gimbal help please

Tomstoy2

Here's the set up.

X/A Hexa
WKM with 5.10
mt2216-900kv & mt30a esc's
GoPro Hero2
mc6500pro with DCS2600 digital servo's

Props and motors are all perfectly balanced.

First the pic's of the set up, (below)

As you can see, I just have the gimbal mounted on top of foam on the load rails, secured by rubber bands.'
I should recieve another 4 load rail mounts and grommets tomorrow. I was thinking of removing the foam and installing these in the foam's place, put some Zeal tape on top and place the gimbal mount on top of that, hoping to eliminate some of the shakes.

In assistant, travel on both pitch and roll are at max, no binding.
Pitch gain is set at 35 and roll at 65.

View attachment 5498View attachment 5499View attachment 5500

To keep the vid from overlapping the pic's I will upload in a moment.

Attachments

• P8020007.jpg
    P8020007.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 268
  • P8020008.jpg
    P8020008.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 257
  • P8020009.jpg
    P8020009.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited by a moderator:

Tomstoy2

Here is a short vid showing forward, reverse, roll turns and flat turns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8tvx_vDiaE&feature=player_detailpage

I need to re-center both roll and tilt, I know. I had made some position changes to the ball link positions and did not re-level, so keep that in mind.

The pitch and roll is the best I have been able to get it.
Would like to know how to get this set up better, either mechanically or in software.

At about 38sec you will see some violent movement, where I toss the stick hard left or right, forward and back, for two reasons. One to just see how wekk the fc gains were working and,
two, to see how the gimbal responds to violent movement.

Normally, when I shoot I will add a piece of Scotch tape from the back of the camera tray to the top of the housing to help with the shakes.
Thinking of just removing the housing and installing a FPVLab lens protector, to see if this will help eliminate more shakes induced by all that housing weight.

Last edited by a moderator:

From my experience, start much lower...maybe around 15 for each and work your way up. Never had much or any success with anything above 50. In your specific case, use your Xaircraft FC for gimbal only :) Much better option until DJI fixes their gimbal code better.

Tomstoy2

Thanks, OSS. Makes sense to take it lower, as pitch isn't so bad, but roll kind of sucks. Appreciate it.
Never bought the X/A fc, just their frame.
Got the weekend off, so will be dialing it in closer.

Tomstoy2

Ok, made some changes, especially to roll. Moved the ball link on the roll servo arm to the inside hole and dropped both pitch and roll gains to 20.

Pitch I can live with, but a you can see roll still pulls too much.
No too sure how to correct this? My mind is telling me to limit my throw, as it is still at max in both directions, but not too sure if this is really what I want to do?

Haven't changed the mount of the gimbal to the load rails yet, as I described above. Figured to get this damn roll issue worked out first.

To me, it seems like the roll gains are close, but it's just pulling too much.

Take a look and let me know what you think I need to do from here, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ktA4sPvimo&feature=player_detailpage

Try roll at around 35. That seems to be the sweet spot for me. You may also want to take down your ATTI by another 10-20 as it seems to snap a tad too much for video. What's your atti at now?

Tomstoy2

Thanks OSS. I did a test at 35. Then did the one above, which seemed to smooth it out even more.
Att is, if memory serves me right, about 155.

I'll try your suggestion next.
What kills me, as you can see in the vid, no matter left or right roll over compensates. If I could just get the roll to react like I have the pitch reacting I would be a happy camper.

The first xaircraft hexa I built I had tuned absolutely perfect but for some reason video sucked because of roll. Since then I found out that an ever so slightly sluggish ATTI gains corrected the push vs pull of the roll axis. Right now my ATTI is at 115 and it's helped out me roll big time (was at 140 till this mornings testing).

Tomstoy2

Hmmm, tried lowering att roll gain to 115 and tried again. Guess it may be a little better,,, however, fc now feels sluggish in response, and winds are pretty calm.

Think I'll go back up on the att roll gain. We do get a lot of wind here. Just may have to leave it as it is and just keep turns flat. Kind of a bummer, but I'm jst not willing to trade flight performance for gimbal.

Maks me wonder how well others are getting along with gimbal control on 5.12a?
Would really be nice if DJI would concentrate more on gimbal control. Can't ***** much about the flight performance end of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxLVoZypfAU&feature=player_detailpage

Wish I could help more but I don't think there's alot anyone can do till DJI writes some better coding for gimbal. Did you change to 400 mhz? Out of suggestions bud :upset:

Tomstoy2

No,'m still on 5.10. Kind of figured as much. Can't fault DJI for focusing on the fc end first. Their record for updates is outstanding, in my opinion. Considering how many they have had the past near year.
I also have an fy91q, and all we have received is a middle finger from them.

Seems like if I want to cure the issue I will have to look at a separate gimbal controller. At $300 to $400 though, it just doesn't seem worth the expense for a $100 gimbal!
Upgrading to another gimbal is on the list, but other things require my attention first.

I really do appreciate your help, though. Thank you. Clear sky's and fair winds to you!