ff servo on av130 pan

tombrown1

Well I went at it today. I bought the FF Servo with a resistor. The FF Servo doesn't fit where the old Hyperion was. Not even close. I would have to machine new metal plates, which I can't do.

So I put it on the outside of the AV130 - used servo tape and carefully placed it so the gears would mesh. It's a little bit jerry-rigged, but it works. It is MUCH smoother than the stock Hyperion. It still does a very minor jerking motion at extremely slow pan speeds though - I think that's just a limitation of using gears.

Anyway, bottom line is I think it was a success. I now have a reasonably well-functioning pan!

Best,

Tom

FOX222

The FreeFly Radians and FF360 servos on all 3 axis makes this mount almost tolerable. I also changed the gear ratio on all 3 axis to 5:1 (pan really needs this). I also replaced the tilt tray that the camera sits on as the aluminum foil version that comes with it is crap. One other thing that really helped is to stiffen up the mounting connection between the MK and the AV130 because the whole mount would swing around using the original config.

View attachment 9048View attachment 9049View attachment 9050

Attachments

• IMG_2192.jpg
    IMG_2192.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 343

tombrown1

The FreeFly Radians and FF360 servos on all 3 axis makes this mount almost tolerable. I also changed the gear ratio on all 3 axis to 5:1 (pan really needs this). I also replaced the tilt tray that the camera sits on as the aluminum foil version that comes with it is crap. One other thing that really helped is to stiffen up the mounting connection between the MK and the AV130 because the whole mount would swing around using the original config.

View attachment 11728View attachment 11729View attachment 11730

Thanks for the response. Three questions:

1. How do you change the gear ration on the pan?

2. What did you use to mount the pan servo? I was just meticulous with servo tape and zip ties, but I'd rather hard mount it.

3. Does the freefly on tilt mount easily, or is it a custom job?

Thanks,

Tom

JoshMaxAmps

Having the upgraded servos can definitely make a world of difference. Especially over time and servos get that slip they do from use. I just upgraded to a water Proof Hitec Servo. Different field but same idea.

FOX222

Sorry it took so long to reply. Work has been crazzzzy!
I have done a lot of mods to the PH gimbal to get it to where it is even usable. But to answer you questions...
1) You can change the servo gear with one of these. http://www.servocity.com/html/48_pitch_futaba_servo_gears.html I used 30 tooth along with the 150 tooth stock spur.
2) I made the bulkhead style servo mounts on a Sherline mill but I think you can buy them somewhere.
3)I am not sure if you are referring to the FF servo or the Radian but I had no problem with either.

John

Attachments

• IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2202.jpg
    IMG_2202.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_2205.jpg
    IMG_2205.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 293

tombrown1

No problem. I'm just excited that there is somebody else who has performed these mods!

Did you need to drill holes into the av130 to mount your ff pan servo?

I did a lot of searching online for mounts and didn't find anything that seemed to suit my needs. I'll keep looking though.

Thanks again for the help and pictures.

Time to start saving for that X8/cs gimbal/3 axis radian!