Not giving up on DJI after all

mbsteed

aerial video centric
A while back I reported that I had given up on the WKM - it had crashed for the 3rd time. It had flown fine for the first 10 seconds after it was built the first time but then it went out of control on each rebuild. Not cheap replacing motor mounts and arms on our Droidworx ADH8. Well, I rebuilt it one more time and decided to give it one last go. One change I made was that I removed the Futaba S-bus converter for my Spektrum system (we wanted to use that because that would have freed up the camera gimbal controls on the ocoto). The second change was as follows: When I powered it up for the first time one of the motors would start up and then stop and power up again. That had never happened before so I replaced that ESC entirely. ...seemed to fix that problem.

Took it out for a test flight today and all went well - what a relief!!! Previously it would go totally out of control. Not sure wether the problem was the S-bus converter or the ESC (I suspect the ESC) but I will probably never know because I don't dare try putting the s-bus converter back on. It is amazing how frustrating one small problem can be when you are dealing with so many variables on an Octo setup.

We are now looking to add a photohigher AV 200 gimbal and Skyline stabilization system. Any suggestions or warnings about those?

crcr

I'm looking at getting the Wookong and am wanting to use Futaba S-Bus, so I did a search. I found this video from DJI that shows S-Bus connection so I would be very surprised if that was your issue.

I could be wrong but I think he was ruling out the S-bus converter that he used with his spektrum that does not have S-bus...not the option of S-bus itself

I'm looking at getting the Wookong and am wanting to use Futaba S-Bus, so I did a search. I found this video from DJI that shows S-Bus connection so I would be very surprised if that was your issue.

Dewster

I use a Futaba Super 8FG with the Futaba S-Bus receiver and have no control issue problems at all. I've flown my craft line of sight until it was a dot in the sky and brought it back without any twitches are control issues. It's a good feeling when you discover or fix the cause of crashes. There's nothing worst than spending money on something that you can't get to work.

crcr

I could be wrong but I think he was ruling out the S-bus converter that he used with his spektrum that does not have S-bus...not the option of S-bus itself

True, sorry I missed that he was originally using a S-Bus converter with Spektrum.

Benchmark

Glad you sorted things out for yourself, poor DJI so easily gets the blame when we cant get other stuff to work well.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Actually giving up the S-bus and camera control with the WKM is probably a good thing in the long run because if we ever upgrade to a 360 gimbal the WKM flight controller would not compensate properly anyway (it would assume the gimbal was always facing the front), with a 360 gimbal, an on-gimbal controller (e.g. Skyline) would be best because it would compensate according to the position of the gimbal rather than the position of the main flight controller. Does that make sense?