Hoverfly Flying In Cold Weather -12C- Video

Hello All,

I wanted to see how the HoverFly Sport would do in some pretty cold weather so i went out to Lake Granby the other day and decided to give the ice fisherman something to talk about, besides the big one that got away.

When i passed the bank in Granby it read -12deg C (10deg F)

This video is RAW, no music, stabilization or color correction and is shot with the GoPro3 blk 1080 60p

http://youtu.be/2Jn4SbRHSbE

Tomstoy2

I tried ice fishing a time or two.
Just found it too damn difficult casting my dry fly into that tiny hole all damn day long!

Hi Kloner,

I have come to realize that i hate the cold but at times im asked to fly so i just wanted to see how this quad would act.
Not sure what you mean by black stuff, at what time in the video are you talking about?

Bill

kloner

Aerial DP
:43-:45

1:08

theres a ton of it through out

i wouldn't know, San Diego's never seen anything like that. we get hotter than hell, but no white stuff

Aerovideo

I tried flying in the cold recently and while the hardware did just fine my hands froze! Do you have one of those Radio Covers or am I just a wuss? ;)

FerdinandK

just get an extern Antenna for the RC, and sit inside your car, there it is much warmer :)

best regards

Ferdinand

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I tried in -10C and my batteries acted like those were nearly dead - I need to do more testing but those didn't like the cold at all - the electronics seems to be fine with it.

Do you do anything to keep your batteries from getting cold? Like a battery jacket of something?

FerdinandK

before the flight heat them up:
IMGP2581.JPG

during the flight keep them warm:
IMGP2580.JPG

best regards

Ferdinand

Very interesting.... just got back from 8 flights this morning since it was warm today (Canadian standards...) with a -8 degrees C. Off course my batteries were in the trunk of the car and got cold on the way to the test site. My flight time is cut off by 30% easy compare to summer.... The cold really has an effect on Lipos, including the Gopro Hero 2 battery. Never thought about wraping the batteries with such a nice little jacket though. Does it make a good difference?

yeehaanow

I use a cooler to store the batteries, then keep the next set in my inside coat pockets.
Also, those bean/corn cloth bags are great to put in the microwave and keep the cooler warm for a few hours.

I use a cooler to store the batteries, then keep the next set in my inside coat pockets.
Also, those bean/corn cloth bags are great to put in the microwave and keep the cooler warm for a few hours.

Amazing.... I just happened to have a few of these bags and I must admit they really are excellent at staying warm. Thanks FerdinandK and yeehaanow for your pretty smart posts. I will try tomorrow and report the results!

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I have thought about battery jackets but didn't know if it would make a difference - good to know. I will have to try that (use layers wool on the inside gortex on the out ;)

I have a cooler that has a switch to act as a heater and I can plug it into the car - I will have to try that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

yeehaanow

I flew the HFP yesterday in 0 deg F (-17C) with a 15-20 mph wind. It seemed to work normally. Even with a transmitter mitt and hand warmers my fingers went numb after 10 min. Looking forward to the warmth!

Razzil

Quick access to your pants has always been the solution for me, my hands never get cold.
Just dont ever purchase any batterys from me ... haha kiding.