manual mode flying, fast descending is not quite

rainer-v

finall i got my okto to fly, which it does pretty well. i like the smoothness and how stable it can stand on a distinct point.
what i like less is that he shakes much if i go down faster and looks very unstable than. which setting could be optimized here to allow to descent fast.

other question is regarding manual mode: he behaves so much more nervous in this setting. is it possible that it tips even over if i move the sticks to far?
is there an angle limitation still working or could i crash the bird in manual flying going forward or sidewards to fast? i dont want to try it ... so i ask before :tennis:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Rainer in manual mode you have no ( like stated in the manual ):

Max-angular velocity is 150°/s.No attitude angle limitation andvertical velocity locking.

So yes you can flip it. For manual mode you ca try to add expo/dual rate to your radio and find a setting that makes the experience better.

Concerning descending try to play wit the gains. Higher gains can lead to the point that your copter will behave better in a descend. In general though descends will be smoother when you put a angle to it. So a flying like descend and not straight down.

Boris

kloner

Aerial DP
if it shakes the man gains are too high, if it shoots off or won't hold a line it's too low....... they usually pitch up when too low

srbell

I find the same rocking when descending at high speed, but as soon as I throttle up to slow the descent for landing everything smooths out. I've just gotten used to it.

I might be wrong but rapid vertical descending introduces a lot of vertical airflow turbulence around and above the center plates of the airframe.
I don't think there are any IMUs and/or control systems on the market that can deal with this effectively.
I suspect a teardrop enclosure around the flat center section would make the turbulence disappear during rapid descents but is that really what you want?

maxwelltub

Also multirotors are fixed pitch, so descending quickly means lowering your rpms significantly which is why you lose a lot of your gyroscopic stabilization and motor responsiveness. At least that's what I thinks going on. In a cp heli you can rocket down because your rpms and control surfaces do not slow down to decend. I have also just gotten used to it, if it starts to wobble give it a little juice and should snap back. If its an ap move your trying to get, do it backwards if possible, because you can get a much faster controlled ascent.

Maxwell...... Good points... A conventional heli has variable pitch which enables a constant rpm and even negative pitch if needed to prevent blade stalling etc. Also just read on this forum that smoothe aerial video is extremely difficult to acheive during MultiRotor descent. Also switch from GPS to Attitude mode for smoother aerial video work. Best way to descend smoothly is to fly in low as you would with a conventional fixed wing plane.