Batteries for dji f450

NYREPS

Hi folks I need some help getting some batteries I have three 3s 2200mah 20c and want to upgrade to a more powerful battery with longer flight time ,I just got the hobbyking turnigy 20c 3s 5000 mah and it looked to big for the quad so I returned it ,so I am looking to give it another try,looking to see what others are using.

NYREPS

I'm looking for a 3s only because I already have 3 of them if I buy the 4s I would have to bring my laptop with me to change in naza assistant from 3s to 4s that would be a pain so
Just sticking with the 3s for now

BerndM

I use 3S 4000 packs with the 2212/920 motors and they provide about 13 minutes of flight time, using the Graupner 10x5 props.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I have 6 of the packs you returned to HK, I use them on both my F450 and F330 and they work great, 10 plus minutes of flight time on either quad. I use both setups for FPV so my main concern was maximizing time in the air, these packs are perfect for that. Just to see how far I could stretch it I put two of them on the 450 wired in parallel and managed to get almost 28 minutes before the Naza autolanded from low voltage, the 450 flew normally even with the weight of two 3s 5000 packs.

Besides the battery my F330 carries an FPV camera, video TX, GPS, microphone board, TX controlled switch for the VTX, and an AR8000 RX with satellite, all that stuffed into the tiny frame and flying on Graupner 9 x 5 props. I think you'll find the 3S 5000 to be no problem for the F450 to fly with.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
How much must be the minimum C (discharge rate) for an F450 with GoPro2 and FPV equipment?

I wouldn't go any lower than 20C. I have 20 and 30C packs that I use on my F450 with full FPV gear and Graupner 10 x 5 props, no problems with either rating.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
What if I get 40c 3s 4000mah? I don't need 40c right ? Because my esc is only 30A ?

Then you're paying extra $ for a capacity you don't need. The C rating of the battery has no real relation to the amp rating of the ESCs on a multi due to the fact that you have 4/6/8 motors and ESCs so the power need is dependant more on the cumulative draw of the motors you're using along with the size of the prop. Unless you plan to be doing crazy aerobatics where you may need to use max throttle a lot, a 25C battery is usually fine for a multi. Another use case where a higher C rating may be needed is if you have a large and heavy APV rig, slowing a descent may require a lot of power for a moderate duration, a 30 to 35 C pack might be a better choice then. Typically unless you have a need for high power draw for extended periods of time, using a 40C pack on a quad or hex is only spending more $ for batteries than is necessary.

Ken

elorest

I'm running 10x5" graupner e-props with a 4s 6000mah Turnigy Nanotech battery and a gopro 3. It weighs about 1500 grams with everything on it and after 25 minutes my battery voltage was 14.97. Most of that test was just holding position at 20 feet altitude but I think I can confidently say I have over 20 minutes of flight time even on agressive flights.

View attachment 12650

My recent build DJI F450 with NAZA-M.

3S 2200 mAH, 30C Eflite LiPo
Stock 10 inch props
Futaba T6XA radio 40 MHz
Stock DJI 450 frame and electronics.
SMD LEDs Red at back and White front. Also on sides.
Since I fly mostly at night, the LEDs are very helpful with orientation.
Flight time without lights 8 mins, when NAZA flashes first Red. With LEDs 7 mins.
Fully charged voltage 12.60 Volts as per IMAX B-6, DMM says 12.53 to 12.55 Volts
Voltage at the end of flight as per DMM 11.35 to 11.50 Volts.

It flies amazingly well. This is my first ever build and I am returning to the hobby after a gap of 20 years. The quad wobbles a bit with rudder, guess the basic gains need some fine tune. I had my doubts on the antique Radio, but does pretty well, and I have no issues whatsoever.

I am in New Delhi and the hobby isn't all that popular here. Quite a few eyebrows raised where I fly. Looking at increasing flying time. Don't want to go the 4S route as yet. What's the safe upgrade to 2200 mAh 3S ? Don't want to add a lot of weight. Not much interest in FPV or AP.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 452

djneils98

I have three 3s 2200mah 20c .

you could buy a parallel battery cable like I did and use 2 of your 3s batteries in parallel - I get about 11mins or so on 2 x 2200 3s.

Also I don't think you need to set anything for using 3s or 4s in the software (unless you mean for a gimbal?)
I use both and have had no problems. In fact i'd highly recommend trying 4s.

hey got a f450 build going just got a venom 2s 5000mah 20c 7.4 v battery will this work i have the 920kv motors and a kk 2.0 board