Aerial shooting is not always a profitable business

ovdt

This is what I can't tell people here. Everyday, we got several calls from different guys asking some questions about their recently purchased MR craft. None of them had RC experience in the past, or electronic background on circuits etc.

A guy asked about our paid service for configuring his MK Hexa for position hold, altitude hold and camera triggering.

When the MR has came, it was in a terrible condition. The arms were not straight, 4 of 6 motors were whinning, the solders were the worst I have ever seen, there were tons of scratches on the propellers. He has no idea about simulators.

And he is trying to fly his Hexa. I spent 4 hours to convince him not to get into this job professionaly. I don't know if I was succeded. I'm happy to help the potential users, but not to "blind" users.

There are some other examples I can tell. I'm really worrying about non-experienced people getting into this job more and more everyday. If someone has a real RC experience, then OK. Some electronic and soldering knowledge, then OK. Some video / photo shooting experience, then OK. But, if you don't have none of this experience, please don't jump into MR stuff so fast. A disaster will find you before you earn money.

mitmit

+ billion on that.
the popular thoughts of people from outside, looking for all this MR trend is just like that - "hey this is just a toy and they charge $2k for shooting day?!! why the hell I'm still not in this klondike yet?"

the most unfortunate part of it all is that it is just beginning..

Last edited by a moderator:

Malcr001

In the UK if these people wanted to do this proffessionally they would have to get a BNUC-S license and a some insurance. I doubt that kind of person would know this in the first place but the idea is that someone like that would need to prove to the CAA that they are a competant pilot and that the aerial platform is acceptable and certified by the CAA.

I dont think this just applies to flying multirotors proffessionally. It can be relevant to anything. It's all just inexperiance and simply reading the post just brings out frustration that these kind of people arent using common sense. Most people these days always want to go straight to the advanaced level without the hard work. This happens a lot with FPV. There are so many newbie posts on RCG of people wishing to get into FPV without even first doing RC. I firmly believe FPV should be kept to the advanced RC pilots wishing to broaden their horizon with FPV. Thankfully the knowledge required acts as good barrier. However RTF FPV setups are slowly creeping in which is going to make FPV accessible to those that arent ready for FPV just yet.

bent_pipe

It happens in any industry, about 15 years ago when I was doing computer hardware repair house calls, I found myself in the home of a construction worker / contractor who just spent around 10k on computer equipment that he did not know how to use. He told me that he was going to teach himself AutoCAD. This guy got all pissed off every time he touched the keyboard and could barely work a mouse (not exaggerating). When I expand to him that the icons on his monitor grew to 3 inches big because his video drivers where incorrect which I easily fixed he went in to a rage demanding to know how it happened threading to sue whoever made the computer ect. The more I tried to explain it to him the more confused and upset he became. This guy didn’t have a chance at ever learning to use a computer efficiently. But the room he remodeled with a custom built in computer desk for his new career looked really nice.
~ Tom

Breezemont

These guys make it sound pretty easy:

"QuadCopter and Hexacopter for aerial photography and FPV. We can supply Mikrokopter, Droidworx CineStar, DJI and Gaui quadcopters in ready to fly spec. The latest GPS, navigation and stabilisation equipment can be set up to your specification. RC helicopter camera mounts in stock. Use video and still cameras to obtain stunning aerial photos and videos.. Security filming, surveillance, land assessment and real-time, first person view flying."

http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/quadcopters.asp

So who is at fault here?
The hapless YouTuber who sees something they want to do or the vendor who caters to them?

jes1111

From http://www.spyhawkfpv.com/
FPV MADE EASY
Traditionally, First Person Flying was complex, costly and time consuming, but with the new SpyHawk FPV all the hard work is done. Simply glue on the tail pieces with the included glue, charge the battery, and go flying!

The SpyHawk is made of crash resistant foam and it's built in stabilization system makes it perfect for beginners and experienced R/C Flyers alike.

Scary!

tstrike

pendejo grande
First time out crashes will weed out a lot of guys. I'm in the film industry and I've yet to tell or show anyone that I'm into this stuff and am building a hexa for filming with. Even so, I would only offer it up to a few guys I've known for years and only for simple B-roll stuff away from the main crew. I have an insertcar we use for tow shots and chase scenes and can only imagine the pressure the pros feel when they're working, hell, my knee's get to shaking just getting my 450 above 60 feet.

Breezemont

OTOH, there are going to be some killer deals for those of us left...
I purched this xAirCraft 650 on eBay back in Februry of this year. I wanted to get into arial photography, and well just don't have the time for it. This quad copter ended up sitting in my basement for about 5 months. I guess I am a ready to part with it now.

I never fly it outside, but when I purched the Quad-Copter I did try to see if it would fly in my basement. All four motors worked. The copter would start to lift off, but it the motors were not balanced. It would lean start to lean to one side. I only tried lift off a couple of times, then I got really busy with work. The Quad-Copter has been idle since then. I did make sure the battery have been charges, so they are good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/quadcopter-...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item4ab959074f

JLO

Here is my story I am a establish DoP 20 years commercials , features, documentaries ETC. also 15 as a owner operator steadicam so I have been in and around the filming industry quite a wile, I know very well that the industry does not forgive if you are not 100% experience and pro in your specialty, I jump in tho this exiting field with a monster Skyjib 8 with all the whistles, build it only to stop short of the maiden flight due to scare to death and the realization that I was heading in to a disaster, so I put it a side for a while intact nice and pretty, and decided to buy a little ridiculous, cheap, but very effective Blade MQX, fly it at home in my living room, crash it many times but tons of good learning skills at the same time I hit the simulator a lot practice, and practice then I bought a DJI Flame wheel 6 been flying it very carefully and my skills are getting better little by little by little I am still scare but as I practice I gain more confidence, I will try to fly my Skyjib on a very limited carefully way, of course my goal is to film but that will take still a wile so to any prospector pilot take this advice, do it step by step little by little dont rush it.

Stacky

Im now 18 months into this since I first started from a position of absolutely no RC experience at all. Its taken me 18 months to get to the point of being able to build any multirotor type i want, repair, understand how fpv, camera gimbals, radios, nose in flying etc work and when i first thought it would take me a year to get to the level of skill and quality I need I now thing I have yet another year ahead of me to get to the level I want.
i could go out now and start chasing work and get away with quite a bit but as you say in the film and tv advertising side of things there is no room for error.

Your advice is exactly right, its why when I look at all the guys who produce superb quality footage you will see they have been doing the RC side of things a long time.

Here is my story I am a establish DoP 20 years commercials , features, documentaries ETC. also 15 as a owner operator steadicam so I have been in and around the filming industry quite a wile, I know very well that the industry does not forgive if you are not 100% experience and pro in your specialty, I jump in tho this exiting field with a monster Skyjib 8 with all the whistles, build it only to stop short of the maiden flight due to scare to death and the realization that I was heading in to a disaster, so I put it a side for a while intact nice and pretty, and decided to buy a little ridiculous, cheap, but very effective Blade MQX, fly it at home in my living room, crash it many times but tons of good learning skills at the same time I hit the simulator a lot practice, and practice then I bought a DJI Flame wheel 6 been flying it very carefully and my skills are getting better little by little by little I am still scare but as I practice I gain more confidence, I will try to fly my Skyjib on a very limited carefully way, of course my goal is to film but that will take still a wile so to any prospector pilot take this advice, do it step by step little by little dont rush it.

MaNDoWn

Registered MR Crasher
I've piloted planes & helicopters for 21 years. My 1000mm Bergen octo is still giving me a run for my money! A multirotor flies like a multirotor and unlike anything else I have ever flown. I will note that my plane & heli experience has probably saved me thousands. Don't think you're going to be a professional pilot (or even a good one) overnight!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
2 years in and I have earned probably less than 2% of my investment in monetary terms let alone the hours and hours of garage time and research. Most of that time was due to my chosen flight controller. since dumping that one I have become a much more relaxed and competent pilot.

ANYONE thinking they can just jump in pay a couple of grand and start making money have non comprehension of where the rabbit hole goes.

I and my partners have been fortunate to build a great team offering a professional service to production companies and work is starting to come in. BUT it will take many many contracts to start to repay out investment. One mistake and all of a sudden the last two paying jobs have gone up in smoke. Its not only the investment getting to this stage you have to consider its the ongoing expense of keeping up with technology, maintenance and planning for future investments to stay at the top of the game..

I can see regulations being tightened up drastically in the near future with incident reporting and a reporting procedures for un authorised activities, which for one I think should come sooner rather than later.

Dave