FPV Basics

homer911

I'm sure I've seen a list of links to FPV basic info on this site somewhere. Cant seen to fins them. Anyone point me in the right direction? I have a Droidworx AD8-HLE with a Cinestar 2 axis gimbal with a Canon 5D. And a 2.4 Futaba...

Cheers

Steven

homer911

Thanks Kloner, ive seen this but im sure ive ewsd on thus sire a list of sites describing the basics. I just need everything explained before I buy anything.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

kloner

Aerial DP
the basics is there is a video transmitter and video receiver. i believe for your area your limited to 25mw power, and the immersion 5.8 25 has a new module in it to make it the most likely candidate for you. The new receivers are still mia, they are uno 5.8 v2 and uno 5800 v3

aside from that at one end you need a way to give an image to watch via camera, live outputs from hd cameras or dedicated security type cameras are the options

other side you need a monitor to look at it with. goggles are an option, i prefer smal monitors. theres a zillion options but it has to have that yellow rca input to run cause this stuff is all SD format and there is no hdmi. the monitor side your looking for things that don't blue screen at low signal

Those are for near sight. When your eyes age you loose the ability to focus on close items. Like far sighted but that can be from birth on, not just from aging eyes.
What do you do if you wear glasses and contacts are not available for issues like stigmatism? I really don't want to look at a screen... That's an issue in the bright daylight.
Maybe get a set and see if I can install some cheater lenses in there somehow .

Fat Shark seems to have an issue keeping the dealers stocked.

Malinois1

Hi All,

I have a question. Been flying quads and Hexa for awhile now and would like to make the jump to FPV. What was your experience on the first flight? How was your learning curb? Easier or harder than flying traditional line of sight? be intresting to read your responses. Thanks.​

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Do FPV goggles have adjustments for over 50 eyes that normally need cheaters to read close up?

In my younger days I had 20/10 vision, wasn't until my early 40's that I got to the point I needed glasses to see anything closer than arms length clearly. My long range vision is still as sharp as it ever was but close in S**KS these days. That said I don't have a problem seeing the image in my Fatshark goggles clearly, I even went as far as putting the weakest set of diopters in to see if it made a difference and it did, I couldn't see crap with them installed, pulled them out and back to being able to see clearly. No clue why I can see the screens so well when I need my reading glasses to type on a computer or do anything involving close up vision but that's what I've found. You may want to give a set of good goggles a try first to see if you're actually going to have a problem.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi All,

I have a question. Been flying quads and Hexa for awhile now and would like to make the jump to FPV. What was your experience on the first flight? How was your learning curb? Easier or harder than flying traditional line of sight? be intresting to read your responses. Thanks.​

My first FPV flight, even though it was over 2 years ago I remember it perfectly, I was nervous to the point of barely being able to hold the TX! It was bad enough that I had to rely on my Mikrokopter's altitude hold, position hold, and waypoint flight ability to get through the first couple flights. The flight plan went like this, setup a course around the field using the waypoint mapping and upload it to the Hexa. Set it down at a flight station at the field, take off LOS, engage altitude hold and position hold, put on the goggles and enable the waypoint route, at that point I was just a passenger along for the ride as the flight controller took over and flew to the various points I had mapped. The last waypoint was at the takeoff point so once there I set it back to altitude hold and position hold, then took the goggles off and manually brought it down for a landing, that was the same routine for probably the first half dozen flights while I got used to seeing things from the hexa's point of view.

Once the jitters wore off a bit I started taking off with goggles on and flying around the main field with GPS engaged so I could just stop in place if I got disoriented, still did landings manually without goggles. I think part of the problem I had was that it wasn't very long after I had built the MK Hexa and the cost for the entire setup was roughly 3X what I have invested in each of my current generation FPV quads, it was a substantial sum and I was more afraid of screwing up and crashing the Hexa than anything else. Once I pulled the FPV gear off the Mk and put it on a cheap quad with a far less expensive flight control system I progressed rapdily, the fear factor was no longer there, or at least I wasn't seeing dollar signs in the goggle lenses every time I took off with the goggles on.

Now that I've got a good hundred hours or more flying through the goggles it feels just as natural as LOS and I'm perfectly comfortable flying either way although I do still mange to get the pucker factor going occasionally when something totally unexpected happens and throws me a new challenge while flying FPV , watch this vid from about 1:35 to 2:05, that was a recent OH CR*P! moment that gave me a little angst on the first flight of the day.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: