New Flyer - F450 Build

mpilot

New flyer here. Just slowly buying all the parts.

So far I've got a Spektrum DX8 with AR8000 and the telemtry unit was in the box, do I really need to to fit this?
Will be ordering the F450 this week and really could do with a build guide, any handy links?

Also I've seen a photos where people cover the wires in a braid, where do you get this stuff from?
And finally as a newbie what battery and charger should I be looking to buy?

Thanks

tstrike

pendejo grande
Howdy mpilot, welcome to this side of crazy. The 450 is a great kit for a starter rig, go with the naza controller and you'll be all set. You don't need to use the telemetry module, you can always plug it in later. Tons of build guides on utube, download the manuals and get familiar with the build, you'll need a good soldering iron and also a battery lead (pos and neg cables and a male batt plug of your choosing). Goes together easier than you think. The braid is just mesh guard and can be ordered from here-http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=466 or probably any electronics supply store. 3s batts if you run 10" props, 4s for the 8", chargers, meh, I went with a cheap ebay charger that was quickly changed to a hitec X1 and I still wish I'd gone for a bigger unit that could charge more then 1 batt at a time. Speaking of which, make sure to get more than 1 battery (try like at least 4) when you decide what to buy. When you're learning, it's a b#tch to get into any kind of flow when you only have realistically about 7 minutes of flight time per batt.
Best of luck and ask away, this is a very helpful bunch here.
best-tom

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
welcome. the newest dji 450 kits have the wire now for the power lead, just need the plug your going with

Totality

Looking at the manual, it appears that the F450 comes with battery leads with a Deans type connector - is that correct or do you simply get the leads? Seems strange to me that for a "kit" they wouldnt have included a battery lead in the first place! Strange.

Totality

Thanks. It's cheeky of them to show a deans connector and wires in the PDF user manual on their website! I'll make sure I order a connector in that case and some wire too incase I receive an older box with nothing at all. What gauge wire comes with the set?

kloner

Aerial DP
it comes with 14 gauge. i use some car stuff from the LHS that's ...... says novak, looks at least a gauge or two thicker, i'd bet it's 12g.

Dreamweaver

Welcome to the darkside...the power harness comes with some freaky xt60-deans combo already installed at least the US version does....the euro version might be all xt60.

The main battery wires are blank you need to match you harness and/or change them all to whatever you want.

I chose deans as that seems to be common around here.

My advice... buy some bulk connector packs and some 'helping hands' makes the build go so much better.

~Mike