declination and a GPS head glued to post :-(

linter

How important is getting the declination right? my naza gps should be set 14 degrees to the left, but the fellow i bought it from (used) glued the freaking head to the carbon shaft so I can't turn it, and degrees are so small that i can't really turn the whole setup the appropriate amount with accuracy. is this something i should fret about?

i think he used epoxy. i could try to soften it with a heat gun but am worried that the heat will damage the gps compass. what do you think?

thanks!

rwilabee

I would use the heat gun but heat the end that goes into the bottom brackett or take the GPS compass off the top piece and put it on lined up with a new piece of double stick tape.

Rich

Yes.... epoxy is strong under normal temperatures but will crystalize or carmelize when heated so that it no longer holds strong. Just keep the heat away from plastic and electronics especially. Never heard of adjusting the GPS arrow per true north/magnetic north angle of declination but it seems to make sense now. I just adjusted mine off the flight line according to the NAZA instructions and now if flys straight in GPS mode.

Linter the GPS module (the white plastic part) is normally held in place at the top with double sided tape, if that is the case in your setup just use a very sharp kitchen knife and slice between the top aluminium plate and the GPS module while gently tilting the knife now and again to raise or lift the GPS as you go deeper. This is how I have removed mine several times to re-adjust declination and eliminate the toilet bowl effect. I have had no issues removing it this way, but remember do it gently and with feeling.

Do you glue the rod to the top and bottom brackets? The rod is loose on both ends. or how do you do it? The GPS came with some line decals. What are they for? Thank you

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Do you glue the rod to the top and bottom brackets? The rod is loose on both ends. or how do you do it? The GPS came with some line decals. What are they for? Thank you

Hedy mate,

I glue the rod in at both ends. But use the little round 3M sticky pad to attach the compass to the bracket. The little line decal is to put on top of the compass so it's easier to see which way is forward.

Cool?

PS- This thread was started a couple of years ago.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Cut the ROC close to the bottom bracket, drill out the hole and re-glue at the correct angle, losing a cm or two is not a big deal!

Never apply heat near the GPS module...... Just apply the heat at the bottom of the rod where it inserts in to the mounting bracket.....
Apply just enough heat to crystallize the epoxy, then with hand in a heat protecting glove slowly twist the base back and forth until the base comes off.
The carbon fiber support rod material is typically post cured in an autoclave and therefore can handle a bit more heat. If overheated, you can buy new CF rod of the same diameter at your local hobby store.
When the aluminum base is still off.... drill a smaller holed down through the support hole. When reusing the base, any trapped epoxy in the hole will ooze out and ensure your CF rod is properly seated at the bottom and will not try to push itself back up.

How important is getting the declination right? my naza gps should be set 14 degrees to the left, but the fellow i bought it from (used) glued the freaking head to the carbon shaft so I can't turn it, and degrees are so small that i can't really turn the whole setup the appropriate amount with accuracy. is this something i should fret about?

i think he used epoxy. i could try to soften it with a heat gun but am worried that the heat will damage the gps compass. what do you think?

thanks!

R6Media

Linter,
I had your exact same problem. Stick glued to the aluminum disk, gps sticky taped to top. Knife to tape and re-adjust GPS puck works but its so annoying and I wanted the flexibilty to adjust declination on the fly. So I went with this and it works perfectly. The nut is snug enough underneath to hold position but when I tilt the arm down there's plenty of leverage to turn it to make fine adjustments without loosening the whole thing to make it sloppy.
Also I've found that declination is far from perfect. On the east coast, my declination is about -11 where I'm at but when i adjust for -11 my bird still tracks off line. I eventually got random with mine and rotated it to about -20 degrees with much better success.
You'll have to dial yours in best you can. official declination seems to be nothing more than a good starting point. Probably a limitation of the equipment.
View attachment 16703 View attachment 16706

Just noticed the post is super old.
Noobs can enjoy the info though :)

Attachments

• 20140311_113432.jpg
    20140311_113432.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 20140311_120341.jpg
    20140311_120341.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited by a moderator:

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
Linter,
I had your exact same problem. Stick glued to the aluminum disk, gps sticky taped to top. Knife to tape and re-adjust GPS puck works but its so annoying and I wanted the flexibilty to adjust declination on the fly. So I went with this and it works perfectly. The nut is snug enough underneath to hold position but when I tilt the arm down there's plenty of leverage to turn it to make fine adjustments without loosening the whole thing to make it sloppy.
Also I've found that declination is far from perfect. On the east coast, my declination is about -11 where I'm at but when i adjust for -11 my bird still tracks off line. I eventually got random with mine and rotated it to about -20 degrees with much better success.
You'll have to dial yours in best you can. official declination seems to be nothing more than a good starting point. Probably a limitation of the equipment.
View attachment 20715 View attachment 20718

Just noticed the post is super old.
Noobs can enjoy the info though :)

Where did you get the fitting and what is called.

Thanks,

Can't remember what they are called.... but I bought two off of ebay many sellers at various locations and they are cheap........ Personally I find they don't quite work as well as I expected. One fell apart..... The other snapped off. Also they do not rotate without loosening the mount and then you get wobble.

R6Media

Where did you get the fitting and what is called.

Thanks,

google: "gps folding antenna mount" and you'll see plenty of options.
I haven't had any issues with wobble or loosening. I removed the center post and locked it in with a washer and one of those locknuts with the plastic insert. pretty solid for my needs.

R6Media

On an S800 Ed? I'd be terrified to go through the top not knowing where the circuits run through.
F550/F450 I'd drill all day! :)

Tahoe Ed

On an S800 Ed? I'd be terrified to go through the top not knowing where the circuits run through.
F550/F450 I'd drill all day! :)

You misunderstood me. I drill a hole in the base mount and the grub screw secures the CF pole. I did drill a hole in the top plate to mount the base mount but I use nylon screws and I looked for the traces in the plate.