Hoverfly Max wind you Fly with your Octos

workshop

It is a hard question to answer... Nobody I know brings an anemometer to the field.

I fly my Y6 when it is kinda to sort of windy but not when it's super breezy or really windy.

Jeff

Efliernz

Pete
I'm still trying to tame my mount... I shoot stills with the Octo (with a camera operator) in 25mph. Solo, 10mph.

Video - any wind over 8-10mph bounces the machine around and it is reflected in the quality of the video.

Pete

PaNt

Yeap but i think you know how many bofourt is everyday..! I cannot have a good result after 4 bofourt.. thats why i am asking..!

Am i doing something wrong??

Do you change your gain on Windy days?? or what?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
It is a hard question to answer... Nobody I know brings an anemometer to the field.

I fly my Y6 when it is kinda to sort of windy but not when it's super breezy or really windy.

Jeff

I always carry an anemometer but normally I know if its to windy. I have had quite good results in winds gusting 15/20mph. anything over that and it starts getting a hand full and video is just not good enough. For pictures though its no problem with my DroidWorx ADX3's both standard and HL versions.

I have different setting for different cameras in different conditions which I adjust when necessary to get the best out of the MR

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

PaNt

I always carry an anemometer but normally I know if its to windy. I have had quite good results in winds gusting 15/20mph. anything over that and it starts getting a hand full and video is just not good enough. For pictures though its no problem with my DroidWorx ADX3's both standard and HL versions.

I have different setting for different cameras in different conditions which I adjust when necessary to get the best out of the MR

Dave

Hmm nice..1 The gains on no wind condition and on 15-20mph winds are the same??? whats your gain on setup client?? I know its different but i am just asking..! :)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I know my winds really well and I would say above 15 and you just have to push forward too much to get any useable footage. With the Hoverfly Pro i can avoid the wobbles that DJI had but still a fight. 10mph is max for pro results. On my X8i can handle about 20 but again, not useable buttery smooth footage.

3dheliguy

The wobbles DJI has is usually in your Attitude mode is this correct I'm just trying to figure this wobble thing out. I fly my quad 15-20 in manual mode at doest even seem to feel it, and it tracks better than my big helis. I'm just curious witch mode your in?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
DJI doesnt like winds. MK was the best in winds. Hoverfly in manual is pretty damn good in wind and the auto level is greatly improved in wind.

3dheliguy

What mode didn't it like the wind? I know gps for the wookong is the best bar none. Manual mode is well manual mode... But Attitude mode is well I think DJI miss step. So I'm assuming attitude sucked. But was manual mode bad to?

PaNt

I know my winds really well and I would say above 15 and you just have to push forward too much to get any useable footage. With the Hoverfly Pro i can avoid the wobbles that DJI had but still a fight. 10mph is max for pro results. On my X8i can handle about 20 but again, not useable buttery smooth footage.

I dont have vibes..! But i cannot have a smooth stable flight..! :)

PaNt

Guys can you help to tell what is wrong with my platform and winds???! i cannot do nice shoots with more than 10km/h...!

Might there e something wrong??

If i put smaller props will it be better?? from 14-4.7 to 13-6.5???

THank you!

yeehaanow

I was in some gusty 20 mph the other day with the hex. It was easy to go forward, just let it go! But coming back was a bit more work. Got some usable results, but they will definitely need more post stab than most shots.

I was thinking the other day... since it is possible to make a craft oscillate by turning the gains way up, and it's a pretty high frequency from what I've seen, IN THEORY, shouldn't it be possible to smooth out nearly all the bumps from wind or otherwise? The motors can seemingly control it quite fast. All down to the algorithm I guess.

Pant- You'll have to provide more info on your platform.

PaNt

I was in some gusty 20 mph the other day with the hex. It was easy to go forward, just let it go! But coming back was a bit more work. Got some usable results, but they will definitely need more post stab than most shots.

I was thinking the other day... since it is possible to make a craft oscillate by turning the gains way up, and it's a pretty high frequency from what I've seen, IN THEORY, shouldn't it be possible to smooth out nearly all the bumps from wind or otherwise? The motors can seemingly control it quite fast. All down to the algorithm I guess.

Pant- You'll have to provide more info on your platform.

20mph?? Or i have something wrong to my machine or i dont know how to measure the wind :) :)

My platform is CS 8 with HFP and tiger motors..! also i have 14-4.7 props..!

yeehaanow

It was an estimate from the ground and from the weather channel. When I got higher up I could feel it get stronger.
The ratio of usable footage does go way down in wind like that.
I'm not sure how to advise you.
Assuming you've tried lowering gains and playing with the smoothing function? Flying in manual or AL?

Perfect answer