Over-heating

baker55

Has anyone had any issues of electronics overheating under the dome? I haven't yet but its still winter here. What is the solution? sm

matwelli

just adding one little bit (electronics background) - heatsinks perform best (when not under direct airflow from a propellor or fan) if the fins are vertical, as natural convection helps create an airflow to help cooling.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
baker,
i made holes in the dome of my Mikrokopter with some brass tube that I sharpened and heated. somewhere in the MK wiki they mention making holes in the dome if you're lifting heavier loads because of the increased amps running through the bl's. i don't know if my stuff was getting hot or not but figured the holes couldn't hurt.
hope that helps,
bart

Attachments

• P1010295.jpg
    P1010295.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 149
  • p1010293.jpg
    p1010293.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 396

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
DroidWorx are now supplying pre drilled domes for the added cooling affect of airflow.. I'm with matwell heat skniks like those on Sandors video are the way forward.. In saying that what is an expectable running temperature of the BL's?

FlyEYE

Here's a photo of ones I just installed.

Attachments

• Heatsink on Speed Controler.jpg
    Heatsink on Speed Controler.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 215

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Any one know what is a safe temperature to regularly operate at? I can see my individual temps of each BL. The two controlling the rear motors (ithink)on my Y6 always seem to run hotter than the front four (I think)which I would expect.

Sandor talkes about his being up to 90ºc before he lifted his dome 10mm and fitted heat sinks and now they are running around 20/30ºc

How are they attached?

matwelli

Rule of thumb for electronics is 80 deg C max, basically if you cant hold your finger on it for 2 seconds its too hot, for motors , 60 deg or so is the max (magnets start to break down above 80-100 dep on mfg)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Morning Matwell... guess you are having your coco and getting ready for snoozing!

My Bl's can get up to 75ºc when carrying full load but quickly cool down.. During parctice sessions with no camera they are mid 60'sºc .my motors never seem to be even warm, but ill check um next flight.

For a few sheckles in the grand scheme of things would you fit them?

Dave

matwelli

Hi Dave, yep its 10:30 at night, and getting ready to hit the hay

I dont think my esc's get over 10deg above ambient in normal operation, but the are 25 amp rated, and only operate at about 5 amps in hovering.

Would I fit heat sinks ? if my temps were getting over 40-50 deg , yes, as with Mosfets its a vicious cycle, heat causes higher resistance in the mosfet, which causes more heat, and so on. (Mosfets are the semiconductor switches used in BL's)

I would change the mounting to get the heat sink fins vertical, and would also try (where possible) to make sure the heat from the ESC's was away from the controller (radiated heat affecting gyros)

On my quad, the ESC's are mounted on the ally arms, which seem to do a good job conducting the heat away

My New Quad design, i have the ESC's mounted at the very top, with the rest of the electrics slung underneath, will post up some photos when the parts get back from the waterjet cutter

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Mine are on a Hex distribution plate surrounding the MK stack. I dont have an option on moving them.

MRdreams ;)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Mine are on a Hex distribution plate surrounding the MK stack. I dont have an option on moving them.

MRdreams ;)

how does one go about accessing temps from the individual BL's in a Mikrokopter?thanksbart

If you have the Bl 2.0 you have a direct reading of the T° in MkTools.
From my point of view if you are planning to go on a heavy lift (more than 2kg payload) it's an insurance to place heatsink on Bl OR to place the Bl under the air flow.
I really prefer placing them in the air flow and that's why I have place some tapped hole along my spar on my frames :)
I have delivered a machine to a customer this week and I will attack the tests ! all the tests !
Motor AXi + XOAR propellers (several size/pitch,
Motor AXI + APC props
Vibrations of motors (AXI 2814/22, MK3538)
Vibrations on my frames

wow lots of tests ^^

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
how does one go about accessing temps from the individual BL's in a Mikrokopter?thanksbart

Hi Bart. I get my temps from the bl2's on my Jeti Telemetry system. I have a Jeti Mini box glued to my TX. So if I can get it via telemetry then it must be some were in the MKtool. If you have a bluetooth module I would have thought you could scope the info. I would get me bird out and take a look but she's all tucked up in bed which is were I am off in afew mins... Ahh I am not sleeping with my ADX!! shes tucked up in my van :eek:

I take a look tomorrow

Dave

matwelli

Wake up Dave, its well into the morning, im just about to have a coffee to keep awake.kids are still up too, ratbags, playing xbox well into the nite

I worry about you and your multirotor.... :)

Hi Bart. I get my temps from the bl2's on my Jeti Telemetry system. I have a Jeti Mini box glued to my TX. So if I can get it via telemetry then it must be some were in the MKtool. If you have a bluetooth module I would have thought you could scope the info. I would get me bird out and take a look but she's all tucked up in bed which is were I am off in afew mins... Ahh I am not sleeping with my ADX!! shes tucked up in my van :eek:

I take a look tomorrow

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
BL Temps

I cant seem to find anything in the MKtools that shows the temps. But there is an output of them coz I can see um on my Jeti Telemerty

Attachments

• BL Temps.jpg
    BL Temps.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 256

On the small LCD in Mktool.
just click on the Flight ctrl then push the right arrow until you find the page 15 that's the page for T°