Found My Distro Board Finally... Powerhungrysystems.com

jes1111

because gold doesn't tarnish/oxidize, so it's the best way to make low-resistance sliding/switching contacts - like bullet connectors that are gold plated.

EDIT: typo - reversed my intended meaning :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
The idea of using Alu is good, but the biggest ***** in joining metals together is aluminium. Even soldering/brazing Alu to Alu is such a pain, and Alu to Copper is almost impossible. In my company we weld, solder and braze almost all metals, but if a customers comes up with aluminium, we just duck and dive. One of the few possibilities is to get the Aluminium galvanized/gold plated before you can join the cables with a normal soldering iron (I guess you don't want to fiddle around on your rig with a proper torch). Another way I have found is seen on the following vid, but dunno anything how practical it is to solder 2x 8 wires or how well it will hold together.

Chris,

How hard would it be to set up an aluminum brazing tank in my garage? something large enough to dip camera mount assemblies?

Thanks,
Bart

ChrisViperM

errr....do you mean to brazing/welding a tank made out of aluminium, or to make a tank for galvanizing (dipping) camera mount assemblies....?

Sorry for my dumb question

Chris

3dheliguy

This is an awesome board seen it and it works that's all I need to know... I have looked a ton of crappy distro board and heard horrible stories of failures in flight... This thing works, and when you see something work with a fully loaded Skyjib, with a Red scarlet on board flying for more than 8 minutes and comes down cool enough in 90 degree weather you know you got a winner... Im no engineer, i just love to fly, if you want to fly and make money with a 10000 dollar rig whats another 324 for piece of mind, I'm running an Octo for a photographer, and I'm not really worried about the extra couple grams of solid copper that this will weigh.

jes1111

I agree the price is irrelevant if it gives you confidence on a big rig. The aspect I would worry about is the use of bullet connectors: they are notorious for shaking themselves use - as in, disconnecting themselves in flight when subjected to vibration. The usual guard against this would be to heat-shrink over the connection such that you have to cut that heat-shrink off to disconnect - that's ok because these are "semi-permanent" connections that you'd only need to disconnect during on-the-bench maintenance. The inboard connectors on this doo-dah do not allow a heat-shrink sleeve to secure them - so you need to find another way to secure those connections - maybe a big blob of hot glue, maybe a tensioned wire wrapped around opposite connectors to "pull" them inwards - something that positively locks those connectors in place so that they cannot come out except when you want them to.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
errr....do you mean to brazing/welding a tank made out of aluminium, or to make a tank for galvanizing (dipping) camera mount assemblies....?

Sorry for my dumb question

Chris

a dip-brazing tank for bonding aluminum assemblies together.

kloner

Aerial DP
if it makes you confident, do it. your money, your toy.

At the end of the day when your flying along and gotta go overhead or over water you'll know the power distro aint holdin ya back, even though i doubt with your skill level of flying anythings gonna

is it faa certified? It has that look and price, but no mention of the words. Not to be weird, but if your waiting to fly legaly, I might wait on what i buy cause that might be required on all of it, we don't know yet but it requires faa inspection to be legit now, dunno if it needs faa certified parts or not. Every aircraft in teh planet excet experimental does now and i think even alot of experimental does need em if not all. they just can't fly for hire or carry paying passengers, can fly old crap like hu1's, things from a long time ago usually. where are they gonna draw the line between requiring certified parts? uas/uav?

3dheliguy

Yeah, I'm just going off of what I see work, and this does. Cloner I wouldn't worry to much abut the FAA, I would worry about getting things started to be up and running with a name for yourself is better than waiting for certifications. Your a smart guy, I'm sure you can see what's going on. I do a little investing for myself, and this investment is worth it if you can spend the time mastering your craft... I spent so many hours on the sim, and training myself if the same amount is applied I can only see positive things. This will be a whole new industry for the world, and they will be looking for the top 1% of individuals with the skills and dedication to there craft... For a person to be successful it means time and dedication, you can't just buy the best stuff and it expect results, you have to learn your trade better and be well versed in the specifics of these machines... For instance a steady cam operator seems like and easy job, you basically have camera rig strapped to you and hold onto the actual boom coming down from the camera that's it right, wrong they take years to master, and only the top 1% make it to the top level it's just like everything else... But it would be a mistake not to find the value in persistence in creating an operator with great skill.

I may be a decent pilot, but I got years to go before I can call myself a skilled or professional MR or Arial rig Professional. If your already in the RC industry you are blessed in my opinion, you have the unique ability to switch quicker into this industry then top level photographers, the reason you understand what it takes to get a good system running, along with how to keep them working, if you are not in the RC industry then you got some time to learn just the basics, and you will probably have sometimes when you will want to give up, because of a bad crash or what not, and if you have a ready to fly kit your doing more harm than good... Learn your trade! In my opinion there are very few out there that can call themselves professionals, and they did what i did jump in to just know your limit, and don't use credit cards, if you cannot afford a rig don't buy it chances are you will crash, and that will the end for you.

ChrisViperM

a dip-brazing tank for bonding aluminum assemblies together.

If you want to make this a full-time business, my answer would be "maybe". The problem is not to set something up, it's more the details to run it. You need A LOT of electricity to heat it up and keep the desired temperature (~ 509°C). You also need to have the process under control, since the temperature where the bonding starts and the temperature where aluminium start to become soft (weakening point) is very close. Also the monitoring of the right mixture of the chemicals (different salts) is essential. You must also consider that the parts to be joind must follw certain design pattern to make it possible to dip them without fixing the parts together by wires or similar.
If you are not planning to make thousands of alu camera mounts, it might be easier nad more cost effective to send the stuff to a company which is specialized in this.
This guys are on your side of the cost: http://sterlingprecisioninc.com/aluminum-dip-brazing

I don't know how deep your knowledge about dip brazing (and similar) is, but here are some links in case you (or anyone else here) is interested:

http://sourcing.indiamart.com/engineering/industrial-supplies/brazing/dip-brazing/
http://www.aerobrazing.com/
http://www.dipbraze.com/
http://www.mech-tronics.com/f_brz.htm
http://www.lucasmilhaupt.com/en-US/products/pastes/aluminumpaste/29/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrCMMEs5pdI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/user/muggyweld
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqkceLrH9Ao&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRWmpSE-hXk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=xuejxD4JbhI&feature=endscreen

Hope I could help...

Chris

kloner

Aerial DP
that's what i've been doing for a year, working on perfecting my mr craft keeping/flying/setup skills in real life situations. I'd go a step further and say you'd been better off with a smaller cheaper rig to learn the specific things like how you get back your flight qualities after a crash. how to fix jello if it pops up mid shoot, how and whats good spares to have along. how to deal with batteries in all sorts of environments, sims don't do that for ya. Theres alot more to it then a buying a craft and learning to fly it. It's alot different than sitting under an awning at an ama club, that's for sure.

I've got 2 friends in town and another in Sac inspecting houses that have been and are established. I'm heading the Real Estate picture/movie route with anticipation of everything being different than you expect when the rules come through. I'll keep perfecting my real life skills in anticipation. once your working, you aint practicing much, your too stressed trying to get a decent shot and getting ready for the next day. I can tell you a year in of hands on experiance aint no where near enough to go do it for work that feeds my families mouth and keeps a roof over our heads

Them 1% will either buck up and switch over or be out in the cold. i can afford anything i want, but the idea of doing it twice would be out of the question. Especialy in the time frame were looking at...... we should already see the rules, someday very soon your gonna. Right now the rules in affect require faa inspection of the craft and i think in some cases the parts are certified....... military, cops are paying huge money, i'm pretty sure it's not the paint there charging for.

3dheliguy

Yep Kloner your right. That's why your at a big advantage, and your going to be getting into bigger stuff someday. I'm not really worried about the Big stuff productions, there are so few that handle that stuff it's not even funny... The only thing I know is I have the ability to learn quick, and keep improving, that's all I can hope for and that's all I look forward to. The super stressful stuff can wait, that's part of the learning curve, but I will say that people that almost no nothing about this stuff are doing ok, so it all depends on how fast you want to go, and how many mistakes you want to make.

kloner

Aerial DP
when you get it all together, let me know where you'll be flying and when, i'd love to see something like this go.

3dheliguy

For sure... I will be working on this thing for a bit but when she is ready to go you bet I will give ya message telling you where we can meet up and fly. I'm planning on flying a lot of my demo reel in SD. So You can come check out some of the ideas for my demo reel.

3dheliguy

I like how you guys are leading the way for a new board design, that's awesome stuff. To me it's all about what I need and now, If you have time, and you want to do this then by all means don't spend the money... For me I know it's going to take me a solid month of flying and testing just to get the system to run accurately... So I can't spend to much time on one part, I'm already been waiting a week for motors witch are going to be KW8, and the ESCs that were planned on using are not usuable for the motors so that means more time... So all in all these things take time, but you got to have a limit of how cheap you want to go for results, and since I have seen this board fly, and having the board coming down room temperature is amazing to me.

Power-hungry boards pros- 1.able to handle a huge amount of amperage. 2. Bullet connector for easy disconnecting after flight. 3. High modular design advantage for frame. 4. Cuts down messing wiring. 5. Design to fit droidworx, and Cinestar. 6. piece of mind while flying priceless.... ;).

Power hungry cons- 1. Weight should be used for hexa and Octo design. 2. "Price" it's not for everyone, but that's the name of the game. 3. If every one could afford these machines well it would different than it is today, and we probably would not want to do this type of hobby.

Anyways just wanted to keep my thoughts alive for some of you that are looking for what works, and don't have the time to spend doing the more tricky design aspect for MR power boards.

This board is being used in conjunction with DJI WKM Iris arials favorite System... He he just messing man, I just wanted to keep you in the mix, maybe you could chime in with Wookang hatred for the Hoverflylovers. You crack me up.

I have to agree that the price is absolutely ridiculous. Further more, It looks like an accident waiting to happen. I notice the cheap hong kong plastic standoffs that are keeping the two pieces of copper plates seperated. If those touch in any way, there is sure to be a lot of flames and smoke. Sorry, but I have to say that soldering bullets to a couple pieces of copper, and seperating the two metal plates with a couple plastic stand offs is a bad idea. Maybe it will work for a cheap $5 home brew dist board, but to list it as a product to the general public for over $300 is a major Fail. I def would not use it on any copters I build. There are quite a few other ways to accomplish this, that are much safer, and more reliable that do not cost nearly as much.

jes1111

I just looked again at their site - they changed/expanded it a little bit. There's now a sticker on the top which proclaims "Patent Pending"... oh, come onnnnnn!

Add to the "cons" list:
- Bullet connectors for easy disconnecting <s>after</s> during flight. ;)

And the video demo - 6:30 flight and the temperature of the board is 89ºF when the ambient is 92ºF! It's so effective it actually cools itself .... damn, must be worth the money!

3dheliguy

Yeah, That would be a very bad situation... So def don't want that to happen when running dull boards. That reminds me of burning up Castle creations ESCS and lipo fires so good point.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Meh. I simply used two 5/8" ID pure copper washers, and soldered the leads right to it. Simple. The only problem is it takes a LOT of heat to solder things to it. You need a 200+W soldering gun and some skill.

The washers were only a couple bucks, and I guarantee will take more amps than any PDB, or the wires attached to them.

jrlederer

Totally, I encountered the same issue when soldering up 8 CC 75A ESC leads to each of two solid copper loops I made from equivalent of 8AWG solid copper wire. It absolutely tests both your soldering skills as well as your equipment's temperature range holding capability. I had the knob turned past full and barely succeeded in getting proper joints formed at each node.