Impressions after first shoot with S800 and Z15 w/ NEX5n

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Damn it Loren! You and your super smooth video are really messing with my build momentum. Do I trade in all the toys for a z15 or do I keep the ability to fly a dslr? Tough call when you set the bar so high. Does the zenmuse require the woochang? I'm thinking it would be perfect for my y6.

DennyR

The Z15 does require having a WKM as it accesses the FC IMU but that does not mean that you have to use the WKM as a FC i.e. you could still use your Hoverfly board. If that is what turns you on.

If you want to build the best then take a Z15 and put it on the front of a TDI helicopter and use the helis conventional flybarless controller plus data logger. Not a lot difference in cost to a S800. I doubt that you will have to wait that long before a Zen. 5D version comes out. I would like to see what can be done with a sony 730 and the zoom button. Auto object tracking cant be far away.....

260 KPH and rock steady in any wind. At least twice the endurance of a S800. TOTALY reliable.

So is it the seemingly easy way to get into hovering with a commercially available MR, or the fun you will have creating your own MR and against all odds and seeing it fly. Some food for though for your next comp. I won't have the time to enter.

Perhaps the question should have been WHY NOT. I could get interested in that as a subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

That is correct. But you need the WKM for a connection to the ZenMuse and you can choose your FC as you wish. I am waiting for the upgrade to the WKH to support the ZenMuse. The firmware should be out by now to support the Ace One.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm slightly confused as it sounded like the Z15 had its own gyros/IMU? Denny, sorry to ask, whats a TDI? Isn't that a volkswagen engine? :)

DennyR

Stand by Yuri, I do have some footage of a standard TDI. It is the smoothest and fastest thing in the sky. Yep. the Zen does have its own IMU but it is also integrated to the WKM and not just for commercial reasons it uses at least the mag. in the IMU. It probably also uses the gyros/Accels as well to ball park the system. So Beware the coast of the Z15 does not include the WKM that is another 1200 usd. I am sorry to say. In the US that is probably around 4700 for the complete unit. +tax etc.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I already have the WKM on my Y6 but I had it for sale as I was making an executive decision to stay with Hoverfly. But this thing would yield good enough results that most of my work could be done on the Y6. especially if setup as a dual operator. I've got so much time invested in my Hoverly Pro XY8 Skyline av200/360 that it would be a shame to give in to the asian persuasion without giving it a go first. But I am losing steam quickly. Do you have any actual release news on the larger Zenmuse? Cant be cheap!

DennyR

I don't have any news from DJI not even about my repairs. Sent on the 16th and still not at the factory.

skivvie

Damn it Loren! You and your super smooth video are really messing with my build momentum. Do I trade in all the toys for a z15 or do I keep the ability to fly a dslr? Tough call when you set the bar so high. Does the zenmuse require the woochang? I'm thinking it would be perfect for my y6.

You're welcome! See... Thats where I was at and as you know I've been in it FAR less time than you. I want somethin that works now. If you wait for the ideal you'll wait forever because there's always something better. I'll use this until a zen is out that handles DSLRs, then I'll upgrade, but by then I'll probably want a Phantom/Red/next best thing carrier. It never ends. I just want to shoot dammit! People make amazing cinema with iPhones and GameBoys. Its all in the artistry an depends on what your goal is. Blah blah blah =]

DennyR

Absolutely right skivvie but there is no doubt that this stuff is going to raise the bar. People can now start to learn how to make aerial films and not spend all their time farting about trying to get something that is almost stable..

VINHEX

Excellent work, this is what it's all about... I will move up to the S800 when I feel competent, this is what inspires me to these things..

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm curious how well this setup works when it is windy out. Most test footage is jerking the Heli around on a calm day.

mk-Thor

Hi guys,

we had our first real flight with s800 + wookong + zenmuse + nex5n and the result is stunning amazing.

here the video:

and here you find one of the three flights from above video in full length without cut:

greets
Team Globe Flight

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I did notice that the Nex-7 is quite prone to accumulating a little dust when changing the lens. I think that the 24 will be a great lens which would be easy to balance. But I think there is some other stuff that you could use with the converter.
Having used the stabilised standard zoom lens OK.(which was right on the limit) balance should not be a problem.

I have found my Nex5 really susceptible to dust on the sensor. Great care has to be taken to ensure the lift off is clean with no dust blowing around. I use a 2mx2m tarp pegged out if its really dusty.. make sure you peg it ifyou use one.. I learnt from my mistake of not doing!

Denny I love my Nex5 but its hard to argue with the DoP when he is paying.

Dave