I'm I a lucky one... Dji f550 wookong-m famous last words now

VINHEX

I've seen plenty of posts about the WKM-m not working correctly with updates and settings. Be it on F550 or any other unit.

I'm very new to all this, but I must say I don't think I push my hex to the limit. As I'm new I'm just learning I'm sure I'm being over cautious but mine seems to be working fine at the moment but Is this because I'm getting what I expected.

Question.
Due to being new I don't no how far you can push the hex have people had such a great experience with these units being more proficient in handling and it seems to be going backwards?

Don't get me wrong I'm sure when people spend hard earned money on a unit they expect what it says on the tin, I would be peed off if my unit decided to see what it looked like face down in the dirt, much to the controllers expense.

My concern is at the moment that because I'm new and learning and being gentle with my hex, once I get proficient in flying and trying new tricks or manoeuvres that the whole thing is going to say hex says Na , face plant.

For me at the moment the hex does what I want it too.. Well not tried rth at the moment to scared had a fly away with a ardrone lol..
It goes up, down, yaws and hovers while I look down a the transmitter to see whats going on.

Should I expect the worse when competent, saying b¥¥locks wish I had brought something else instead.

Dji do seem to be pushing update after update to try and solve a lot of issues. But at least there trying to assist a car dealer would always send a car out and do a recall when they found the problem.

I'm not saying this is correct but saying they are trying..

No I don't work for them lol.

I guess time will tell once my unit explodes a std prop or spins while in rth or I can't seem to set poi or flys away with the fairies.

badbill

Just so you really know, I am pretty sure that 95% plus of problems with the WKM are user induced. I've built 11 now that all work great, the only problems I have had were caused by my stupidity.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Warlock

As I have been burned badly with my last machine, an Xaircraft X-650 V-8 with the latest auto pilot, compass, GPS etc, I just hope for the best from my soon to arrive F-550 WKM. But this time I'm taking no chances and having mine professionaly built by Robert and his shop.. http://www.uavproducts.com/ He is also installing the longer landing skids and a custom Go Pro camera mount under it. badbill has personally built 11. And yet he was big enough to admit any problems with WKM were self induced and not the electronics. Man this stuff SHOULD be good for the price of it. Supposedly, Naza with the GPS sells for $400.00, and but for way point ability "I think" it can "supposedly" do everything the WKM can do.

I almost went with the Naza set up, than decided why chance it? I believe badbill knows what he's talking about. So does Robert, at UAV, both of these men forgot more than I know now, hence why I even sent him my JR 11X transmitter with a brand new receiver along with one of my 5.400 mah 3s lipos for set up. But Im still going to be scared to death to hit return to home! Doing that with my Xaircraft 650 V-8 resulted in serious disaster. My brother has Wookong in his Gaui 500, and return to home kind of scared me when he first hit the switch, as it climbs pretty right away before heading back, but head back it does, then it hovers high over your head for a little bit then settles down normally with in a few feet or less from where it left from, and shuts off. Here is some poorly done video "by me" of it once returning to home, and the second take off he turned off the transmitter and it came home. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ruuL-kUGEY SWEET. :nevreness:

HI Badbill,

I,m just trying to read into what you said....and am interested in this....

Of the 11 setups you have built how many of them when you haven,t had a problem are an octo setup with normal reicever using firmware 5.10 or 5.12 ? For me personally I,d agree with you up till these two last updates.

Matt

Just so you really know, I am pretty sure that 95% plus of problems with the WKM are user induced. I've built 11 now that all work great, the only problems I have had were caused by my stupidity.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

badbill

I've built 3 Octos, but not recently enough to have used the latest update. All had Sbus since I fly JR and they have camera mounts. No need to "read anything" into what I said, I said exactly what I meant.
I personally haven't switched to 5.12 or 5.12a, my 4 personal machines are flying perfect so I figured I would wait a while.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Dewster

I will say that I am thouroughly impressed with DJI flight controller. I never had any crashes (until a carbon fiber prop broke in flight). My Hexa (now a quad) flew without me noticing any issues that caused me concern. I agree that a majority of the problems are user generated. Once you learn your machine and what it can and cannot do you'll be happy with it. And know when to say when. It was my tweaking and seeking a better product that brought my craft down. (should've stayed with my APC props). :( lol.

I updated my firmware and tried the Return to Home feature. It worked like a charm the first time. The second time it started circling (slightly windy) when it returned to it's launch point. I didn't know how to regain control of it (interrupt it's landing sequence), because I didn't read the details in the manual. I had to switch flight modes to stop the automated landing sequence. At first I thought something was wrong with the firmware. It turned out I needed updating. lol.

The features are pretty robust in my opinion. I like that you don't need to have a laptop nearby to run things like Point of Interest, Set Home Point, Return to Home etc. I will say the more features added the more we will have to remember during flight.

Just watch the weight of your craft, power connections and make sure you are using good props. So many crashes are due to prop failures. I saw a video of someone performing acrobatics with their quad until a prop finally broke. So weight, manuevers, and the wrong prop (or loading on the prop) could result in your craft coming down. If it's a photoship, then treat it as such. If you fly for sport, then lighten the load and keep the expensive equipment off of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warlock

I will say that I am thouroughly impressed with DJI flight controller. I never had any crashes (until a carbon fiber prop broke in flight). My Hexa (now a quad) flew without my noticing any issues that caused me concern. I agree that a majority of the problems are user generated. Once your learn your machine and what it can and cannot do you'll be happy with it.

I updated my firmware and tried the Return to Home feature. It worked like a charm the first time. The second time it started circling (slightly windy) when it reached it's launch point. I didn't know how to regain control of it (interrupt it's landing sequence), because I didn't read the details in the manual. I had to switch flight modes to turn stop the automated landing sequence. At first I thought something was wrong with the firmware. It turned out I needed updating. lol.

The features are pretty robust in my opinion. I like that you don't need to have a laptop nearby to run things like Point of Interest, Set Home Point, Return to Home etc. I will say the more features added the more we will have to remember during flight.

Just watch the weight of your craft, power connections and make sure you are using good props. So many crashes are due to prop failures. I saw a video of someone performing acrobatics with their quad until a prop finally broke. So weight, manuevers, and the wrong prop could result in your craft coming down. If it's a photoship, then treat it as such. If you fly for sport, then lighten the load and keep the expensive equipment off of it.

When you up date the software, does that wipe out all your previous settings? My brother thinks so and as such has not updated his because its flying just fine. I'm waiting on my F-550 to arrive its Wooknong equipped as well and will come with the latest up date as I am having mine built professionally and set up. As long as it flys like it should I wont be updateing but one day I may have to.

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
Warlock
I think you will be blown away with the WKM.
Also, Robert is one of the "real" dealers. Great to work with and a man of his word.
I bought mine electronics from him and will buy all future stuff from him. Great customer service and lots of experience.
WKM over Naza is really all about adding waypoints at this time.
I have recently had some problems, but dealer support has been great.
Have fun flying- Hexa WKM is a blast.

When I have updated I write down or take screen shots of all settings. You are supposed to hit default buttons on each tab and write button after upgrade (this is what I have read).
Then have to re-enter all of the configurations.
ALWAYS take props off during this!!!!
ALWAYS double check all parameters.
ALWAYS recalibrate compass.
ALWAYS treat a firmware update like a new build and check EVERYTHING!

Like BADBILL, almost every problem is a result of my own lack of experience & knowledge or just plain stupidity.

Most of all---Have fun---There are eventually always going to be some issues with mechanical devices with moving parts, electronics & computers----It's just a fact of like and part of the hobby.