550 kit v custom build

Millsy

Hi,

Decided on getting a F550 with Naza GPS system with Futaba 8j radio.

I keep reading that the props, motors etc that come with the kits aren't very good, am i better off just getting a frame & then my own motors, props esc? If so can someone suggest which one work best.
Also which is better to run, 3s or 4s?

It's all for a newbie to start with. once i get the hang of it i want to install some go pros & set up for FPV. So i would prefer to set it up properly from the start.

Sorry for so many questions.

Cheers
Millsy

Hello Millsy,

I know your concerns... but my input: you are getting started, and you will have some accidents. My opinion is that you get a DJI clone.. or perhaps the actual DJI 550 kit. Do a google on "RM550 hexa".. make sure you notice the Version (V1 or V2). These are kits that the body plates have wiring already trace in them. All you have to do is solder them on.

Lots of the issues I have seens and experience. have been bad electrical contacts. If you are new, you may not have a video TX, gimbals.. etc.. so as long as you carefully read and do a checklist to check off. you may be surprise.

here is my checklist to help you get started if you do use the DJI 550 clone or not kit.

1. make sure your solder is solid.
2. Don't use the bullet connectors on the motors.. cut them off and solder them on directly to the ESC.. (be careful not to heat up ESC to much" You might want to solder this after you do step 6.
3. Tape as much wires, down and keep everything from floating around while in flight.
4. make sure to take baby steps.. I know when I first got started.. I just took it out and tried to lift it 1 ft to see it hover. DON'T do that.
5. verify wires again.
6. with props removed, put tape on them and when you power on, identify which motor is spinning which direction. Make sure it matchs your flight controller configuration.
7. if all is well. I would leave the rotors/probs off, then power the system and get it to idle, and try to tilt the hexa into a direction and take note if the motors try to spin faster or slower. This simulates it in ATTI or trying to level the hexa. (assuming you are going with a NAZA or WKM).
8. Double check your 8J config with the Flight controller again.
9. Double check the solder on the ESC and motors.
10. I would then go outside in clear area and have fun little by little.

I am sure there are lots more steps, but I item the things that were not in the manual that I wish I would have known. I have put props on incorrectly, I have had a bullet connector go bad, I have crashed on my first hexa maiden flight, I have had several crashes due to the bullets.

I have never had a DJI prop break yet. (though I think it depends on flight pattern and how you fly) I am the slow and safe flying. I do change the props after about 35 flights.. that is what I read and did not want to risk. Now, I have go to APC props. much more stable and seems to sound better.. not that I can hear any better.
I have never had a DJI motor go bad yet.
I have never had a ESC motor go bad yet.
How I figured this was just replacing my broken arms and I am still using the same motor and ESC.

This doesn't mean it will last, but just my experience.

As for the WKM software/firmware. I would recommend reading around. I have 3 WKM, and 1 NAZA. I had started out trying to update my WKM each time a new update came out. I learned it was fun till I spent most of my batteries trying to alter gains, and calibrating. I finally got each hexa flying as exceptable and now I am just spending my time enjoying it. I try to avoid the temptation of updating my firmware.. but I know there are both sides of view depends on you.

I hope this helps and enjoy your venture!

KS
ps.. forgot to add.. check your fail-safe settings....

Last edited by a moderator:

Millsy

Hi KS/Kloner

Thanks alot for your help, makes lot of sense.
So sounds ok to get the kit & start from there.
I should have mentioned, im new to the flying type Rc, but have been playing with cars for a few years. Done a fair few builds/rebuilds etc so know a bit about soldering/wiring motors etc.

How do you know what prop size to pick?
any info on what battery setup to run 3s or 4s?

Cheers
Millsy

kloner

Aerial DP
it's a weight to lift thing as far as what you match up. in naza we try to make it hover at half stick in manual once were actually flying and worrying about making it fly better. 3s uses larger props, 4s smaller props. small props do good in wind, but big props carry loads better, again its a fine line you worry about once it's not breaking an arm every trip out. for now, just get a decent prop under it, i'd go over the connectors on the motors with a solder iron like he said, but i'd still run the connector, the problem is the solder job from wire to connector on the motor side.

depending what direction you go depends on how you set the thing up. Your in for a whole new learning curve. sit back and take a deep breath

mailman35

the 550 hex is also a different beast when compared to a quad. there is a bit more power, as well as finer control/sensitivity that you might not have with a quad. the best bet is to get a sim and fly some different craft then figure out where you are going to start.

Millsy

Oh ok, so which is better for a newbie quad or Hex?

What Sim is best to try as there are quite a few.
Aren't the sims more for heli/planes? Aren't the multi's alot easier to fly in comparision due to fixed pitch, flight controller etc.
easier for us dummies anyway..lol

Cheers
Millsy

QUOTE=mailman35;65374]the 550 hex is also a different beast when compared to a quad. there is a bit more power, as well as finer control/sensitivity that you might not have with a quad. the best bet is to get a sim and fly some different craft then figure out where you are going to start.[/QUOTE]