My first FPV flight

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I decided to take my fold-n-fly up with us where we ride dirt bikes today. Using a hoverfly sport and no OSD. The Hoversport is pretty smooth but just not the right tool for a beginner fpv'er especially with no other flight tools such as artificial horizon. Holy crap that was one exhilarating 10 minutes! I can see the addiction. But there were a few things I was curious about. First off, flying without osd is just dangerous. The wide angle view gives you NO accurate idea as to how fast or how much cyclic you are giving it. What looked like 5 mph on the screen was faster than I have ever flown anything in real life. So why the super wide lens??? I would think a more realistic fov would be much easier to use as it would show depth of field. But also, having NO autolevel, no gps on top of no osd made this a real handful. Let's just say I was lucky to get it back.

I am curious if there are any other OSD's out that are decent other than the immersion. Funny I just sold mine. But it just gets to be too many things on board. The Hoverfly pro has it built in which is nice but it is too big/expensive and I would need 2 exposed boards in such a small area it would be asking for trouble. I am swapping out for the Naza/gps immediately as I absolutely need some other back up in the event of a melt down. There has to be something out there that is all in one and works. APM2.5 have osd bult in?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomstoy2

Hey IrisAerial! You got a good chuckle out of me just now, reading that. Flying fpv without osd and without a controller that doesn't have gps or a good hover capability at least is not for beginners, for sure.
Throw on that Naza/gps combo, keep your altitude up there until you get used to it and you'll be fine. I don't have an osd yet, either, but at least when I need to take a little time to regroup letting go of the sticks and knowing it's just going to sit there until I get my head out of my posterior is a huge help!
Plus, knowing that if I get lost and don't know which direction home is, which has happened once or twice, a simple flip of the switch to rth gets me sorted back out in a hurry.

Which fpv camera are you using? I'm just assuming you have a dedicated fpv camera hard mounted to the frame. If so, you can get a tighter lens and just screw it on. You are correct about a tighter field of view giving you better deffinition and depth.
I've got a 2.8 lens on mine and am thinking of going smaller fov with it. The smaller the number the tighter the view.

As far as osd goes, I've been patiently waiting for DJI to output gps coordinates so I can at least go find the thing if she goes down. Damn glad I didn't jump onto the IOSD thing when it came out. Not interrested is changing out my camera for a PAL just to get it to work, either.
People really seem to like the EagleTree osd's. Lots of features, easy to set up, ability to choose what you want to display and such. I've thought about it myself more than a few times. However, since I'm not running a long range system on my radio I'm just happy puttering around about 1/2 mile or so.
Now that WKM has upgraded the firmware again to include setting the travel distance that will really help out to keep it in radio range. Just waiting for the reports to roll in now and see if it's worth upgrading the firmware to. I'm happy with 5.16 and don't want to screw it up, which has happened in the past to me.

FPV is just such a kick in the butt! I just love it! What I'm really wanting though is for the gear to get even better, which I think we will see hopefully this year. Would just love to have a high def display!!!

Stacky

You do get used to flying fpv without OSD. Once you have got used to it judging distances and heights isnt a problem. I currently have a small quad I use for fpv fun which only has a KK2 board in it with no other frills. I mostly take off with the camera pointed at me, it gives me a good starting reference point. Also it was helpful when I first started out flying fpv. I ran through a couple of batteries simply trying to hover while looking at myself. It wont take you long and you will find fpv is much easier to fly than LOS.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I was all over the place, trying to "feel" for level. Good god I am lucky to have my quad back safely. I would otherwise be embarrassed to show this but it was a first. Ive actually bought fpv gear 3 times and spooked myself from using it. I might have freaked out and not gone through with a full flight via screen only if it wasnt out of necessity. What felt like 20' off the ground was about 200'. What felt like 5 mph was 50 mph. Artificial horizon is a must, especially without auto level.

Tomstoy2

Actually, I thought you did a pretty good job of it, considering.

Laughed my *** off when the dirt biker waved you off! I'm sure that wasn't all he did, either!

Probably not the best spot to try out fpv for the first time. Best take it out in the country somewhere.

Reminds me of my first few times, instability wise.
I mounted my FY91Q on f450 frame with undersized x300 electronics. What a damn handful that was. Crashed every damn time. Finally, put the fpv on my Hexa with the WKM and was amazed how well things went from then on. Actually found it not only enjoyable but very relaxing!
The Naza combo will take the edge off for you.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks. Those guys are friends I was riding with. The park is empty during the week so plenty of room. I'll give it another go with the naza and GPS. I just wish they sound integrate a simple OSD. I'm sure we all do.

stacky the OSD seems very slow and off. That would probably be a distraction IMHO. Needs to refresh quicker and actually be accurate.

Stacky

Yeah that was close to a year ago, the horizon was off as was the voltage indicator. HF have since fixed those and its much better now. Were you using goggles or a screen?.
I find if the fpv camera has too wide a lens it gets harder to judge distances, height and depth. I have a small selection of lenses I bought online for about $8, I think from readymaderc.
I do prefer to fpv with osd but when I fly without it I dont notice it missing.
Seriously though, it wont take you long to be pretty comfortable with it, I remember how strange it was at first and how nervous I was but its really easy for me now.

Thanks. Those guys are friends I was riding with. The park is empty during the week so plenty of room. I'll give it another go with the naza and GPS. I just wish they sound integrate a simple OSD. I'm sure we all do.

stacky the OSD seems very slow and off. That would probably be a distraction IMHO. Needs to refresh quicker and actually be accurate.

hjls3

much better than my first efforts. i bounced off my own roof - thinking i was nowhere near said roof. havent given it much effort since then. BTW that looks like a super fun place to ride and fly.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It was my gopro 2. I didnt want to risk my gp3 on my maiden voyage. I realized how much slop there is in the gopro case. Needs some ear plugs! Maybe smaller props as well. Seemed a little jerky.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Yuri, to get rid of the slop in the case stick a small strip velcro (the fuzzy side) on the bottom of the inside, it really snugs it up. I really dig your lil fpv flyer and almost went for it when you offered them up last week but I need another quad like I need another kid right now.

kloner

Aerial DP
oh, ok. Now you want earplugs. hahahaha ni-hao that's hillarious. I love this hobby and everybody in it. Lifts my spirit just a tad higher.

Danub

IrisAerial. . .I think that was a damn good first fpv with a multi!!. . . much better than my first attempts.
After 20 flights the only thing I think you will want to know is voltage which can be done with a HK super simple OSD for $9.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Does that HK osd have anything else on it? I could do without a second gps but would be nice to have voltage and art. horizon, maybe altitude.

Kloner, you learning anything here? :)

I will have my fold-n-fly's available with case on the site very soon. Technically they are available now but I haven't uploaded images. As for the beta units, they are spoken for already. These things are so cool. I loved being able to throw this ALL in a backpack and go ride it up the hill on my dirt bike.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm using one Axi 4120 hooked up to a 500mm srh blade. I got an old weedwacker motor for yaw. kidding

they are Tiger 2216's 900kv with Apc 9"SF, 4s