Spotter spotters how important

JLO

View attachment 6089Hi to all today I want to share that I had my first crash...... No no my first landing on top of a tall tall tall tree I was
flying for a job cine star 8 2 axis gimbal at the end of the shot director calls for lower altitude and camera tilt down
suddenly I saw leaves been chopt..... My spoter was in a blind spot did not see the copter at that point in the sky
So lesson learn survey survey your location and make a good spotters plan so all possible obstacles can be observe
by the trusted spotters.... Copter is fine I was lucky it did not fall from the branch
O also locate a local cherry picker just in case

Attachments

• IMAG0758.jpg
    IMAG0758.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 300
Last edited by a moderator:

3dheliguy

That is Hilarious... Awe man, U got to get a guy that will be willing to walk and observe at the same time. Witch means not to lazy, Smelly or otherwise.

Just some words of wisdom.

JLO

Hi an update on my tree landing I was very fortunate, 1 that the copter did not fall from the tree, 2 that the cherry picker verily reach 75 feet up, he had to pull down on the branch cut small branches around and gently lift the copter
crash result 4 chipped props, thats it, calibrated giros and compass, and up it went again
Make a good spotters plan

kloner

Aerial DP
i've put alot of planes in the tree and the cleanest i've got em out is exactly what you did there with the tree service.

good job, alot of people panic and go themselves or start throwing stuff, never comes out good

Efliernz

Pete
I've done jobs where my wife/camera operator/observer was obviously going to be too busy - so the teenage daughter is dragged in as a traffic observer. Usually when flying off sidewalks besides the road. The number of times people have stopped on my landing pad in their cars...
I mark off a pad with orange cones where possible. That is MY area - and is usually respected. Most strangers love watching.

The only hassel I've ever had was in a controlled shoot beside a construction site (but off site) where the construction site manager decided the need for his crane to park over my cones (while I'm hovering a Trex700 cameraship at 50') was more important than my (or his) safety. I ended up yelling at him to get out of my coned safety area! Arrogant self-centred businessmen are the other group that lack patience of anyone getting in their way...

As for operating around traffic - we use traffic "observers". Traffic management (using stop/go or any signalling) or any cones affecting road traffic require a "Traffic mangagement plan" signed off by the city council. Too hard for that stuff which is why we do the observer thing.

Great save with your machine though JLO :D

Pete

View attachment 8061Hi to all today I want to share that I had my first crash...... No no my first landing on top of a tall tall tall tree I was
flying for a job cine star 8 2 axis gimbal at the end of the shot director calls for lower altitude and camera tilt down
suddenly I saw leaves been chopt..... My spoter was in a blind spot did not see the copter at that point in the sky
So lesson learn survey survey your location and make a good spotters plan so all possible obstacles can be observe
by the trusted spotters.... Copter is fine I was lucky it did not fall from the branch
O also locate a local cherry picker just in case

I can imagine the awkward tension between you and your spotter former buddy.....