RC Timer S800 clone

Go4it

I have both-DJI S-800 and RCtimer S800 clone. I have over 50 flights on the clone with no problems. I am using two 6S 8,000mah ea. and getting 20 minutes of flight time. The gimbal is the new RCTimer for the Hero 2 or 3 which is a 2 axis and is working very good,all for $100 plus $50 for the 2 axis controller. 99% of the people can not tell the difference between my videos using DJI with the $3500 gimbal and the Sony Nec5 or the Clone and the Hero 3 all for $500. Go figure.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
So DJI thoroughly completed the original engineering, research and development and marketing then attempts to recoup upfront costs from the buyer while RCTimer offers essentially the same without any overhead costs to the customer.
Love the way Asia competes within itself.....
In any case for the DIY person it is the way to go.

I have both-DJI S-800 and RCtimer S800 clone. I have over 50 flights on the clone with no problems. I am using two 6S 8,000mah ea. and getting 20 minutes of flight time. The gimbal is the new RCTimer for the Hero 2 or 3 which is a 2 axis and is working very good,all for $100 plus $50 for the 2 axis controller. 99% of the people can not tell the difference between my videos using DJI with the $3500 gimbal and the Sony Nec5 or the Clone and the Hero 3 all for $500. Go figure.

Eggbeater

Go4it. I believe it. And the brushless gimbal revolution has just begun. Many new models about to hit the market. Of course all are based upon the AlexMos controller and that is who will make the killing and control their production. At least until it gets cloned too. Hope he's got some international patents. You already see gimbals out there that can't be sold due to the controller avail.

gtranquilla. Yep. DJI footed the cost of R&R and their "brothers" copied it. Unfortunately while they cut each other's throats, the American worker suffers too. I'll pay more for US made stuff if I can find it. Got to come back around to us in the long run. I believe China is evenmtually headed for some tough times down the road.

I know DJI has had problems. The 550 and Phantom seem to be their most solid models to date. But I haven't met a multi that didn't have some issue. I always look at power distribution first and DJI (and the clone) still holds the advantage on that design. Besides watching my building and not flying the S800 like it was a smaller sports car, I have to think part of my success (so far) has been not removing the arms and jacking with those connections. If I could glue it, solder it or something, I would. That connection point and those small, single stranded wires to the motors/esc's is the biggest weakness as I see it. My flexing arms may be why I have such smooth videos without ANY gimbal at all. I also use a WKM which may have better internal components than the Naza version. But check with me next week. Who knows what will happen with these things. I may be whinning and crying too about how terrible DJI is. Ha.

I do have a major change coming up with radios. I tried the Jeti DC-16 for a month and loved it. So I ordered the DS-16 which should finally be here tomorrow. Not looking forward to the work it will create but those radios are really a step above the rest. Check em out. Especially the switching. Pretty sweet to be able to move (or remove) switches around and have the radio recognize it immediately. The whole approach to programming makes sense. Too much to cover here. But anyone has questions, I can help with my impressions. Whatever that's worth...

EGG

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Very nice RC system....... will have to dig into it deeper...... need to know if it is PPM also.

Go4it. I believe it. And the brushless gimbal revolution has just begun. Many new models about to hit the market. Of course all are based upon the AlexMos controller and that is who will make the killing and control their production. At least until it gets cloned too. Hope he's got some international patents. You already see gimbals out there that can't be sold due to the controller avail.

gtranquilla. Yep. DJI footed the cost of R&R and their "brothers" copied it. Unfortunately while they cut each other's throats, the American worker suffers too. I'll pay more for US made stuff if I can find it. Got to come back around to us in the long run. I believe China is evenmtually headed for some tough times down the road.

I know DJI has had problems. The 550 and Phantom seem to be their most solid models to date. But I haven't met a multi that didn't have some issue. I always look at power distribution first and DJI (and the clone) still holds the advantage on that design. Besides watching my building and not flying the S800 like it was a smaller sports car, I have to think part of my success (so far) has been not removing the arms and jacking with those connections. If I could glue it, solder it or something, I would. That connection point and those small, single stranded wires to the motors/esc's is the biggest weakness as I see it. My flexing arms may be why I have such smooth videos without ANY gimbal at all. I also use a WKM which may have better internal components than the Naza version. But check with me next week. Who knows what will happen with these things. I may be whinning and crying too about how terrible DJI is. Ha.

I do have a major change coming up with radios. I tried the Jeti DC-16 for a month and loved it. So I ordered the DS-16 which should finally be here tomorrow. Not looking forward to the work it will create but those radios are really a step above the rest. Check em out. Especially the switching. Pretty sweet to be able to move (or remove) switches around and have the radio recognize it immediately. The whole approach to programming makes sense. Too much to cover here. But anyone has questions, I can help with my impressions. Whatever that's worth...

EGG

Eggbeater

gtranquilla. I don't understand it but those radios have it. It has a PPM connection jack inside the case. Now how it gets outside etc I have no clue. But Jeti is the first copany I have seen that gives instructions on how to open the case and do things inside. Like ths switches. They remove by unplugging their tiny circuit board box attached and you move them around. 2-way, 3-way, momentary. If your a 2-finger flier, you can add switches to gimbals too. Even a push button. You can create functins that have steps like open door...lower landing gear...turn on a light and link them all togther as one function and then assign it to a switch. One switch does the sequence in order. It talks to you (or not) and even has an accelerometer tilt mech. in the case so tilting the case can do a function. It's wild. Suggest downloading the manual from Esprit's website and giving it a look. In a nutshell, it just doesn't follow the Oriental way of logic and thinking. It just makes good sense. And all the telemtry feedback you could ask for. Pardon me. I', starting to sound like a salesman. I'll stop.

I see you have the 900mhz DL. I only have a single waypoint and not sure I will use it on my 1000mm Hex coming up. Seems all the pc equip. etx may take the fun out of it. I basically want to see the "mission" as it is happening but hit a radio switch and go to the radio control if need be. Is that possible? To have the autonomous going on but interrupt it via a radio and take control?

Egg

gtranquilla

RadioActive
While it certainly is not clear in the DJI GCS manual, it is impertive that one have an RC system onboard the MR in conjunction with the GCS Datalink.
I have been too scared to switch to GCS via PC because I don't fully understand the simulation mode and corresponding cause and effect.......... (not a user friendly system IMHO - more like user hostile)...... but will try again later.

Re: Jeti DC16...... actually since it has the PPM, it follows, to some degree, the German logic since the Jeti is very similar in appearance and function to the German Graupner RC systems. As far as North American logic...... I don't think it should be over-rated in view of what has been happening here these past several years. ;-)

The German Ground Control System by MikroKopter seems to be more intuitive and more comprehensive but then there is the German/English language barriers to contend with......but at least the Chinese try to speak and write English. There is also the open source Ground Control station systems which are very good IMHO! just don't have the time and money to do the same things three different ways.

gtranquilla. I don't understand it but those radios have it. It has a PPM connection jack inside the case. Now how it gets outside etc I have no clue. But Jeti is the first copany I have seen that gives instructions on how to open the case and do things inside. Like ths switches. They remove by unplugging their tiny circuit board box attached and you move them around. 2-way, 3-way, momentary. If your a 2-finger flier, you can add switches to gimbals too. Even a push button. You can create functins that have steps like open door...lower landing gear...turn on a light and link them all togther as one function and then assign it to a switch. One switch does the sequence in order. It talks to you (or not) and even has an accelerometer tilt mech. in the case so tilting the case can do a function. It's wild. Suggest downloading the manual from Esprit's website and giving it a look. In a nutshell, it just doesn't follow the Oriental way of logic and thinking. It just makes good sense. And all the telemtry feedback you could ask for. Pardon me. I', starting to sound like a salesman. I'll stop.

I see you have the 900mhz DL. I only have a single waypoint and not sure I will use it on my 1000mm Hex coming up. Seems all the pc equip. etx may take the fun out of it. I basically want to see the "mission" as it is happening but hit a radio switch and go to the radio control if need be. Is that possible? To have the autonomous going on but interrupt it via a radio and take control?

Egg

Eggbeater

gtranquilla. Had a laugh at your "American logic" comment. That was my concern about switching back and forth to regain control from the PC. I am just not comfortable flying from a keyboard or iPhone. For fully autonomous missions, I could see it, but I always want the option of switching back to a radio immediately. Yes, the Jeti is similar to the Euro panel TX's But I think you will find some important advances. Some things I will be glad to lose is labels on the switches (what if I want "D/R" over here?), the constant beeping whenever I push something (my wife loves it when I'm up late playing), and switchin the radio on/off to change models (which adds more beeps). I think I am going to lose the complication of the 900mhz DL and maybe opt for just an OSD for composing shots.

On my Hex I have an extra 6S power output. Too high for brushless gimbal. Should I just plan on a separate 2S-4S battery somewhere? Will be using AlexMos if they are available.

IMHO - A dedicated battery for the WKM controller can be a very smart strategy for a heavy lifter......as there is always a risk of heavy current draw causing a controller brownout or reboot while flying! But since the IOSD and gimbal draw much less current, these could be connected to the WKM battery as well.

gtranquilla. Had a laugh at your "American logic" comment. That was my concern about switching back and forth to regain control from the PC. I am just not comfortable flying from a keyboard or iPhone. For fully autonomous missions, I could see it, but I always want the option of switching back to a radio immediately. Yes, the Jeti is similar to the Euro panel TX's But I think you will find some important advances. Some things I will be glad to lose is labels on the switches (what if I want "D/R" over here?), the constant beeping whenever I push something (my wife loves it when I'm up late playing), and switchin the radio on/off to change models (which adds more beeps). I think I am going to lose the complication of the 900mhz DL and maybe opt for just an OSD for composing shots.

On my Hex I have an extra 6S power output. Too high for brushless gimbal. Should I just plan on a separate 2S-4S battery somewhere? Will be using AlexMos if they are available.

Eggbeater

Peter. agreed. But I have a 6S outlet ready that is way too hot for the AlexMos controller which requires 2S-4S source. If I use my main batteries, do I use a voltage regulator to step it down from 6S? May be as cumbersome as just adding a dedicated 2S to power the gimbal stand alone. Opinions?

IMHO - The WKM, AlexMos and related peripherals can all operate on one dedicated 3S or 4S battery.
Voltage regulators are dead weight and consume about 15% energy to drop 6S voltage down.
So the 6S outlet has no value to you here.... you have to wire around it.

Peter. agreed. But I have a 6S outlet ready that is way too hot for the AlexMos controller which requires 2S-4S source. If I use my main batteries, do I use a voltage regulator to step it down from 6S? May be as cumbersome as just adding a dedicated 2S to power the gimbal stand alone. Opinions?

kloner

Aerial DP
doesnt he needs 6s to fly?

I run a seperate battery for the gimbal. it has an 1800mah 3s pack on it and it rarely needs charging. You could easily use a 1000mah or even smaller if you wanted and it'd most likely run all day long

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Yes indeed..... as indicated in this topic thread the motors are powered by the main batteries.......which are large capacity 6S.
The S800 should offer optional lower voltage terminals to allow for a dedicated battery for the control system or DJI should be providing the controller with a built-in ultracapacitor....... I will explain via private message to you.:apathy:

doesnt he needs 6s to fly?

I run a seperate battery for the gimbal. it has an 1800mah 3s pack on it and it rarely needs charging. You could easily use a 1000mah or even smaller if you wanted and it'd most likely run all day long

Eggbeater

PL, that's what I was thinking. I use 6S on lots of other aircraft (heli's) and have lots of 6S 5800mah batts. Other batt set ups may be more eff. and I experiment later to see if I can take advatnage of the lower weight and still keep the flight time up. But that is later. Right now it looks like my best option is a separate battery to run the gimbal, eh? Don;'t know which gimbal (the brushless revolution) or draws it takes but maybe I can get away with just a small 2S. My longest flights was prob be 14-6min range anyway.

I am not yet at the stage where I have on board an iOSD and video/data downlink and only the conventional servo type gimbal system so I rely on the RC Tx timer.... so a separate smaller battery to power the gimble servos remains a valid option I guess. And we all know that the PMU contains a voltage regulator to accomodate the controller and ESCs etc.

PL, that's what I was thinking. I use 6S on lots of other aircraft (heli's) and have lots of 6S 5800mah batts. Other batt set ups may be more eff. and I experiment later to see if I can take advatnage of the lower weight and still keep the flight time up. But that is later. Right now it looks like my best option is a separate battery to run the gimbal, eh? Don;'t know which gimbal (the brushless revolution) or draws it takes but maybe I can get away with just a small 2S. My longest flights was prob be 14-6min range anyway.

Eggbeater

Based ipon this discussion, I will research batteriess in the 2S-3S and 1000mah-1800mah range for size and weight. So I will keep the 6S supply soley for motor circuit and controller circuit. No redundancy but at least I plug each of the two 6S's separately so that if one zonks out for some reason, maybe the other will have power left to bring her down safely. FYI, just came in from the first power up of the 1000mm Hex wil everything connected except the TX link. The radio is on a FedEx truck as we speak. So my motor rotations have not been checked, no ESC throttle calibration yet, etc etc. But at least, so far, no smoke...no warmth...battery drain test over 20min is near zero (resistence)...and all satlittes acquired. Keeping fingers crossed. Programming radio next. Yall have been helpful. Thanks.

Eggbeater

Access draw

Forgot...Peter. Suggest any OSD or DL you install in the future have the disconnect plugs where you can easily get to them. My understanbding is that they draw considerable juice by themsleves so if you are not using them, unplug them. I only have the 900mhz DL but not using it or may not in the future. So I have it mounted on velcro and can unplug.

EGG

Does anyone know if you can run 6s into the retracts on the rct s800 or do you use a separate batt with lower voltage. They have a output for a gimbal on the board but that comes out as 6s as well which would blow my gimbal up!!
Thanks Tim

Found out. The can run on 6s and the have already bee calibrated. Plugged them in and they worked. :)

Does anyone know if you can run 6s into the retracts on the rct s800 or do you use a separate batt with lower voltage. They have a output for a gimbal on the board but that comes out as 6s as well which would blow my gimbal up!!
Thanks Tim

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
rodod, i watched your video but that little bit of play isn't what would cause the motor to fail. most motors have a little bit of play like that, better quality motors are more consistent from motor to motor with less overall play but you'll probably see that little bit of play in most all motors you'll look at.

did your S800 (clone?) handle the motor loss ok and keep flying?