XAircraft First FPV flight with goggles

Tomstoy2

So, here it is, my first ever FPV flight under the goggles using the XA/Hexa. WKM with 5.10 firmware, Tiger mt2216-900kv motors and mt30a esc's, 5.8ghz 200mw Foxtech vtx, AIO Goggles, RMRC-700xv 700vtl (ntsc) camera.

Distance estimated 1/3rd mile!

Fiying an estimated 3/4 throttle to and back, motors and esc's come down at 102 degree's F plus or minus 5 degree's, nice and cool.

Now, I had done a flight using the monitor before, over the lake, and the monitor flight went off perfect, great color and detail.

However, under the gogglesI only had black and white transmission!
This was disconcerting at first but I got over it easily and continued to fly.
I had a hand full of great sucessful color flights using my 500mw vtx, but damaged that in my last wreck with my F450.
Only thing I can figure is the power isn't enough.

Now, my Futaba T8fg transmitter should reach out about a mile. So, to get my color back it just sounds easier to increase the vtx strength, since I never had an issue with the F450.
However, I'm on the fence now about changing out my FPV system to something like 1.3ghz instead.
I would loose some definition, but it is ntsc, after all. The ability to burn thru objects and do low level flights at range is a big plus, though.
My buddy Bill pointed out that with the increase in range I an experimenting with now, ( each flight I'm pushing it further ), I will soon become bored at the range I am currently flying now.
I just haven't currently found the edge where my vtx will drop out with these cloverleaf antenna's I'm using.
Really, I'm totally blown away at the range I'm getting on such a small powered 5.8 vtx!.5.8 eats a lot more power to transmit the farther you go out and needs a clean line of sight, which isn't much of a problem now, but I see his point.

On the 850mah and 2000mah battery consumptions side. I figure everything was powered up for close to an hour. I did a total of 5 flights and only put back 101 mah's on both batterys, more than enough power to do a hell of a lot of flights.

Power consumption on the Hexa, I can easlity fly 8 minutes putting back 4000mah into a 4s 5000mah battery.
I'm planning on putting two of these in series soom. I figure I can then get aproximately 13 minutes and still not exceed the lifting capacity.
If I do, I can try steping up to 9 inch prop's instead of these cheap as sin Gaui 8 inch prop's I'm using which work perfectly in my estimation.

So, the flight review,,, finally!
Other than the color issue, it went off without a hitch.
I kept increasing altitude as I went out and guessed I was aproximately 400 feet in altitude, though Bill argues it was higher.
Anyway, in the vid you will see I was a hell of a lot higher than a hawk circling around. Kind of glad he didn't take exception.
Again, it was easy to do, kind of relaxing, really.
Should have gone lower over the lake to test vtx transmission at low level at range. Hind- sight.

The GoPro, however, I had issues with. Totally my fault.
After my 3rd recorded flight of the day, I turned off the recording, but forgot to turn off the camera, as the Bronco game was comming on soon. By half time the GoPro was dead so I didn't record the last 3 flights.
Kind of pissed off at myself, it's the second time I have had the battery go down on me. Both my fault. Plus, the last 3 flight were kind of fun.
One I flew over the house behind Bill's and to the south. Another I visited the neighbor to the north. Could have had a great vid of the donkey's having sex, too! Dale would have loved that!

On one flight it I even did the first test with failsafe! Now that was exciting! I was, once again in a tight spot, a chicken coop, propane thank, trees, shed, and fences surrounded me. It worked great, up to a point.
I had stuck my head up ,y ***, again, and took off before gps was locked. I did lock it in hover above me, and figured that was good enough.
I took it out past the back property fence, about 100 feet up, activated rth and everything worked as advertised.
All the time I held the tx at my side.
Eventually, it tried to lower altitude and land but as I was worried it would end up clipping a tree behind me I flipped out of failsafe, flipped out gps back into attitude control and back into gps to disengage failsafe and take back contool.
Worked perfectly!

In all, it was a supurb experience. I absolutley had the time of my life!

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up2YQC7HVi8&feature=player_detailpage

kloner

Aerial DP
that's awesome! keep going at it a little lower each time, before you know it the deck will be your friend. That area right there will work 5.8 for quite a while. I was getting down to 5 feet ish at 1/2 mile kinda behind stuff from time to time, nothing thick and never had a full blown blackout. it'd scramble from time to time, that 5.8 flash snow. i've crashed 1/2 mile out before and had reception to the dirt than after crashing reception came back. Watching the tapes the heli was upside down bouncing when it went away

Regarding the black and white picture. Not suppose to be. what camera is it? no matter if it was 25mw, it'd be color. if this ia fpv type cam with osd, you should reset the cameras setting to stock and try again. if gopro, you got something else going on

Tomstoy2

Not sure why it was happening? It's a rmrc-700xv 700vtl camera. As I said the monitor was in color, so it has something to do with the goggles. Occasionally, it would pop into color for a second or two the go b&w again. Going to have to look at my goggle settings again, or perhaps it's as simple as switching to a different channel. It worked before just fine with the 500mw, but this was the first test with the goggles and the 200mw vtx. Figures something wasn't going to go right.

kloner

Aerial DP
try that, try wiggling the wires around on the cam to vtx, theres something loose or not making a good connection

you might still try resetting the camera to defaults, might have changed something in there or it might have reset depending what if anything grounded out while changing the parts over. might go over the cams osd and just make sure it's on the recomended settings, think it's on there site

Tomstoy2

Just checked it. I remembered when I set up the 500mw vtx I ended up on a different channel, so I changed vtx channel and got color back on the monitor. Now I'll have to do that with the monitor reciever, also.
Could have and should have done that at the field, but standing out in 92 degree F. heat and several wasp nests near by, ( that we tried to kill off but only pissed off the drones returning ), and couple that with the Bronco game, a few beers,,, well, you get the idea.

Thanks for your input! This stuff is addicting as can be, just can't get enough!!!