Futaba 8FG w/ R6208SB

kloner

Aerial DP
frsky and futaba don't bind. only thing futaba about that is the sbus signal coming out of it, sounds like plugs into other sbus stuff......

the fg has about a mile range, receivers are super expensive for the fasst algorithym royalties. i personally really like the 8J, it's s-fhss like ezuhf, dragon link, just 2.4 so it's not as strong. it is also over a mile range, new futaba brand rx's are $45 for it

JG-rn

frsky and futaba don't bind. only thing futaba about that is the sbus signal coming out of it, sounds like plugs into other sbus stuff......

the fg has about a mile range, receivers are super expensive for the fasst algorithym royalties. i personally really like the 8J, it's s-fhss like ezuhf, dragon link, just 2.4 so it's not as strong. it is also over a mile range, new futaba brand rx's are $45 for it

Looks like the 8j is only $20 less than the 8fg I posted in the first link.

would you still go with the 8j?

kloner

Aerial DP
and a $150 receiver to make the kit come together. the 8j rx's are $45...... how many models you got?

If i was never going to upgrade to long range uhf and i thought i'd need more than 8ch then i would, but mostly just on looks and a couple extra channels. S-FHSS is the best for range. I love my 8j, came down from a JR 11x, it took about 3 flights to get over the downgrade, at this point i feel like i got upgraded for $500 less than my last one

JG-rn

and a $150 receiver to make the kit come together. the 8j rx's are $45...... how many models you got?

If i was never going to upgrade to long range uhf and i thought i'd need more than 8ch then i would, but mostly just on looks and a couple extra channels. S-FHSS is the best for range. I love my 8j, came down from a JR 11x, it took about 3 flights to get over the downgrade, at this point i feel like i got upgraded for $500 less than my last one

So the s-fhss is better than the fasst for range?

I have one model.

The 8fg with r2608sb would run $410 from that seller on eBay. I'm looking at about $325 for the 8j and Rx. I'm perfectly fine with spending less :), just want to make sure I get the right one.

Also saw a video on youtube with exactly how to setup the naza settings on the 8fg....that's why I was kind of leaning towards that. I'm sure there is tutorials with the 8j as well

kloner

Aerial DP
na, tower has em for $269.... free ship no tax

Setting up naza is about as easy as life gets on any radio.

Alot of the AP guys like the fg for the levers and stuff for gimbal control. You could go either way, but if your leaning towards fpv anything more than 8ch is overkill, 8j is more than sufficient. they fly smooth and in absolute control

Theres a $20 off code on towers homepage. somebody might have a better one from email specials

Last edited by a moderator:

JG-rn

na, tower has em for $269.... free ship no tax

Setting up naza is about as easy as life gets on any radio.

Alot of the AP guys like the fg for the levers and stuff for gimbal control. You could go either way, but if your leaning towards fpv anything more than 8ch is overkill, 8j is more than sufficient. they fly smooth and in absolute control

Im going to go with the 8j.

Do you have a links or that price? Just looked I see $280 there also.

JG-rn

Kloner,

which one do I want. They have a "air radio system" or "heli radio system" ....both options for the 8j

assuming the heli radio system but just want to be sure before I order

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
with naza having atti, the air radio is nice because the throttle ratchets and center is center, and easy to find it. You can open it up and remove the ratchet if you hate it later, but it's really good for not changing altitude when rudder input or to just fly through cam, look down and you can tell one or two clicks away from center and enver really look back. I use the airplane one, but now with hoverfly pro i'm gonna take the ratchet out. it flies in manual mode and now the throttle like that is screwing me up

JG-rn

with naza having atti, the air radio is nice because the throttle ratchets and center is center, and easy to find it. You can open it up and remove the ratchet if you hate it later, but it's really good for not changing altitude when rudder input or to just fly through cam, look down and you can tell one or two clicks away from center and enver really look back. I use the airplane one, but now with hoverfly pro i'm gonna take the ratchet out. it flies in manual mode and now the throttle like that is screwing me up

So beside the ratchet they're both the same?

kloner

Aerial DP
yes, i think the air one defaults to an air model when you reset or make a new model, it's two clicks to a airplane mode

the airplane one defaults to air mode (what you want to use) and has that ratchet

JG-rn

yes, i think the air one defaults to an air model when you reset or make a new model, it's two clicks to a airplane mode

the airplane one defaults to air mode (what you want to use) and has that ratchet

just ordered.

Is there a guide on how to set this Tx up for naza? I'm completely lost as I've never set one up before.

Just noticed there is no antenna on the 8j ?

kloner

Aerial DP
antenna is inside, 2 of them

it also has a blue tooth way to transfer models around.

I'll look at mine and see what all is changed. Pretty sure it's just ch 7 has a different sub trim and endpoints to hit manual, atti and gps, i made a return to home mix, you'd have to set the failsafes so naza failsafes when lost signal. it is all done with naza on the pc, props off and start making those bars in there lineup using sub trims and end points to hit em

JG-rn

antenna is inside, 2 of them

it also has a blue tooth way to transfer models around.

I'll look at mine and see what all is changed. Pretty sure it's just ch 7 has a different sub trim and endpoints to hit manual, atti and gps, i made a return to home mix, you'd have to set the failsafes so naza failsafes when lost signal. it is all done with naza on the pc, props off and start making those bars in there lineup using sub trims and end points to hit em

Actually just watched a vid on youtube by Ali and he set up a 8j. Only problem though is he didn't set up the failsafe in atti or manual modes. Just gps.

So I'll be able to get everything set up except those two things.

JG-rn

If I use the sbus one the 2008sb Rx, will I still be able to access a spare channel for remote led light switch? Or I would need to use that sbus channel for the lights?

Kloner....
I was just about to purchase a FASST comaptible receiver from Frsky.... then I read your comment below...... I would have been really disappointed to discover upon setup that I could not get it to bidn with my Futaba 8FG Super transmitter...... Can't understand why they don't mention this at the Frsky website. What is the point in buying one if it will not bind to the transmitter?

ChrisViperM

kloner is always right...full stop....but in this case it's different. I got a handful of different Frsky receivers with my Futaba Tx, and never had a problem binding. We made a few range tests with different Frsky receivers, and the range was sometimes even better with Frsky than original Futaba Rx (but difference was not that big, just a huge difference in price).
The only thing someone has to look out is the binding procedure.....slightly differen with Futaba or Frsky Rx....but just download a manual of a Futaba-compatible Frsky Rx and have a read there.....

Chris