Spooky future of Multirotors.....???

ChrisViperM

Just found this on the internet...imagine this thing combined with propellers. No more looking for your copter after a crash....it will walk home :tennis:

First I thought it is a render, but this monster is real !

...but having the A-Pod in the bedroom would give me shivers....

If you look at the complexity and smoothness of this robot, it makes you wonder about the problems with some gimbal controllers

....check out the channel from this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZentaOlbaid

Blog: http://robot-kits.org/

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Blacksails

You can buy the kits for building the a-pod and many of his other multi-limbed bots. They're amazing. For quite some time now I've wanted to build the A-pod and craft some form of fold out (insect wing style) quad onto its back. I will be doing this after Christmas hopefully. Should be an interesting little aerial/terrain fpv explorer

ChrisViperM

For quite some time now I've wanted to build the A-pod and craft some form of fold out (insect wing style) quad onto its back. I will be doing this after Christmas hopefully. Should be an interesting little aerial/terrain fpv explorer

That would be freaking awesome....

I know it's possible to buy kits like that, but the most amazing thing to me is the brain behind writing the code. There is no Multinational R&D behind, just a one-man-show. Here is an interview with the guy who invented it (you have to turn sub-titles on):

Chris

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Great stuff..

Let me in that workshop for half an hour ,and I`d soon have it looking like a tip:frog:

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
You can buy the kits for building the a-pod and many of his other multi-limbed bots. They're amazing. For quite some time now I've wanted to build the A-pod and craft some form of fold out (insect wing style) quad onto its back. I will be doing this after Christmas hopefully. Should be an interesting little aerial/terrain fpv explorer

These insectoid robots are pretty cool, but IMO, a rolling robot is much more efficient at actually going places. Any Rover based on a one the many "Crawler" RC truck kits will probably far outperform it.

I have been thinking about attempting to lift and "deploy" a Rover using a multicopter or heli. It would be fun.

If you look at the complexity and smoothness of this robot, it makes you wonder about the problems with some gimbal controllers

I agree. However, you must remember that the servos in these robots are not subject to vibration, and quickly reversing loads. They are typically loaded only in one direction. Therefore the geartrain slop is not a problem.

plingboot

here's my hexapod…

I started with one of zenta's phoenix hexa's from lynxmotion, but at the time you programmed it to do a bunch of moves, via zenta's excel spreadsheet app, but you didn't have direct control it just ran move sequencies.

Then i saw Mat Denton's micromagic hexapods, which is what the one in the clip is. This is a Uk based one man development. The hexapod can be controlled rc style via a wireless PS2 controller - with various walk gaits etc, but in this example it's rigged up to RoboRealm with a cheapo usb webcam and is running a blob detection programme, where it looks for a particular colour and then follows it.

I've been trying to work out how to get the roborealm face detection plug-in working, which will mimic Mat's closed source ic hexapod - which looks for and tracks faces and if you stare at it long enough it takes a pic and add's it to it's own blog

ChrisViperM

here's my hexapod…

You guys crack me up.....watching the vid from plingboot makes you think that bot is alive......
I also follow posts from R_Lebvre and other talented guys who know a lot about programming.....to me it always will be a mistery.

In this forum we must have the highest concentration of genius......:tennis:

Chris

DennyR

Isn't that the guy who looked like he was trying to kill himself with a full size garage contraption that wanted to create the flip of death before it got off the ground.... Totally Mad.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yes, that's him. Innovators are often ridiculed. ;) I've never seen the video myself but would love to.

Seriously though, he's very smart, just a little braver than the rest of us.