Mikrokopter Converting MK CineStar 8 to Heavy Lifter with standart ESCs

ovdt

Hey guys,

Today, I started getting rid of MK BL controllers officially by the help of Abusemark's I2C to PWM converter and some different ESCs.

Mikrokopter's BL controllers work very good until you reach its limits. There's no need for programming, it's almost plug&play. But the limitations are also quite annoying:

* Any I2C error means total crash.
* It needs Recom modification for 5S, additional modification for 6S (If you want to use the power from Lipo directly) on the FC. Supplying direct power from Lipo will helpyou to see the correct V and amps spent over the telemetry. Otherwise, you can supply power with BEC so no need for any modification.
* BL Ctrl's get hot even with 5s. Reaches the temp limits with 6S at 10-14Amps as far as I read. The current ve S limitation doesn't let you to use some powerful motors to lift a camera like Red Epic.
* It's expensive.

vice versa. We know all these, right?

I'm getting rid of BL Ctrls mainly for using 6S and some beefy motors.

So what I have in my hands:

* I2C PWM converter
* Turnigy Plush 40A ESCs (I flashed them with BLHeli firmware since they're based on SiLabs chip. )
* HK F-60A ESCs (Flashed with Simonk)
* Red Brick 70A ESCs
* Tiger MT2826-KV 550
* Tiger MT2520 - KV400 motors ( Still on the way).
* Gens Ace 6S 10000 mAh batteries.(Still on the way). Will also test some 8S batteries.

Why do I have so many ESCs?

I will also test Castle Creation ESCs. First I will proceed with nicely flashed SimonK based HK and BLHeli flashed Plush ESCs.

I bought these ESCs long time before; they all have place to fit. Plushes for Hexa, HK F-60A for heavy quad and Red Bricks / CC ICE for Octo.

So this is the first message; the process will take some time (I believe 3-4 weeks). Im not in a hurry. I'll post my findings and on-board footage here as soon as I start the building.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Having used the same I2C converter you have I found that it's no where near as steady and smooth as the Mk BL controllers, the MK code just isn't optimized to work with PWM ESCs especially when you add the delay of converting I2C to PWM before sending it to the ESCs. No matter what I did I could never completely rid the hex of a subtle wobble that as far as I can determine was due to that delay in translating I2C to PWM. Reflashing does help but still I could not get the same degree of smoothness that it had with the BL controllers.

If I were going to go for a setup that was beyond the capability of the MK BL's I'd most likely swap out ALL of the MK electronics in favor of a flight controller that was designed to work with PWM ESCs. I'm currently flying my Cinestar 6 with a Wookong-M and reflashed ESCs, it has proven to be the most stable setup I've tried on it so far, better than MK and similar to the YS-X6. The other route is to go with one of the custom ESC boards but any of those options are very pricey.

A few other folks on this forum also tried the same setup and ran into pretty much the same end result.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
There is also the option of ESC32 I2C. Not sure if the software is out of beta though.

In their current form they're only good for about the same current capacity as the Mk BL 2.0. Theoretically the ESC32 can handle 50 amps continuous but with the caveat they need proper cooling and firmware changes as the factory default for current limiting in the code is 20 amps. I don't think anyone has tested them at sustained higher ratings so I'd be very cautious about inserting them into a system that could draw 30 or more amps continuous without a LOT of prior testing, especially if I was going to be hanging expensive equipment underneath them.

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ovdt..

Just move from the Dark Side and fly with the force, Its so much easier and life changing.. More flyiing LESS FRIGGING ABOUT.

Ken is tottally correct.. WKM is the way forward, dont spent a fortune and time on this and that, just go WKM, standard ESC's (I use hobbywing optos) no flashing nowt fancy and it works bloody well.

This weekend I will be flying and filmimg with the new HL X4, its totally brilliant. Along with my new ADX3 (Y6) I have everything. See Zaxis integration with his Y6 CX730 and Red footage.. bloody brilliant.

Dave

http://www.redbull.com/en/bike/video-series/1331575781284/athertons-four-by-three

Last edited by a moderator:

ovdt

There are several reasons why I'm staying with MK for now.

First, I've invested plenty of money on this platform (4 FC 2.1, 4 Navi Ctrl, lots of time getting to know the hardware). Secondly, the built in telemetry and multi way point. It costs more with WKM, and need to add some third party sensors I think. I'm quite happy with seeing all data on the screen with MK. The last reason, I'm more happy with the MK's performance in windy conditions. ( I also have one WK-M system)

So, I'm into this process by only investing money on I2C converters. (20$ for each). I had to upgrade the motors anyways. Hercules is not an option for me, because of the cost. If MK doesn't work as expected with PWM ESCs, I have the option put WK-M on these system just in an hour.

I'll also revisit my WK-M system by trying SimonK/BLHeli flashed ESCs. I'll see which one works best for me.

I'm also following the topic over FreeFly Systems forum: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...ing-to-heavy-lift-cs8-build-thread.390/page-9

redridinghood: ESC32 is also 5S limited AFAIK.

BradM

There are several reasons why I'm staying with MK for now.

First, I've invested plenty of money on this platform (4 FC 2.1, 4 Navi Ctrl, lots of time getting to know the hardware). Secondly, the built in telemetry and multi way point. It costs more with WKM, and need to add some third party sensors I think. I'm quite happy with seeing all data on the screen with MK. The last reason, I'm more happy with the MK's performance in windy conditions. ( I also have one WK-M system)

So, I'm into this process by only investing money on I2C converters. (20$ for each). I had to upgrade the motors anyways. Hercules is not an option for me, because of the cost. If MK doesn't work as expected with PWM ESCs, I have the option put WK-M on these system just in an hour.

I'll also revisit my WK-M system by trying SimonK/BLHeli flashed ESCs. I'll see which one works best for me.

I'm also following the topic over FreeFly Systems forum: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...ing-to-heavy-lift-cs8-build-thread.390/page-9

redridinghood: ESC32 is also 5S limited AFAIK.

Looking forward to your results because mine were totally opposite to what was said above by others. Its easily as stable and solid as MK Bl's for AP purposes. I2C still sucks for other reasons :(