Zero UAV UAV Zero Steadi470

johnno

Hi Jim, just reading about your bad run with Turnigy Nano Tech what Size and capacity were they cause I have a couple of 3s 4000ma using in a boat and they get a thrashing with no probs yet. your certainly having a bad run with the Steadi its turned out to be a bit of a monster, I have yet to go through all that stuff anyway good luck Jim, john.

socratic

Hi Jim, just reading about your bad run with Turnigy Nano Tech what Size and capacity were they cause I have a couple of 3s 4000ma using in a boat and they get a thrashing with no probs yet. your certainly having a bad run with the Steadi its turned out to be a bit of a monster, I have yet to go through all that stuff anyway good luck Jim, john.

Yes, it has turned out to be a bear! I have put together 4 multirotors in total. Programed up the KK board, Mega-Pirates Open Source, Naza and now this. By far, this is the most difficult. I think because documentation is so poor. For the assembly of the quad (including electronics) there is no documentation just a few poorly implemented videos. For the FC, I find all the documentation lacking in detail and the translation to English is poor at best. Maybe it is just me, but this is very slow going - and I still feel like a monkey at the proverbial typewriter trying to come up with the bible! In any case, once I work my way through, I will try to put together more (quasi useful) videos and at least hit on some of the things that stumped me.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnno

Hi Jim, Yes its a shame because the YS-X6 when its running correctly, forgetting about the steadi at this moment, seems to be about the best fc around and fact is there is so many all around the globe. the steadi, well thats another story I always swore I would never by anything early, let the bugs get sorted out then part with the cash but I just couldnt wait on this one, a lesson learned anyway Jim your not on your own we will just have to work it out. I am still waiting for TX -RX my supplier out here let me down so I have ordered from Hobbking it was cheaper anyway, cheers Jim. John.

PerryRC

I have been flying with a YS-X6 for a while, was a steep learning curve for sure. Even though I have experience with the FC the steadi is still not working for me. I have it assembled and calibrated, it simply is so unstable that it flops over before take off. It is also not tipping over in any one direction.

I have tried motion compensation tuning as well as all stability settings, no luck. I am out of things to try. Any ideas?

Mark

johnno

I have been flying with a YS-X6 for a while, was a steep learning curve for sure. Even though I have experience with the FC the steadi is still not working for me. I have it assembled and calibrated, it simply is so unstable that it flops over before take off. It is also not tipping over in any one direction.

I have tried motion compensation tuning as well as all stability settings, no luck. I am out of things to try. Any ideas?

Mark

Hi Mark, Yes it looks as though quite a few guys are having a number of different issues I wonder if there is someone out there who knows the guys at Uav Zero to get them to come online and offer some clues as to fixes? . John.

nicwilke

Mark, Zero your gyro by tapping the neutral position button in GCS.
I get the tippy anomaly sometimes, so do a near hover test (just not quite flying). If it feels too tippy.... Reboot and try again (unplug battery) some times a few quick flicks from manual to gps on chat works.

PerryRC

Thank you both, really appreciate the help, I will try the zero on gyro this morning. I spent last evening double and tripple checking everything, found nothing. Will let you know if the gyro reset works.

Mark

PerryRC

Tried zero gyro reset (several times) also tried to recalibrate ESCs no luck. Still is VERY unstable and tries to tip over. Motion compensation and other stability parameters also have no effect. I have ESCs set to "normal". Radio type set to SBUS. I have ensured IMUs and GPS etc are install in correct orientation and I have verified control via RC is correct (aleron elevator and rudder will move in correct direction with light skids).

In short still lost.

socratic

Tried zero gyro reset (several times) also tried to recalibrate ESCs no luck. Still is VERY unstable and tries to tip over. Motion compensation and other stability parameters also have no effect. I have ESCs set to "normal". Radio type set to SBUS. I have ensured IMUs and GPS etc are install in correct orientation and I have verified control via RC is correct (aleron elevator and rudder will move in correct direction with light skids).

In short still lost.

Here is a dumb suggestion (because I am sure you already have done it!!!) - motor 1 CC, 2 c, 3 cc, 4 c and pusher/regular props? I didn't want to insult you by even suggesting it. Also, I am running into an issue with #4 motor cutting out for no apparent reason. After calibration of throttle/esc I can get all motors to start at same time (finally) but after about 10 seconds # 4 cuts out around 1/2 throttle. ?????? Could that be going on with yours? I am stumped about what might be causing this problem. Guess I should bite the bullet and swap out a motor and esc (I guess I could just swap FC positions) to see if the problem follows the motor or if it is in the FC. Just getting a bit lazy (and fed up) with "trial and error!"

Last edited by a moderator:

socratic

I swapped position 3 and 4 and got the exact same issue occurring on motor 3 now. Kind of tells me that the problem is isolated to M4 output on the flight controller. (At least I know the ESC and Motor are okay.) Anyone have a suggestion?

PerryRC

Found it. One of my frame arms was bent. This caused one motor to be out of alignment. Bent the arm, bubble level checked frame to all arms till perfect, and set motion compensation to 100.

Not more tipping and flys as smooth as glass. Will post a video soon. Cannot believe I didn't check this sooner. Did not for a minute think the arm could have been bent. Not the first time I forgot to check mechanical issues first.

More to come.

Mark

Sonic

Glad to hear you're in the air.. I had a great time in the air until mine crashed (minus 12 degrees celcius outside) when battery dies all of a sudden. Today I even ruined my video downling by faulty connecting the 6.6V battery source to the HDMI2AV converter instead of the 5V bec. This tech **** is expensive for sure :( ..and it takes weeks to get new parts here in Norway. ..adding the one test I got before it went down: http://youtu.be/jkgpNdPozuA?hd=1

PerryRC

Sorry to hear about your crash.

Our winter is upon us here too, was only 77 (or 25 celcius this weekend :). Was able to fly and test had a great time. Getting better than 10 minutes out of some new 5850mah batteries. Was able to fly a NAZA F550, YS-X6 F550 and the Steadi470. No issues, didnt break anything (for a change). I am still tuning the Steadi parameter settings, vertical decent is still numb (loses altitute to quickly and is difficult to over ride), need to continue to work on the settings.

Mark

johnno

Hi Jim, Bit of a bummer if you have to send it back specially this time of the year, how good is your local dealer? john.

johnno

Sorry to hear about your crash.

Our winter is upon us here too, was only 77 (or 25 celcius this weekend :). Was able to fly and test had a great time. Getting better than 10 minutes out of some new 5850mah batteries. Was able to fly a NAZA F550, YS-X6 F550 and the Steadi470. No issues, didnt break anything (for a change). I am still tuning the Steadi parameter settings, vertical decent is still numb (loses altitute to quickly and is difficult to over ride), need to continue to work on the settings.

Mark
Hi Mark, will be interested to see your final settings compared with the original..... john.

socratic

Anyone using the latest Firmware upgrade 11-28-12? Every since I loaded it, the stabilizer no longer works properly. I am still having difficulty with motor(s) cutting out with full elevator, aileron and rudder. Been trying to work with Zero directly but it is very painful!!!!! I am REALLY close to just calling it quits and moving on to another project. Keep tuned, someone might just get a hell of a deal on a never flown Steadi470!

johnno

Anyone using the latest Firmware upgrade 11-28-12? Every since I loaded it, the stabilizer no longer works properly. I am still having difficulty with motor(s) cutting out with full elevator, aileron and rudder. Been trying to work with Zero directly but it is very painful!!!!! I am REALLY close to just calling it quits and moving on to another project. Keep tuned, someone might just get a hell of a deal on a never flown Steadi470!

Hi Jim, Sorry to hear all this it is really bad on Zero's image to ignore something like this I have spoken to my Dealer out here who has close contact with Zero so I copied your problem for him, did you get anything out of Zero?? can you drop the upgrade and go back I dont know this is all new gear to me the only reason I bought Zero was that it was suppose to be the best of the bunch but it looks as if its has its fair share of problems Oh for a RTF John.

robone

Why don't you go back to the previous FW version.