Camera - Spny RX100 over the NEX5n ????

jhardway

To those out there looking at cameras, I recently purchased an RX100 and if you are on the fence about buying a NEX5 then I would tell you there are some other options out there.

Traditionally I am a Nikon guy but when it comes down to the multirotor world we are dealing with things that are not very typical. Since my focus on aerial imaging is both still and video my choices are narrowed down.

For what I can tell my biggest issues when it comes to multirotor copters are based on vibration and although both Nikon and Cannon make very good cameras, and both brands do a good job taking video, each brand do not seem to have the ability to stabilize vibration the way that Sony has.

When I started this a year ago I bought a Sony HX-9, I did this mainly I was working on finding a camera that could do both video and stills. Although the camera did a decent job with video I found its still photographs sub par, especially for a camera with a 12.3 mp files.

The result of the cameras 12.3 mp file to me was like having an 3mp Nikon camera. So as I was getting ready to upgrade my image gathering abilities I had to think about the direction I was going to go.

Here I am ready to spend some money for a system I can use for video so how was I going to do it. I have an DJI s800 that I have been sitting on, but not sure what type camera gimbal I was going to put on it. Since the only real system out there for it seem to be the Zenmuse I was not really happy with the thought of being locked into one of two cameras and a specific lens that I did not want anything to do with.

The s800 is another story but its what started locking in Sony as my camera of choice. When I was looking online at the different Sony's I came across the new RX 100.

At first I was not sure if it was a good idea, basically it was a $650 point and shoot system, however after reading into the camera I started liking the thought of the fact, it was a point and shoot camera. It chip is a new 20mp cmos which is the largest out there cameras in this range. It 4mp larger then the NEX models.

After reading a few reviews (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100 - good over all link) I came to the conclusion that I would give this camera a try.

I cannot say I am disappointed yet. Image quality is very satisfying, the detail I have seen from the images are also very good.

Pro's

• Small compact camera with a big punch.

• It's weight is great for mulirotor environment, at 240g's that's a pretty good result considering that a NEX5 is 340g with the 16mm lens.

• Stability is also a Plus, like typical xy stability correction, this camera also incorporates a new roll filter, something that has not been out there until now.
  • Battery life - I have not had a problem with yet, the hx-9 after shooting 20min of vid the camera would almost have to be recharged.

Cons

• Video on auto mode - I think it has the ability not to meter properly at times along with washing out some of the picture itself. The washing out effect I believe is directly related not having the camera set up right.

If any one else out there has input on this camera I would like to here about.

Attachments

• mail_e_site_DSC02843.jpg
    mail_e_site_DSC02843.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 133
  • mail_eDSC02719_stitch.jpg
    mail_eDSC02719_stitch.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 169
  • mail_eDSC02555.jpg
    mail_eDSC02555.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 284

Stacky

I have the RX100 and I have only 2 complaints, firstly I have to fire the shutter via a servo setup and secondly it would be nice to have had a wider angle of view available however the 28mm does look good. I havent had any issues with exposure so far which is great and the still images are very close to being as good as my Canon T3i files. .

I still havent had a chance to shoot any decent video from it kloner but this is a short hop with the in built camera stabilization on active. If you look closely you will see in the bottom corners of the image a little bit of an indication of the stabilization in place however the gimbal Im using has not proved to be that great and the camera is doing a great job of smoothing out its weaknesses, with a better gimbal i will get better results. In terms of stills I just shot some stuff for Top Gear magazine and TG were happy with the files out of the camera, it will be interesting to see if they use any of the aerial shots. This footage is the mp4 as it came out of the camera, I had the sound disabled.

Attachments

• _DSC0909a.jpg
    _DSC0909a.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 269
  • _DSC0889a.jpg
    _DSC0889a.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 232
  • _DSC0838a.jpg
    _DSC0838a.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 283
  • _DSC0806a.jpg
    _DSC0806a.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 268
  • _DSC0804a.jpg
    _DSC0804a.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 259
Last edited by a moderator:

Efliernz

Pete
I have 4 aerial shoots done with the RX100 now. I'm very happy with it.

146908317.jpg

original.jpg

Shot using a servo-shutter (virtual finger) and separate camera downlink (as the HDMI out is underneath, right behind the tripod thread)

large.jpg

Pete

Efliernz

Pete
It is a joy to use and very light. I needed a new camera after my LX3 went faulty. It was either a GH2 (which were still expensive down under) or the RX100. The 20mpxl large sensor is awesome. Yes - it is missing a remote and intervalometer which seems a serious over-sight in todays modern world but my main business is stills - not video, and it works well. 24mm would have been nice but I am appreciating the more natural look of the 28mm, but I need to fly behind me a bit more to fit things in.

No regrets ;)

Pete

jhardway

Here's some video, I see there is already some posted and thanks guys for weighing in, I have a few links, not a lot. I understand the 28mm to 24mm feel. I end up torn, we like to gather all we can with the littlest amount of working space, but as soon as you put distance to things the subject gets small fast, and the horizon can get a little warp, that is why I am not a fan of the 20 or 16mm world. With the 28mm you get a little more latitude but then you are fighting the have to get higher, further away elements.

Here are a few links, I fear I may not do the camera a good job representing it. In everyone of the links the camera was on auto control. I just not had a time to properly set it up.

In this first video. Some of the vid is shot in very low light, in fact you may see the lights on in some of the background buildings, it gets better about 15seconds in.

Second one was done with a little fun my neighbor who also works in the video field and wanted to explore the out of body experience idea, this was literally shot in five minute with not set up time or planning.

Last another just a spur of the moment, I was shooting photos for the property when I was asked for quick video, I lowered the copter and hit the record button. The camera was shooting straight into the sun, so you will see how it was fitting with it, but I do not believe the auto function does a good job handling this type of lighting. I do not think many camera's could handle it well also, especially with no way of controlling the iris on the fly.

Cheers all

kloner

Aerial DP
that shows it in a much better light, but does it seem like it's right on the edge of being jello? hard to make smooth film with it?

jhardway

ya I am not trying to sell the camera, what i can say I am happy with it. The vibration is more on me then the camera. Its my mount and also being on an F550 - which is a vibration machine. I am always trying to work it out. I am constantly testing ways of combating vibration, its a puzzle I really like playing with. If I got a real frame that can handle vibration then I would be in a good spot I believe.

I know enough about cameras and video to set things up, I just have not had reason or a lot of time to do it. I have started to looking into how to best run the camera other then being on auto, what I can't wait for is to try out is adding shutter speed. I have been playing around with it with, hand holding, and have seen some difference in the way its locking up. I now want to try it out on the copter. When i do I will post the results.

If DJI gave me an option for a z15 with the RX100 I would just take that route, it wouldn't have a problem there, then I would not be stuck with a 16mm lens.

That is my gripe to DJI, what is funny to me I wrote them about possibilities of configuring the 100 to the mount and what I got back I understand but still do not think it would be something hard for them to do. They told me because the mount is CG specific the camera is not an option, because of the weight.

When you look at the camera its lighter then the models they currently have configurations for while its CG's are fairly close to center. Oh well, maybe someday and on we go.

Stacky

I dont have any jello problems with my RX100, the problems I have are gimbal related and the camera stabilization is trying to compensate for some bad twitches which induces some distrotion in the corners. When on a gimbal thats operating properly its fine