How steady should a NAZA without GPS be? New NAZA

mpilot

After my first NAZA was horribly moving to the left and backwards and not holding altitude my replacement is better but its still not a solid hover.

I still have to correct the hover and it continues to twist (yaw/ correct with rudder) to the right. I certainly can't put down the Tx and walk up to it like the videos on youtube I've seen. So how stable should it be, should I be able to adjust it and get it to hover with altitude lock and not keep correcting it?

Marshyman

Hi mPilot
That was just the question I was going to ask.
Firstly though, thanks Droider and especially Geoff for the warm welcome, advice and assistance in getting me off the ground. Geoff was excellent in supplying me all things and was readily available to give me advice and checking my build (i.e. Which rotors go where and direction the Naza needs to sit so you have a Front orientation).
Starting with 450 NAZA setup.

I have to do hands on control with gentle tweaks to maintain position. I do have to adjust the TX positions tabs as well but she will not sit still.
So is it affected by wind, thats atmospheric not me, albeit very very slight?.
Does battery power and c rating make a difference?

Cheers
MM

A

Marshyman

She flys fine, its the conifers tress that don't get out of the way that quick.

She is stable but should she, if setup correctly, just hover stationary

P

kloner

Aerial DP
kind of, but it doesn't happen cause you opened a box and built it. takes alot of love, no wind, etc. Your gonna want to learn to hold it steady with your eyes/hands. if you have to have it lock in one spot, get the gps, is why they offer it.

if it has a constant drift can be alot of things from vibrations, cheap props, air bubbles in the gyro tape, crashed parts and one of the more common, balanced cg

mpilot

My issue really is the twist to the right when hovering, I have to correct with the left stick (rudder), if I could solve this I'd be much happier. Cant work out what I have to do to stop it though.

kloner

Aerial DP
turn up the rudder gain.

Try all your gains on the top row 125

Try the Bottom row 85

see how it flies. if you got a camera, use it and show us what it's doing. IF you got a crappy prop issue out of balance or a crashed motor, you can usually feel more heat in one than the others and that'll do it. Things to look for

BerndM

I think that the ONLY way to determine what your quad is doing is to do the hover test INDOORS and at least 8-10 feet high to minimize ground turbulence!!
ANY wind, even just 1 mph will affect the quad, so even a tiny fluctuation in windspeed and/or direction will cause the quad to rise/sink/rotate accordingly.
I have hovered mine inside a warehouse with absolute zero wind and I watched it for about 30 seconds and it was like it was planted. But then I needed to input some small corrections as the wash from the prop blast hitting the ground circled up to the quad.
If it hovers OK inside inside, then what you're dealing with MIGHT simply be wind related.

i got my naza dialed to hover like a champ but when i would fly it was wobbly and wagged... ive decided not to concern myself so much with the hovering state and dialed it to fly smoothly, both will have slightly different gains but even 10 points can make a big difference

kyle925

I had the same exact questions when I first got my naza minus the gps. It would hover but drift. Even indoors it would do it. And then came the GPS addition, and it wiped out all my drifting problem.

DennyR

My issue really is the twist to the right when hovering, I have to correct with the left stick (rudder), if I could solve this I'd be much happier. Cant work out what I have to do to stop it though.

Maybe it is as simple as applying some right trim. center the rudder trim so that it starts to move the same to the left as the right. This could be the result of a bad stick calibration. Or a bad prop.

mpilot

I think that the ONLY way to determine what your quad is doing is to do the hover test INDOORS and at least 8-10 feet high to minimize ground turbulence!!
ANY wind, even just 1 mph will affect the quad, so even a tiny fluctuation in windspeed and/or direction will cause the quad to rise/sink/rotate accordingly.
I have hovered mine inside a warehouse with absolute zero wind and I watched it for about 30 seconds and it was like it was planted. But then I needed to input some small corrections as the wash from the prop blast hitting the ground circled up to the quad.
If it hovers OK inside inside, then what you're dealing with MIGHT simply be wind related.

Another great suggestion. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: