speed which helps smooth out some (counter-intuitive I know), but the image isn't as sharp.

Personally, I balance my graups. I have tried bolting them on, but balancing definitely helps.

I still get jello in strong light with my GP3, flying in lower light helps - but obviously is not ideal. I think that my motors are a little rough even after balancing. I am waiting for the release of some motor isolated mounts for the DJI arms which are coming out soon. Hopefully that will kill the last bit of vibes in my system

Yes, the bands are tight. The earbuds is shaped like the camera a minute after i remove it. But if you have loose rubberbands, isn't it a risk that u drop the gopro?

jcmonty

I haven't had an issue. You just have to make it tight enough that it's not going to fall off - shake the disco aggressively to test. When you compress the earbuds it loses some effectiveness

Ok, thanks for the tip, i'll test it tomorrow(it's 11pm and pitch black here).
They where compressed about 50% of their original size.

kloner

Aerial DP
try getting them more like 75% there size, narrow rubber band, try loosening it up till you see shake then tighten it down till before theres jello, theres a fine line between working and not

Take your props off and feel the motors powered up. if any feel like vibes, especialy if it's like a rolling wa, wa, wa,wa then it's a bad bearing, bent prop shaft, something

nazas hate vibrations like i last mentioned, they make nazas flyaway, leave, no control, see ya later.

Thanks for all help my friends,
Today i flew with almost no jello at all.

Only thing i did was balancing the tbs motors a little bit, and eased up on the pressure from the rubberbands.

Now i just have to find a good gainsetting... Its a wobbly experince even though i turned gains down a lot, but thats a nobrainer to fix!! :) video coming up soon!

ChrisViperM

Watching your dirty smile towards the end of the vid, I guess you enjoyed it.....

BTW: Real cool intro...

Chris

Malinois1

All,

Chad is right. I was noticing when I flew in the evening I had no jello. Broad daylight jello for days. You need use a ND4 filter to completely get rid of the jello. There are not many filters out there that fit the gopro, however there are a few on the market. Otherwise you will need to do some modifications.

Chadfish

I'm telling you the difference is dramatic! The Marumi ND4x SRP sells has the front of the ring machined off to get rid of any vignetting you can get on such a wide angle lens like the GoPro, and the lens itself is very high quality. They tested a bunch of lens' before settling on this particular one. Just watch the A/B footage. An ND filter is good for sunny days even without a jello issue. As a professional videographer, you typically want your shutter speed to be double the frame rate, though rules are meant to be broken of course. But generally speakng for 60fps you are shooting for 120 shutter seed, and the GoPro goes way past that because it does not have ND filters built-in like any other video camera. So it's just good videography to use NDs on sunny days. But don't trust my words. Watch the video:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chadfish

Plastic ND material degrades the image, unlike glass that's designed for photography. There's such a big difference in the final image between cheap plastic and proper glass. Also the ability to quickly remove the filter when the light changes is very convenient, as apposed to sticking your finger in the case and picking out the plastic and getting finger prints on it. That Blurfix3 just snaps on over the case, and will not fall off, even in a hard crash, though they provide a lanyard just in case.

kloner

Aerial DP
looks gnarly, that's all,,,,,, doubt it'd make in on a zephyr..... he is having a problem on a disco that doesn't fly with a case, most likely a layer lens and them plastic nd filters all the fpv guy use are like there not there...