New to quads,mis this a good setup

JG-rn

Hello,

Kind of embarrassed to say my only experience so far has been a couple ar drones. Unhappy with the limitations of these quads, I'd like to move up to something that will provide a good platform for FPV setup.

I'm considering the following:

DJI f450 w/ Naza GPS
Devo 10 TX/RX
RC Tiger motor upgrade w/ 4 DJI opto 30 amp speed controllers
4 Gemfan10" carbon fibre props, balanced
Hyperion G3 45/90C battery 3300mah

This would be a RTF bundle that I'm considering from Tony @ RC-drones.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesJardins

Stick with Graupner props, 9" at that light of a frame if going with 900Kv T-motors.
Is the Devo a transmitter your familiar with?

What FPV gear have you looked at that will fit on the F450 frame?

Just some food for thought as I packed ally FPV gear on that frame and had great success

JG-rn

Stick with Graupner props, 9" at that light of a frame if going with 900Kv T-motors.
Is the Devo a transmitter your familiar with?

What FPV gear have you looked at that will fit on the F450 frame?

Just some food for thought as I packed ally FPV gear on that frame and had great success

No I'm not familiar with the Devo 10.

Was considering this fpv gear
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=781

Ok, 9" graupner props will do. Everything else look good though?

Last edited by a moderator:

DesJardins

Depending where you located I personally love my Futaba after using Spektrum and Futaba.
Devo is one of those that I have no experience with and don't see many touching them here in the states.

I went with the custom goggles kit as well and have enjoyed every minute of mine!
readymadeRC is the place to go for FPV gear.

Below were my selections

(ReadymadeRC custom goggles package)

ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz Tx
Circular Wireless Omni Skew Planar Wheel 5.8GHz Tx/Rx Antennas
Fat Shark Dominator goggles
Fat Shark 5.8GHz (-90dB) Rx module

Then you have to decide if your using a dedicated FPV cam like the 600 or a GoPro

JG-rn

Depending where you located I personally love my Futaba after using Spektrum and Futaba.
Devo is one of those that I have no experience with and don't see many touching them here in the states.

I went with the custom goggles kit as well and have enjoyed every minute of mine!
readymadeRC is the place to go for FPV gear.

Below were my selections

(ReadymadeRC custom goggles package)

ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz Tx
Circular Wireless Omni Skew Planar Wheel 5.8GHz Tx/Rx Antennas
Fat Shark Dominator goggles
Fat Shark 5.8GHz (-90dB) Rx module

Then you have to decide if your using a dedicated FPV cam like the 600 or a GoPro
I was going to just go dedicated cam (rmrc-700xv).

How is the quality of the video feed through the goggles with that setup?

Tony at RC-drones seems to like the devo 10 so I was just going to trust him on it? No matter what it's going to be a learning curve with the transmitter coming from an ar drone drone (albeit RC modded but still...)

DesJardins

Transmitter is all preference & the video to goggles is good, just something you have to view for yourself if anyone local has a set you can look through.

The 700/600 cams from ReadymadeRC are both great and I was told the go-to cam of choice is the 600 for the $.
I have a TBS69 right now and have not tried the RMRC cams.

JG-rn

Transmitter is all preference & the video to goggles is good, just something you have to view for yourself if anyone local has a set you can look through.

The 700/600 cams from ReadymadeRC are both great and I was told the go-to cam of choice is the 600 for the $.
I have a TBS69 right now and have not tried the RMRC cams.
Thanks,

Is the video feed any different with your gopro vs the tbs69?

I saw a pic of your f450 before the discovery frame and was going to set up the fpv gear the same way you did?

DesJardins

Thanks,

Is the video feed any different with your gopro vs the tbs69?

I saw a pic of your f450 before the discovery frame and was going to set up the fpv gear the same way you did?
Yes a dedicated FPV cam gives a different view and if you have room you'll get a better view from the FPV cam.

Now keep in mind I fly the GoPro all the time and my videos were all flown with the GoPro as the cam
:shrug:

JG-rn

Yes a dedicated FPV cam gives a different view and if you have room you'll get a better view from the FPV cam.

Now keep in mind I fly the GoPro all the time and my videos were all flown with the GoPro as the cam
:shrug:

do I need some kind of a mount for that 700 cam? Not sure exactly how it will atach to the base plate of the f450.

DesJardins

do I need some kind of a mount for that 700 cam? Not sure exactly how it will atach to the base plate of the f450.
The cam comes with a mount but you can simply double side tape it to the F450 plate as the cam is "cased"
Also just a bit of tape/Velcro/ rubber band around it for the extra security.

That method would keep your view at horizon as well

JG-rn

Question about batteries.

Is the HYPERION G3 EX 3300 MAH 3S 11.1V 45C/90C Lipo worth the $90? Seems like its so much because of the high C rating?

Id like to stick with a 3000+ mah 3-4s battery but I'm not sure what's a quality battery at a decent price. I have the Hyperion on order but can tell him to credit me the money.

kloner

Aerial DP
you want cheaper packs,,,, good brands are gens ace and sky lipo over at hobbypartz. hobbykings turnigy packs are killer too. I pay $30-$40 for a 40c 3000-4000mah pack..... max

kloner

Aerial DP
i should try one and see what the IR is like.... am judge my packs off IR, how much abuse they'll take and hold a decent IR to how many cycles they run. I'm a heavy amp user, 30-60 amps continuous for minutes on end is normal.... that kinda abuse seperates the men from the boys when it comes to the pack.

kloner

Aerial DP
I've been into electric rc for the last 3 years. one observation made early on trying hyperion and thunder power packs was i kept getting old stuff. like dust on the box, uneven cell voltages and crazy high IR's from brand new packs. IR is how they base the c rating of the pack. it is alsoa measurement you use to determine the end of it's life. nice chargers have it as a meter built in

turnight, gens ace and sky lipo have a huge turnover rate. To get a pcak more than 6 months old is unheard of and the byproduct of that is even cell voltages when they arive and super low IR. Gens ace 60c have the lowest IR of any pack i've tested. the turnigy packs in 40c are a close seconf. anything 30c or lower seems to be half used up when it arives by the IR readings

i'm looking at it scientificaly,,,,

JG-rn

I've been into electric rc for the last 3 years. one observation made early on trying hyperion and thunder power packs was i kept getting old stuff. like dust on the box, uneven cell voltages and crazy high IR's from brand new packs. IR is how they base the c rating of the pack. it is alsoa measurement you use to determine the end of it's life. nice chargers have it as a meter built in

turnight, gens ace and sky lipo have a huge turnover rate. To get a pcak more than 6 months old is unheard of and the byproduct of that is even cell voltages when they arive and super low IR. Gens ace 60c have the lowest IR of any pack i've tested. the turnigy packs in 40c are a close seconf. anything 30c or lower seems to be half used up when it arives by the IR readings

i'm looking at it scientificaly,,,,
Where are you finding the gens ace? Everywhere I look they're always out of stock.

kloner

Aerial DP
you gotta keep your eyes peeled for em.... hobbypartz is the only place that carries them in the states......

if your buying today, grab a couple sky lipo 40c in 3000-4000mah........ that's what i've flown in my discovery the last few months and they've held up really well....... there a nice solid pack,,,,, over $50 is free ship

JG-rn

you gotta keep your eyes peeled for em.... hobbypartz is the only place that carries them in the states......

if your buying today, grab a couple sky lipo 40c in 3000-4000mah........ that's what i've flown in my discovery the last few months and they've held up really well....... there a nice solid pack,,,,, over $50 is free ship
Ok I will do that. Are they 3s or 4s?