DJI F550 w/NAZA and GPS-JITTERY GIMBAL SERVOS-UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This setup is virtually unusable for video with all of this servo jitter. I've turned my 1.3ghz downlink off and have tried HS-65HB, HS-65MG, and HS-5065MG servos (my mount only works with these....spline thing) but all experience jitter during stabilization. I've tried all types of gain and frequency settings with each servo but nothing seems to work. They don't jitter when sitting idle...only when stabilizing the gimbal. I tested and have 5.18V going from the NAZA gimbal servo outputs to the camera gimbal so it shouldn't be a voltage issue. Wires are routed clean and away from higher-voltage wire. The movement just isn't smooth as the servos move the camera around.

Have any of you dealt with this? I'm tempted to purchase a Hoverfly gimbal stabilizer if this doesn't get better.

EagleEye

Hey,
which gimbal are you using? I use the HS-65HB, too, and theres no major jittering it all. If I take a close look at the camera when moving the Quadro in my hand I can see some jittering because my servos run at 50 Hz. But it's not noticeable on the video.
Have you tried running the servos on an extra battery? Not sure if voltage on F1 and F2 may drop under stress in flight.
Which camera do you use / what about the weight? Are there any bearings that are too tight?

Best wishes,
EE

Here's the gimbal that I use:

http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=16892&idcategory=0

I'm using the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition. Here's some sample video (Warp stabilized):

http://www.vimeo.com/53333385

http://www.vimeo.com/53480162

Now that you mention it, my RAW footage isn't ALL that bad considering the amount of jitter that I get when moving the mount around on the bench. I do wish I could get it smoother though.

I will try powering the servos from an external BEC rather than the NAZA's voltage to see what that does.

kloner

Aerial DP
work on the jello problem first...... i was able to get mine to look somewhat smooth too, but when theres clouds in the sky and what not, it's a mess. Can see what all the warp stab did watching them

one of your motors is rattling away, mostly on that climb but it rattles most of the way... make sure the props are all clean and feel next time it lands feel for any motor hotter than another

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
just remembered something, there is a futaba servo alot of guys liked and theres another weird one, but can't remember the make and model, but it's cheap. I've never messed with a micro servo gimble

kloner

Aerial DP
i've smashed a futaba servo onto a hitec spline, it'll hold. Make sure your right where you want it and crank it down......

check that motor thing too. sometimes rotating a warmer motors prop 90 degrees can make that go away if you can ID which one it is.

I'd do that but these are metal to metal. Besides, I have my doubts about the Futaba serving as a resolution since the issue is spread across three different Hitecs. I believe the problem is further up the chain, not at the servo.

Well, I tried the S3156 servos as well as through an external BEC (common grounds with NAZA). System works but still jitter. Looks like I'm ordering a HoverflyGimbal.