Gimbal Jitters.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I find my gimbal far more jittery with Naza than it was with XA FC1212S/ AHRS. What I find is that with the gains set sufficient to maintain a level horizon and fixed attitude in tilt, then it performs awful. the only way I can get it anywhere near steady which it isnt is with the gains dialled right down, this way it just takes the edge off any unwanted motion of the MR, more damping than stabilizing. I have savox hi speed hi res servo's as well.
That's not comforting. How low is low gains?

Are you happy with the 3156? i've got one for the roll and hitec 65mg for tilt and the last one got some jittering, even with a 6v BEC....so i've just order another 3156..
i hope it will be fine...

Animau...

Sorry for the delay in answering. Im afraid I missed your question the first time through.

Yes, I have had no complaints using the 3156 servos. I use them on both pitch and roll and have never experienced any of the jitter that others report.

I did read someplace where someone reported that his fpv gear seemed to be causing his jitters. Said when he powered the fpv down the jitters disappeared.

....sT

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I think I can see what's happening.

When I apply 6v with my BEC to the Spektrum 3010s I get serious jitters, like back and forth kind of stuff. However when I was just using the power from the Naza it's self I may not of had jitters. The vibrations I saw might have been individual tooth movements from the gears.

With 6V serious jitters.
Without 6V kind of vibrations.
When camera is hard mounted no vibrations in video, very smooth.

So, I'm looking for the smoothest sub micro servos possible, ones that just roll smooth.

kloner

Aerial DP
in general, jr servos especially metal gear ones develop slop, fast. when the teeth get sloppy, the pot constantly tries to center it and being fast, it'll flutter finding neutral. alot of guys here seem to like the savox line for gimbles. i've used and another gimble guy is going with the hobbyking/mks 747hv line. but none of those are small. Why do you need sub micro? is that 500 heli size, i think hitec 5245mg size??

animau

Animau...

Sorry for the delay in answering. Im afraid I missed your question the first time through.

Yes, I have had no complaints using the 3156 servos. I use them on both pitch and roll and have never experienced any of the jitter that others report.

I did read someplace where someone reported that his fpv gear seemed to be causing his jitters. Said when he powered the fpv down the jitters disappeared.

....sT

tks simon!
I'm waiting for my second 3156 to put on the tilt. Hope it will work for me to!

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
in general, jr servos especially metal gear ones develop slop, fast. when the teeth get sloppy, the pot constantly tries to center it and being fast, it'll flutter finding neutral. alot of guys here seem to like the savox line for gimbles. i've used and another gimble guy is going with the hobbyking/mks 747hv line. but none of those are small. Why do you need sub micro? is that 500 heli size, i think hitec 5245mg size??
Hi again kloner,

I need to use the sub-micro size servo as this is the only size that will fit my gimbal. I'm using this gimbal from quadframe. Presently I have the Spektrum 3010s, a sub micro digital servo, I choose the spektrum because I heard that Savox makes them and they are basically the same servo.
Problem, prior to the 6v BEC I was getting slight vibration from the servos that showed up in video, something like a jitter or gear tooth vibration. After I use the 6V Bec I got large back and forth jitter on the Roll Axis. When I don't use the gimal there are no vibrations in the video at all. I was very careful to balance the motors and props. I'm using the Naza and my gimbal gains were set to 20.

GGv2_LL_01.jpg

kloner

Aerial DP
gotcha, that size servo doesn't leave a ton of choices. one of the more known for reliability and smoothness is the mighty feather hs-65 mg. but none of em come in crazy high resolution, super smooth types. Align 410's are horribly unreliable. jr has that 309 or something like that, used to be pretty smooth running as cyclics in 450's....... don't remember if they flutter like these 8417 i just tried, looked like this

yours like that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
don't remember if they flutter like these 8417 i just tried, looked like this

yours like that?

Ya, that video of yours looks pretty similar to my issue. I was hopping that bumping up the voltage with the BEC would have helped.
I've read a fare bit about the HS65MGs but I was wondering if there is something smoother and better in that size.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I shot this using the same Jakub gimbal as you are using . I have detailed what servo etc I have used in replies to questions in the video comments.

https://vimeo.com/44480213

That's not too bad. So you are using the SH 0255mg digital servos eh. There is a little bounce, is that coming from the Hex or the gimbal? PS. what are you using under the cam for vib isolation? PSS. Are your servos plugged into your board directly? or are you using a bec? I was looking at the Hoverfly, but I'm using the Naza. Have you tried the Naza?

Stacky

I have some moon gel like stuff I bought at a local $2 shop. Moon gel is available online, it works well. I still havent worked out what that bounce is, I think its just a function of direct drive servo links etc and a little bit of breeze. I have a belt drive gimbal which had that bounce/jitter and when i upgraded a servo to a bigger stronger one the bounce/jitter went away so i know its gimbal related and not FC related. I also wonder if the gimbal is affected by the wind or prop wash and its lack of mass at the camera plate has an impact on its ability to handled bumpy breeze etc. Im still trying to understand how all this works in real life situations.

animau

Ya, that video of yours looks pretty similar to my issue. I was hopping that bumping up the voltage with the BEC would have helped.
I've read a fare bit about the HS65MGs but I was wondering if there is something smoother and better in that size.

Well i have the 65mg on my tilt gimbal and it a no go for me...better than a align one but much worst than my 3156 futaba on my roll...
I,m waiting for my 3156 to repalce the 65mg...
And i'm using a 6v BEC

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
That's good to know cause I was thinking about the 65s. I've heard good things about the HYPERION DS11-SCB. The creator of the gimbal tested the gimbal using these and spoke fondly of them.

Stacky

Jakub is a good guy and he does have some nice footage of the gimbal working, I will be interested to hear how the other servos work in this gimbal.

Fransvh

Hi, I am working on my setup, the F550 Naza/GPS Arexcraft/Hero2 flies well. Need to do some more testing/adjustment/experience with the gains.
I have some footage and like some opinions on that cause I can't loose the jitter.
The Hero2 is mounted on the AeroXcraft, naza for stabilising. I use Savox servo's SH-0264MG.
On the servo of the roll there is some margin in the gearing of .5 mm. That results in 3mm of travel on the cameramount. Pitch seems to do better.
Props are DJI 10" balanced (badly needed, still not perfect)
Weather conditions - no wind
http://youtu.be/OUqpMcwlh3Q

Also I can't find out how fare the ball-link needs to be mounted from the centre of the arm. I mounted the ball-link on the most outer hole, but that didn't work. Now I am using the centre hole. Less travel but it seems to respond faster.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Hi, I am working on my setup, the F550 Naza/GPS Arexcraft/Hero2 flies well. Need to do some more testing/adjustment/experience with the gains.
http://youtu.be/OUqpMcwlh3Q
My guess is the vibrations are coming from your aircraft. Also looks like your gimbal is trying to find it centre. However, that being said, it's looking better than what's coming from my gimbal servos. Back to the balancing of the aircraft. Did you balance your motors and props? I like to use the laser pointer and mirror thing to balance my motors. For my props I like to use the Top Flight Power Point Balancer modified to fit the Great Planes Fingertip Prop Balancer. The the Top Flight one by itself sucks but finger tip one is great when combined with the Top Flight. This alone is awesome!

As far as your gimbal. I'm struggling with this also. :( However, what I can tell you is you should try and get your Ball Link as close to the servo spline as possible while still maintaining enough movement and the other end of the ball link as far as you can from the gimbal's axis of rotation. This means the servo has to travel longer and farther than the gimbal does. I am personally trying to brain storm how to add gears. Apart from that, I'll tell you what I've been told. If you can use bigger servos do so. If not, try upping the voltage to 6V with a BEC and try and do some dampening with ear plugs or moon gel. All I can tell you, is this is frustrating.

Fransvh

Thanks for your reply Explorocam, that's very useful.

Never thought about balancing the motors, maybe that's to obvious... Will check it soon, on my Gaui 500x (that falls from the sky with a load) I checked for unbalance of the craft with iSeisomometer on the iPhone. There was some rumble in the craft but that was reduced using a sponge between the craft and the camera-mount.

I have a Du-bro balancer and balanced the 10" stock props of the F550 as good as I could, the hub seems to be off centre. I am thinking of switching to the 10" Graupners and hope to have a better result.

My biggest concern is the movement of the camera-mount. There is a margin in the gears of the servos that result in a wobble of 3mm on the mount on the roll. There is some margin on the pitch, but not so big. I think the prop-wash moves the mount on the roll axis.

I damped the movement of the craft I now use ammo of a nerf gun (these are kind of arrow of foam) between craft and mount.
Next experiment will be with a piece of sponge between the craft and mount. That worked good on the Gaui.
Might also try to find the moon gel.

Also I think of the use of the by AeroXcraft recommend Futaba S3156MG servos and Align Servo Horn Set HSP41003T. These servos have more torque on 5v than the Savox (Futaba 28 oz-in Savox 11.1 oz-in)

All I can tell you, is this is frustrating.
No I don't think so, it's a steep learning curve :nevreness:.

upd00: Did some stabilising in After Effects, that didn't work on the jello effect.
upd01: Have just ordered the Graupners, hope to have better results.
upd02: Have also ordered the recommended Futaba S3156 servos and Align servo arm.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Success!!!!:nevreness::livid:
I used the savox SH 0255mg digital servos and the vibration is gone and the camera is fairly stable. I know the Naza camera control is not the best and doesn't quit keep up but what I get is pretty good. No vibrations, that's the main thing.