TBS ESC Lazy motor(s) starting problem

hazardpro

Hi guys.

Seems there is a issue with the Naza/ESC when using the TBS ESC's (which I just ordered) in that 1 (or 2) motors are 'lazy' and start up slow.

In my case they don't start till nearly 50% throttle
:upset:

I have been told that in order to fix this I should adjust my transmitter (Aurora 9) throttle end points to '-120 to +100'

Problem is I don't have that option on the Aurora 9, I am able to set the Throttle EPA to a max of L-100% H-100%

So I am not sure how to fix it....

I have to get to practically 50% throttle for the two lazy's to kick in, what worries me with this is that when powering down (eg landing) I am getting 1 or 2 motors stop just under 50% throttle (which would cause it to crash!
eek.png

Any help gratefully received!

D

hazardpro

Hi yes already done that, made up a 4 to 1 cable like this plugged all ESC's directly into the throttle channel on the receiver (via lead).

This is what I did:

1.Removed receiver from disco
2.plugged all ESC's directly into the throttle channel on the receiver
2.Supply independent power to receiver
3.Powered up Transmitter with throttle stick on max.
2.Powered up the disco (ESCs still connected to power/board)
3.Then move throttle stick to min on Transmitter
4.Power everything down
5. stick it all back in the disco

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
doesn't sound like the cali stuck... it should have made a beep sequence after lowering the stick. i'd try again

hazardpro

After (quite a few) attempts it now seems to be ok :) motors starting up as they should... test flight tomorrow.

Thanks

Doug

One possibility......Don't forget that the motors draw 1.5 times their normal running current at start-up. If your ESCs are not rated for 1.5 times your motor running current OR HIGHER, you won't have enough current getting thru all escs to meet motor startup current demand...... such that some or all motors will stall and simply heat up!

hazardpro

Hey Peter

That a good point, though in this case its specific to the TBS ESC's & Naza. I don't know why buy they require some 'tweaking' in order to get them to fire up but Trappy over at FPVLab have sent some off to SimonK for review.... Changing your throttle end point seems to be the solutions at the mo.

Doug

Bluerex

Hey guys, I had exactly the same issue, I found I had to wind up the Motor Idle Speed in the Naza assistant once I changed to non-dji opto ESCs and bigger motors on my 550.

Charles