40mm stator motors on Flame Wheel 450 frame?

Pelted

Is there any issue with fitting a 40mm motor such as the Tiger MT-4006, or FM4008 to the stock DJI Flame Wheel
F450? I want to [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]practice[/FONT] flying on this frame with the NAZA before upgrading the frame to one of the FPV ones like the QAV500. I just don't see spending the cash on all the DJI motors even in the ATF kit when I know I'm going to upgrade to one of those other ones.

kloner

Aerial DP
depends, the flamewheel arms are a 16mmx19mm bolt pattern. i've seen them motors in a really big 4 bolt pattern and a 3 bolt pattern. if it needs 11" props your done.

why not get a discovery?

Pelted

depends, the flamewheel arms are a 16mmx19mm bolt pattern. i've seen them motors in a really big 4 bolt pattern and a 3 bolt pattern. if it needs 11" props your done.

why not get a discovery?

Well that was helpful thank you. The motors in question have a 25mm x 25mm bolt pattern and the tigers have the 3 hole pattern. Darn. But 10" props either way.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the TBS when I ran across the QAV. The fact is I need some learning and flight time under my belt before I go all spendy on either of these very nice FPV frames. I love the lower profile wider 40mm motors. The QAV withe the TBS Core is where I want to go, but taking advice from around the forms and reading a lot a simulator and something like the DJI Flame Wheel seems a better place to learn. I'm a decade or more removed from flying rc planes casually and know what it's like to crash the $$$ into the ground not knowing what I'm doing.

kloner

Aerial DP
the best money spent today would be a tbs frame like this

http://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/product:98
http://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:750kv_30aesc
http://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:f450_arms

from there decide what flight controller you like naza, cc3d, wk, whatever and it would like 4s and a set of 10 graupner props. apc would be a close second

I came in fresh off single rotors and 3d airplane and the simplicity of something like naza and it's self leveling, atti height holding ability to fly around made me fall in love with the hobby all over again. A year in and i still get that grin...... It is very easy to progress. if you have any orientation skills, a rig like this makes it come back super fast. they are more like helicopters than planes though,,, the whole hover thing

Pelted

The NAZA is already on its way. The body and motors are what I've been mulling over, we'll that and the 8FG or Aurora 9, my old radios just won't cut it. How well does the top and bottom plates of the TBS Discovery hold up in a crash? I would hope the cheap arms would fail first without needing to replace the more costly body pieces. I will need to get those LOS ordination skills back, just from the sim it is obvious they are perishable skills if you don't practice.

kloner

Aerial DP
not quite as strong as a stock plate,,,,,, but the motors and esc's aren't something that'll crash you like a stock 450 arf will. that is money very well spent. if you don't push your learning, you'd do fine. if you want to progress faster than you are able to, then a f450 might be a better choice..... but watch them motors bullet connectors

Pelted

So with that setup, which I have looked at before, are the graupner 10s and a 4s the ideal power solution? eCalc is way over my head at the moment, but I'm working on sorting out all the variables. I was looking at the HK 4s 3300 LiPos. Other than voltage I'm struggling to find how you balance the motor power to the 3s or 4s packs. I really need to learn what goes into eCalc.

kloner

Aerial DP
yes, 10" with the 750kv tiger setup... 4s anywhere between 3000 for hovering, 4000 for flat out full forward flight, simonK flashed esc's, something that can take you places, not just get you locked up testing why your rig is flipping over, but teach you things and do them without surprises. It's not a whole lot more money but is a whole lot more machine. I started with a f450 arf last christmas. the only thing still with me is the esc's and the naza

I never looked at ecalc, the rig i'm showing you has been tested quite a while in real life, if you have specific questions post them at the main thread on it at and they'll get answered by somebody using them. There the bettr mileage less pop setup, the 900 kv set is the high power setup

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?5371-TBS-DISCOVERY-New-quadrocopter-frame/page226