Hamer X4 - Ultimate Kopter for Filming Industry

krleas

FPV Freak

Attachments

• kopterworx-_MG_2728v2.jpg
    kopterworx-_MG_2728v2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 371

mitmit

now imagine what will happen when this 22kg brick fall on someones head..
all this "any-weight-lifters" rush is totally wrong direction.
be careful guys

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I dont think there is going to be much of a difference if 30 lbs falls or 15lbs, it's all over at that point. Just investment and insurance. but if you are flying a camera rig that weighs 30+ lbs, i bet you will be twice as safe flying it as you have at least $20k in the air.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I think mitmit is thinking more about the unfortunate head that it falls on when it goes tits-up. Who gives a $hit about the damage to the gear if someone wants to fly that much money.

I tend to side with mitmit with his comment about the 'all-weight-lifters' rush and prefer, for the time being, to limit the size of the airframe and all-up weight. But, the super-heavy-lifter research still has to be done, to satisfy an increasing demand for heavy 2K, 4K, 5K and above cameras, as the pros and trendies leave HD behind. A single rotor heli can provide the necessary lifting grunt with less effort but is not always suitable for the location.

Fortunately, the KW crew, in pushing the normal boundaries of human perseverance by forgoing basics like sleep, continue to save us all loads of money by building all manner of wild and daring machines that seek to establish lift capacities.

mitmit

guys, I'm no doubt appreciate what CW guys do, from the tech side.
but you must remember one thing that is most important - every rc aircraft will fall down sometime, its just a matter of time.
from this point, when I watching vids like that when CW guys were flying over heads of thousands of people on some music performance, AT NIGHT(!), and, I suppose, the weight of that craft was also not less than 10kilos, - I'm just gettin scared.
every time you take off you should switch-on the red banner in your mind - "this thing could fall down every f---g second".

and btw there IS a big difference between 22kg and 5-6 for example, from the point of it falls on somebody. 22kg fallin from 50m will easily kill..
cheers

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Nice DW Skyjib X8. Wonder what's the efficiency loss going from a flat 8 to X8.

I just tested this on the weekend and confirmed the typical numbers of 20-30%.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjWH4Q7IAU5YdFRfY2ZxWHdaYlp4cnZPT1pfVGRlLVE#gid=0

D
/L 1.18 is a two motors with an 18% blade overlap, staggered by just over 1%. I basically proved out a theory that you can overlap the blades up to 40% with much less performance loss, and it allows for a more compact platform.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
In countries where their are laws about flying these things it would never get a ticket. I do admire the build though but I in mitmit's corner on this one.

@ Yuri, the kinetic energy of a 22kg lump hitting ones bonce would be a great deal higher than a 10kg lump.. Ill take the 10 kg you can have the 22kg! ;-)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
D/L 1.18 is a two motors with an 18% blade overlap, staggered by just over 1%. I basically proved out a theory that you can overlap the blades up to 40% with much less performance loss, and it allows for a more compact platform.

!8% overlap.. or 40% overlap. could you please explain. Does this mean a coaxial with a bigger prop on one than on the other?

Dave

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I wasn't making an argument against the physics of more weight falling doing more damage, I was simply stating that they will BOTH do an immense amount of harm so it shouldnt matter what you fly. 10lbs falling from 50m would probably kill someone as well. it's like saying you dont have to be safe with a .22 rifle but if you have a .45 you need to be extra careful. While the statement holds truth it doesnt matter if you shoot someone. But i still feel that when you have more money in the air you fly alot differently than when you fly your fpv quad.

flytofly

I basically proved out a theory that you can overlap the blades up to 40% with much less performance loss, and it allows for a more compact platform.

Very interesting. I was always curious about prop overlap and will it actually work. Man you'd have a much smaller octo. I may test this soon by simply shortening the booms and rotating every other arm so that 4 motors ae facing upward and 4 are facing ground.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
The ever present problem with motors and props mounted under the boom is reduced camera tilt range. I have been tempted to swing alternate booms through 180°, and have the option of increasing the prop size at the same time, but the Tilt issue bothers me. Even now there is perhaps only 3-4° of upward tilt available to compensate for forward movement. Any more than that and the forward motors come into shot.

DennyR

If you need that much lift then this is the way to go. Skookum robotics will soon have a GPS module or you could use WKH...
Lets see if the WHY entries can be up to this standard of production.... enjoy :tennis:

jes1111

If you need that much lift then this is the way to go. Skookum robotics will soon have a GPS module or you could use WKH...
Lets see if the WHY entries can be up to this standard of production....:tennis:
Well that was a waste of 6:48-worth of my morning ;) - nothing about AP in there! I assume you just meant "single rotor"?