My firs t DJI 450 is on the way!!

Thanks so much to the forum for the great reading and research to get my first quad in the air.

Here is what I have coming.

8FGH W/R6208SB
DJI F450
NAZA
NAZA GPS

Stock DJI motors and props.

I hear that this should be something I need to change AND that I need extras of. I have also read that prop sized is dependent on the battery size. Since I have not flow one second yet and need extras to learn how to fly now would be a good time to order some...SO what batteries should I start with...also props...I don't have a charger either so this would be a good time to order as well. It would be great if I could get them all at the same place. I believe this is all I need (believe)

Thank you all again for your help and getting me this far!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Thanks so much to the forum for the great reading and research to get my first quad in the air.

8FGH W/R6208SB
DJI F450
NAZA
NAZA GPS

I hear that this should be something I need to change AND that I need extras of. I have also read that prop sized is dependent on the battery size. Since I have not flow one second yet and need extras to learn how to fly now would be a good time to order some...SO what batteries should I start with...also props...I don't have a charger either so this would be a good time to order as well. It would be great if I could get them all at the same place. I believe this is all I need (believe)

good luck with it Biff. I'm clueless on the Naza but I know the gang around here is top notch so have fun with it.

i'm still amazed that these things fly as well as they do, every time i fly.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
You and me both, I am yet to get mine in the air, awaiting on my charger and two batteries. Don't forget all the little bits you will need, like the battery connector you will need. There are a lot of different types out there, I went with the xt-60 connector.

Thanks IrisAerial!!

Deanot, where would you suggest ordering the stuff from? I need some batteries 3s Like this a charger like this and some props...Also the other little bits your talking about. Is that something I can get local do you think....I wish someone made a 150 dollar "kit" that had all the little bits I will need....

Prop balancer
Prop reamer
Soldering gun
connectors blah blah blah

thanks for the help guys!

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
If you can get it local, I would do that. I had to order my stuff from here and there, hence the wait on batteries and a charger.

This place http://www.economyrc.com/40c/ has a great deal on batteries and chargers. I have not used them and do not know if they are any good, as I said, if you can do it local, that would be the best way.

Some things you will need, Shrink tubing for your battery connection. I used one for the wires and one to cover both wires to make it look better. Solder, a decent 25 Watt iron, battery connector, something to insulate the solder on the mainboard (I am going to use hotglue).

Why do you need props? did you just by the frame or the kit?

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Hi biff,

I just finished building my F450 - it is awesome! So much fun. This is my first multirotor and I have not been flying anything else for years. It is really stable and looks like it will be an excellent trainer for me. It has taken me nearly two weeks to get it right. These are the hurdles that I had come across with this build...

You need a decent soldering iron. I used a 40W iron but I would probably like to buy a 60W iron to make things a bit easier. I hear a flat/chisel tip will help. Also, I suck at soldering.

Connectors for batteries, I used deans. Also heat shrink and alligator clips to hold everything in place while you solder. If you are as bad as me at soldering then alligator clips will save your sanity (a little).

Tripple check that your motors are plugged in the right ports. I had a bit of a special moment and realised that I built it with the front legs on the wrong side of the board. I pulled it apart, put it back together but forgot to move the motors. This resulted in the quad flipping and going haywire and literally drove me nuts trying to work it out!

As for batteries I am currently using 3S 2200mAh 20C batteries. I get about 10-11 minutes flight time which is mostly just hovering around the backyard. I hear 20C is as low as you want to go but there is no need to go higher.

I hope it works out well for you.

meme

8FGH W/R6208SB
DJI F450
NAZA
NAZA GPS

Get some decent Props ( Graupners/ APC`s ) and throw the Stock Props.

-meme

Hello everyone!! Did a good bit of building tonight.....my next step seems to be connecting my R6208SB to the NAZA and the GPS. The R6208SB seems to be less popular model or newer because there seems to be less videos on installing it.

The R6208 has 1-6 plugs and 7&8 I assume 8 is the S-Bus and that is 4 more channels (if I am thinking of this correctly) I just have NAZA and GPS so I don't think I will need all the channels just yet, I am just looking to get in to the air.

I have been watching these videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs9IAwQXwNc

But it doesn't go into how the Naza plugs in to the 6208? What goes to 1,2 ect.

Heading out to buy batteries and a charger tomorrow and hope to finish the setup and maybe in the air this weekend!!

Thanks again for all your help!

Biff

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
According to that guide on the wiki, 1234 on your receiver connect to AETR respectively on the Naza for direct servo control.

I am not familiar with SBUS so I cannot really answer that for you sorry.

I spent some time with my build today. I just have a few questions. What port do I plug the GPS in?

I have went down the road of s-Bus and it seems to be going ok. "seems to be" I can arm the motors but when I attempt to leave the ground the rear (white) flips over the front (red), it starts slow but then BAM it just jumps over the front. I am going to walk away from it for a bit. Hopefully someone has a good idea for me.

Thanks!

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
GPS plugs in to the Exp port on Naza. It is all on the wiki hey, use this as your build bible and have it open on a computer/tablet next to you - http://wiki.dji-innovations.com/en/index.php/Naza-M_Connections (Also note which way the Naza is mounted and pointing to indicate the front of the craft)

I had my quad flipping to start with also; tripple check that you have the motors plugged in to the correct ports on the Naza. Front right is M1, front left is M2, rear left is M3, rear right is M4.

Also check that you have the props on and spinning in the correct direction. M1 & 3 should be spinning counter-clockwise, M2 & 4 should be spinning clockwise. If the motor is not spinning in the correct direction you need to swap two of the three connections on the motor to reverse it. http://wiki.dji-innovations.com/en/index.php/F450_Assembly

To test - take the props off, hold the quad in one hand firmly/carefully (or have someone else hold it with both hands), arm and start it, you should be able to feel which motors are working. Tilt the quad from side to side, back to front, slowly, and you should be able to guage which motors are working harder to balance it. If one side is lower to the ground then those motors should spin faster to bring it back up and balance it (unless you are in manual mode which you shouldn't be to start off with).

As for gains set in the software, I think I am running default 100's for everything at the moment. Maybe 110 for yaw as it was twisting a little bit. Set yours to default for now and play with it later if you find that the quad drifts or does anything funny. But for now setting to default should get you flying.

I hope this helps. The solution is most likely in there somewhere so check everything carefully and methodically. You should be able to have it flying today. Good luck.

WE HAVE LIFTOFF

After the last batch of post (thanks everyone) I figured I had something off so I took the top plate off and rewired and resetup. I was looking at the rotation of the motors and just playing with the controls (while on the ground) and bam!!! It was in the air.....if was pretty easy to control over all. I figure tomorrow I will try again.

It is pretty amazing that there is no really good manuals on this stuff. It seems like every time I make a step forward I run in to a new word to Google.

The lights on the NAZA were going crazy it seemed, when I was flying, I need to find some kind of Key. IOC is another one... meanwhile I will be trying to learn to fly!!!

thanks again everyone!

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Good work Biff! :) It is a great feeling when it lifts off for the first time.

Yeah I completely agree. My "kit" did not come with any documentation at all. It is all on the wiki but you constantly have to jump between pages to piece it all together. A clear concise document for building Flamewheel + Naza + GPS kits would go a long way.

I have a few flights under my belt. I like it but I don't really know any better. I have a few questions.

When I hook my radio to the Naza Assistant I have a 3 way switch that takes me from GPS to Attn and Manual mode. This seems to work in the Assistant. It also failsafes when I turn it off. I have switched it from Attn to GPS and back but really can't see a difference between the two. I have not went to Manual mode OR tested the failsafe.

So how do I Hold to the GPS?

Is there something that explains the IOC modes? They seem to work (with the switches) but does not seem to do anything.

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
I have my 3-way switch set to gear channel which moves between GPS, Atti, Failsafe at the moment (not ready for manual mode just yet ;). GPS should hold it's position, depending on how many satellites your Naza can find for positioning will dictate how accurate the hold will be. 0 or 1 red flash then a green flash is better than 3 red flashes and a green - this indicates how many satellites the Naza is using for GPS lock. Have a look at the LED status page on the wiki for exact numbers.

I typically get 3 red flashes (I am in Brisbane, Australia) so a pretty weak GPS lock. I find that the quad will drift around a few feet but will generally hold itself in the right spot. It's certainly not perfect. You can test it by making it hover with GPS lock (at a safe height not to hurt yourself) then carefully drag the quad away from it's position. You should find that it will slowly draft back to where you set the GPS lock on.

Something else for you to think about - I have a mix set up on the transmitter for another switch to set throttle to 50%. This allows me to have altitude hold + GPS hold so in theory it should stay right where I want it. In addition to this I have also placed a piece of tape over the left side of the Naza MC as some people report that sunlight hitting that side will cause it to jump up and down by messing with the barometer. Just black or silver electrical tape should be fine, anything that reflects or stops light from going through.

We are there! I wanted to thank everyone for their help. Everyone had great responses and very helpful without being snippy...wonderful help!!!!

https://vimeo.com/57772937

I made this today....I have a LONG way to go but I am getting there and it feels better every time. Right now (and you can tell from the video) I have to be at the back of the copter. I have an event that I need to do with this coming up the weekend and I will have to be careful. After that I will start doing some circles. Any pointers would be great!

Thanks!

E-One

Hi Biifstephens, i suggest you to change the stock props for these one
Just my two cents...:strawberry: (may be your pack will arrive with new version of props but....)

So you should look and read this if you want to unterstand more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifpiMJRZ7vo&feature=youtu.be

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...prop-failure-F550&highlight=dji+props+problem

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?4944-F550-Props-and-props&highlight=dji+props+problem

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...nd-landed-in-pond&highlight=dji+props+problem

Cheers.
Marc.