Next generation home 3D printers: Replicator 2

Kilby

Has anyone seen the new Makerbot Replicator 2? They have upped the resolution to print in 100 micron layers... about the same thickness as a sheet of printer paper. No more stair step sides on your parts. These might actually be good enough to print copter parts from now.

What do you think? Would you trust a set of motor mounts made from one of these?

https://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html

I have been using the Ultimaker for the last few months and I like it. The PLA material is not very strong though and getting a print to go as planned is something that takes practice.

The PLA material is not strong enough for key parts. I used it for FC boxes, lipo holders, various small parts, etc.

If I was to to it again I would get one with a heated bed platform.

The assembled printer is nice but you miss all the fun of putting the kit together yourself.

kloner

Aerial DP
i've bought some of the stuff made from these but never got into getting one. Scale helicopter guys love these things..... interior pieces, exterior parts, unreal for that kind of thing. i did color printing on vinyl for a while and if this is anything like that where you gotta use it or loose it is a pain. Do these get clogged up is they sit to long? Whats cleaning up so that doesn't happen like?

Does it always work?

Do these get clogged up is they sit to long? Whats cleaning up so that doesn't happen like?

Does it always work?

No cleaning needed. Just let it heat up. Extrude some PLA, adjust platform level and you are good to go. First layer is the critical one. You want to make sure that the plastic sticks to the bed.

Kilby

There seems to be a lot of potential there though. RRH, how much does the PLA run? I'm just curious what cost of operation is once you invest in the equipment.

kloner

Aerial DP
and if you wouldnt mind id like to see something out of a modern printer, not from the manufacturer of the things site,,,,, what yours actually does on your desk

the prices have come way down since 10 years ago,,, bet it's better too. I've ran a knife plotter the last 20 years and these kinds of tools tend to make work for themselves. There generaly really easy to pay for themselves quick if you get a good one

View attachment 6453
Only have these available on my phone. This is on fast draft settings. On high quality the results are better but printing time takes a hit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 389

kloner

Aerial DP
that's pretty clean...... looking at the material you linked, is that cmyk so it makes any color?

is the whistle hollow? is there a ball inside?

A few color options available plus a soft rubbery material. Yeap the whistle is printed with a ball inside. You just use some tweezers to brake the thin piece that holds the ball in place. Pretty loud whistle :)

Lots of items to print for free on thingiverse.

It's not bad. I can stand on the whistle and not break ( scientific test of 98 kilos ;-) ). I would not use it for critical parts.

ChrisViperM

I can stand on the whistle and not break ( scientific test of 98 kilos ;-) ).

+1 on that one

To buy one of these things and to master the printing process is something I would not have a problem with, but I guess you also should be capable of getting data into the printer...meaning to be capable to work with some sort of CAD software. This CAD stuff gave me always headache....The engineers in my company tried to teach me, but they gave up.... :02.47-tranquillity:

Chris