Naza & DJI Flame Wheel 550 problem

Hi Guys, I recently got into the quads thing and started with a Flame Wheel 450 and Naza setup. I have a background in large RC Helis' so quite a bit of knowledge in RC hobby, but new to quads. I had been flying the 450 quad for a month or so and everything great. I then just decided to move up to Flame Wheel 550 and move existing Naza controller over from the 450 to the 550. So I built the 550 and re-installed the Naza - reconfigured the Naza of course for 550 and also added the GPS unit now. I did not see any problems on anything during my build of the 550 and set-up of Naza. Now when I attepmt to hover the 550 it will lift off and then begins to rotate and wobble around. I rechecked everything - motors turing right direction, props on in right orientations to match spin of motors, all motors plugged into proper slots in Naza, and Naza in center of CG and facing forward, and hard amounted with gray tape, and GPS set up as to it's relation to CG. I thought at first maybe something in GPS was causing this, but don't think so now. Also, when I spin up motors a bit but well prior to lifting off speed, I can see motors 2, 3, 4 are spinning faster then the motors 1, 3, 5 - and in my mind this might account for spinning of the quad. Does anyone have a good idea what I have gone wrong here? Is this possibly an esc calibration problem (These are the stock DJI ecs's and should not need calibration). Thanks in advance for your help!

No, GPS compass not calibrated yet - however, I was just attempting hover inside and GPS could never lock in - and mode was set to atti mode - so my thinking was this would rule out gps calibration as the problem. Am I wrong on that?

kloner

Aerial DP
you can't half way put this in and expect it to work. Gotta put it all in and do everything that it needs prior to attempting to even turn it on and set it down, gotta make sure the + and - are marked right where your dimension setup is in assistant or you get what your describing every time, then you gotta calibrate it every time you change anything on the craft that may make the magnetic north change meaning diff motor, antenna or even just moving antenna, then you want to follow the post on here about calibrating it, cause the manual sucks at explaining everything

trust me coming form the same background, no matter your experience, your gonna keep learning new stuff every day

Hi Kloner, well understood your comments and I agree on those. Having said that, I have successfully done the compass calibration now, and in dimension setup of the GPS I have noted the + - thing and verified I have those correct - since I am in right front x=posi - y=posi - and z=neg. I even went in a set up from new in my radio - did the rebind and redid all of the settings in the radio, and then tried to hover again and exact same result. So, it leaves me wondering should just tear it all way down, and put it back together being double careful on each and every thing.

kloner

Aerial DP
do you have a cam you can put on it so we can hear it do it?

your describing toilet bowl if i understand right. positive on motor spin direction?per naza manual

do you hear a motor making more noise than others?

are you positive all the trim, sub trim are neutral or inh?

just trying to think of basics that would have to do with this

when you did the calibration, did you point it nose up for the second half of the calibration?

DesJardins

"Nose up" for the vertical calibration?
The image depicts you simply tilt on the vertical axis props to the left as your turning to the right.

My understading is that if you start nose point straight out "away from you" it should stay like that in both horizontal and vertical calibrations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for that pointer - I will recal the GPS as you suggest. By the way... I have torn down and put back together and just now hovered without GPS plugged inn and it hovers beautifully now - so I am putting GPS back and calibrating etc and will attempt hover again after that and report back. Fingers crossed ;p

Well... it is flying perfectly now with GPS installed and calibrated they way you suggested DesJardins - thanks to you and Kloner for your inputs. I am guessing now some connection at Naza unit or rx just was not right, and by pulling everything out and plugging back in it was fixed! Now, onto the fun!

DesJardins

Well... it is flying perfectly now with GPS installed and calibrated they way you suggested DesJardins - thanks to you and Kloner for your inputs. I am guessing now some connection at Naza unit or rx just was not right, and by pulling everything out and plugging back in it was fixed! Now, onto the fun!

Awesome!

kloner

Aerial DP
that is

yes, i think it was robert at uav products or somebody put a post in here somewhere about how to do it, and it was spin it around till green then nose up and spin till finished. i didn't know, but did it and mine worked. Before that i was getting a mild toilet bowl look.

DesJardins

that is

yes, i think it was robert at uav products or somebody put a post in here somewhere about how to do it, and it was spin it around till green then nose up and spin till finished. i didn't know, but did it and mine worked. Before that i was getting a mild toilet bowl look.

Hmmmm, wonder if Robert could chime in on flipping it nose up for the vertical calibration as that's pretty different since the manual doesn't state to make sure on the vertical rotation that the nose is pointing up vs. out like the horizontal

Last edited by a moderator: