Hoverfly Max wind you Fly with your Octos

PaNt

It was an estimate from the ground and from the weather channel. When I got higher up I could feel it get stronger.
The ratio of usable footage does go way down in wind like that.
I'm not sure how to advise you.
Assuming you've tried lowering gains and playing with the smoothing function? Flying in manual or AL?

Hmmmm I havent played enough with the gains and props..! Because i heard someone that told me that the gain doesnt change anyhting in wind..!

I always fly manual in wind..!

What do you think about the gain and props??!

All good videos (on yt and vimeo) are in no wind situations..! thats something i think that i dont do something wrong...! but i dont know so thats why i am asking..!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Pant, get rid of your 14" props. what are you lifting. disc loading! give a fly the wings of a condor and it will glide easily but blow on it and it will fall from the sky. If you are taking off with 30-40% throttle its over prop'd. The HFP in manual is about as good as a multi can get. we are only varying speeds of fixed pitch props, you cant expect a single rotors ability to penetrate wind. The guys that show a video of their WOOkong hovering in gps mode in 30mph of wind doesnt do anything for me. Lets see the footage and lets see you do some figure 8's. Single biggest cause for vibes and poor wind handling is being over prop'd. Spin a small prop fast it gets the frequency above a "visible" range. It has less surface area to get caught by the wind and it is weighed down more. If you have an av200 you have a LOT of surface area to catch wind. i do and I dont like that fact about it. I'm not convinced the octo does any worse in wind than an X8. They both have arguable adv. and dis adv.

I dont know your camera/gimbal but if you are lifting anything under a dslr, try 12" or 11" APC. Graupner 11's dont have anywhere the surface area of the APC's but if you can get away with them they are the best prop next to the Xoars. I know a lot of guys are flying the APC 14's on the tiger 2814's on 4s but I still think that's way too much prop for that motor. I could barely touch my motors when I went from 12's to 14's. But that's just me. Hope this helps.

PaNt

Pant, get rid of your 14" props. what are you lifting. disc loading! give a fly the wings of a condor and it will glide easily but blow on it and it will fall from the sky. If you are taking off with 30-40% throttle its over prop'd. The HFP in manual is about as good as a multi can get. we are only varying speeds of fixed pitch props, you cant expect a single rotors ability to penetrate wind. The guys that show a video of their WOOkong hovering in gps mode in 30mph of wind doesnt do anything for me. Lets see the footage and lets see you do some figure 8's. Single biggest cause for vibes and poor wind handling is being over prop'd. Spin a small prop fast it gets the frequency above a "visible" range. It has less surface area to get caught by the wind and it is weighed down more. If you have an av200 you have a LOT of surface area to catch wind. i do and I dont like that fact about it. I'm not convinced the octo does any worse in wind than an X8. They both have arguable adv. and dis adv.

I dont know your camera/gimbal but if you are lifting anything under a dslr, try 12" or 11" APC. Graupner 11's dont have anywhere the surface area of the APC's but if you can get away with them they are the best prop next to the Xoars. I know a lot of guys are flying the APC 14's on the tiger 2814's on 4s but I still think that's way too much prop for that motor. I could barely touch my motors when I went from 12's to 14's. But that's just me. Hope this helps.

I have PS1 gimbal!!! and a dslr..!

I use the Tiger motors and after flight they are at 50C-60C not more..! :) :)

My overallweight is 6800 with 2x8000mah lipo..!

I might buy the cx760 so my weight will be 6200..! but i can put one 8000mah lipo so i will be on 5400gr..!

My throttle with 14-4.7 is 50% exactly on hover..! :(
I can use 11 and 12 prop.. :( :( ??? i dont think so..!

I know my winds really well and I would say above 15 and you just have to push forward too much to get any useable footage. With the Hoverfly Pro i can avoid the wobbles that DJI had but still a fight. 10mph is max for pro results. On my X8i can handle about 20 but again, not useable buttery smooth footage.

I second that. Well put, Yuri.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

your training is almost complete grasshopper.

I know how to subscribe to a thread, but how can I subscribe to a User's posts :) . I want everything you type, to be forwarded directly to my email hehehehe Seriously though, you post info, and perspectives that is useful for the everyone, from beginners to all out veterans. Awesome Advise/explanation, and a great contribution of Valuable information. You keep posting, and I will keep reading.

Patrick

kloner

Aerial DP
he likes to be the class clown, but he really does "get it"

i wanna go get drunk with the guy and see what that's like

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast

Attachments

• inbenwetrust.jpg
    inbenwetrust.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 192

sim_io

I've flown in 15mph/20mph gusts with the wkm cs8, sometimes I quickly switch from gps to atti mode to see how the wind makes it drift.

A few weeks ago I was flying in a river canyon where a dam is being removed and the winds were a steady 20mph with higher gusts. The strange thing is when you left the canyon the winds were light and variable. All I could guess was that cold air from the snow capped mountains flowed down the canyon and produced locally strong winds. I figured it would be next to worthless footage but we were there and the light was gorgeous so we tried a few runs. This was with a CS8 and 5DM3 w/ 24mm prime on a 3 axis gimbal. I've never flown anything in conditions like that before. It was crazy and a little terrifying. Flying downstream was smooth and fast but trying to get back home I had that sucker at 20° and it would just crawl along and got buffeted like a mofo. It was true work. Most of the footage was not useable but we did get a few nice moments we were able to salvage.

In general I'd say flying in anything zero to five is perfect and five to ten is good to okay. Ten to fifteen gets dicey and over fifteen all bets are off. :D

nick

PaNt

Guys a friend told me that he did his octo to a X8 and it is a lot better on wind situations....!
What do you think?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It has been said many times that coaxial setups do better in wind. but I dont really know how much better as i have seen some flat octos flying in high winds, like Seattle Helo just said. Bart flew his X8 in 35mph next to a calibrated wind sock. The video wasnt that bad either. He was on MK and is using his own gimbal design which seems to kick ***.

PaNt

It has been said many times that coaxial setups do better in wind. but I dont really know how much better as i have seen some flat octos flying in high winds, like Seattle Helo just said. Bart flew his X8 in 35mph next to a calibrated wind sock. The video wasnt that bad either. He was on MK and is using his own gimbal design which seems to kick ***.

I am w8ing to hear some more opinions..! Also what about the down props..>! there wont be problem with the cam?? they will be on cam..!

Also i have to put CW up and ccw down..! THe down props must go upside down right??

...what about the down props..>! there wont be problem with the cam?? they will be on cam..!...

It is a consideration for sure. If you have a separate operator with a 360° gimbal you'll have less top clearance before getting a prop/motor in the shot.

nick

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
UNLESS you have one of Bart's XY8's. Which is what I have. You get the best of all worlds. Compact, easier to identify orientation in air, no props in forward view, better in wind, good redundancy....

Chime in here Bart?>

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i hate when i post thinking there's one page then i see that there are four and i missed most of the conversation before chiming in.

thanks for the plug Yuri. you can see in the video where I tilted the camera up to look up for the hawk that was coming in to check me out. that was a fun day.

bart

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
I've never flown a flat octo, but I have flown a hex and our X-8 handles wind much better than the hex.