Dragon Link or Eagle Tree for OSD

DIPswitch

Hey, I am wondering if some users could chime in here with pros and cons of these two OSD's.

thanks for your time.

kloner

Aerial DP
I have ET OSD, for quads i don't think either has a benefit over the other. if i was just wanting gps and something simple, i'd use the Team Black Sheep EZOSD. I primarilly went after Eagle Tree for the tracking. got planes and quads so the being able to use more than one craft on the tracker seemed smart. Return to home doesn't work with multi rotors. by the time you get an eagle tree working decent, you need the osd, logger, GPS, barometric sensor. without the sensor, it jumps up and down hundreds of feet in an instant, sets off alarms, etc. the downside to the ezosd is the tracking part sucks, uses the audio channel and it's less reliable than the video ch like ET does.

Now that i'm flying dragon link lrs, i'm interested in the osd a little more. am interested to hear more about it. Can tell you after waiting forever to get the rc system out of DL, i'd be buying that thing from a retailer that has it in stock. i've been waiting for a lrs rc RX for 2 months, seen people waiting for the osd since february on the rc groups thread.

Looking over dragon labs osd, has 20 waypoints, ET has 3. that buffered ppm input would sure be nice with the dragon link

DIPswitch

Thanks kloner,
I plan on using for multi-rotor , heli , and plane once I find something I like. So your point about the EZOSD could be the option I am looking for. I want to start with multi rotor, and have a DJI WKM unit. I am definitely a noob to FPV. So using the WKM could help in the learning curve in FPV ? Would I be right or wrong in thinking this?

kloner

Aerial DP
i don't have a clue. does it have an osd that you can look at the wookong stuff through the fpv video feed or is that only on a pc? i just have naza, just navigate off of the gps, distance, direction arrow to home, etc.

So the exosd doesn't have the return to home type failsafe for fixed wing, and you may want that down the road, if you get it, this is the one to have http://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/product:92

I like the dragon labs osd+ v2...... the only thing different i can see is the DL one doesn't have tracking....... what rx do you use? does it have ppm output?

DIPswitch

I do not own a Tx/Rx set up. im that green.... any tips?
The WK-M has data - link which is $400-$550. The $550 is 900MHz. You can then view. I am not 100% sure of track. But , with the cost of it , I would hate to think it would not be there.
Using some FPV on my heli would be a plus. So if I can find something to use on both , thats even better. The fail safe and RTH on the wookong works very well.
So....... , Tx/Rx set ups, would I be able to use the wookong Tx/Rx setup and be able to use the EZOSD on the wookong setup? (if I used ezosd on heli) I have to look into that. As you can see, I have a lot of questions. After reading, I would think that the ones to consider purchasing are the Eagle Tree , Dragon link , or EZOSD. I read a lot of people talking about the "ebay" and "hobby king" kits. I am not saying they are not good, but I dont think I want to waste time with them.

- thanks for the help

DIPswitch

it seems the wookong system probably wont work like I thought.....
using an OSD with the wookong Tx/Rx doesnt seem like a good match from what I am reading.

DIPswitch

Looking over dragon labs osd, has 20 waypoints, ET has 3. that buffered ppm input would sure be nice with the dragon link[/QUOTE]

So, that buffered ppm input you are speaking of is good enough to out wiegh 17 waypoints?

I am confussed...

DIPswitch

So ,
may I ask you this?
You have a few different systems in your profile there..... If I were to want to have a descent fpv setup (Tx/Rx) where and who should i be looking for?
that would be the start .? right? ......and everyone says about the antenna ....... dont use the stock one.

I will keep the wookong in its own corner with its own wookong add-ons....

kloner

Aerial DP
A normal receiver has whats called pcm output, drives servos, one for each wire, in our case it goes into a flight controller one wire for throttle, one wire for ele, one wire for ail, one wire for rudder and so on. ppm input when using something like dragon link that has ppm output is like the futaba sbus,,,,,,, all the stuff is ran with one wire from receiver to the osd. but for the multi rotor is useless, it is the part that returns to home when failsafe, plank only

basically the eagle tree and dragon labs osd's are really nice plank controllers. eagle tree offers stabilizer, like gyros for a plane.

Most people with quads cause they don't go very far just use simple osd's. important stuff to know are the voltage, elapsed time and the RSSI or radio signal strength. there kinda slow movers so distance isn't easy so usually gps isn't as important. if you fly with 2.4 rc control, your not talking about more than a mile away at the most.

wookong and that downlink i'm not sure how that works with fpv. how far does it work. can it leave and loose the signal on a gps waypoint course and still come back? to my knowledge that's kinda more a AP type controller, has position hold so can keep it in spot and pivot, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
So ,
may I ask you this?
You have a few different systems in your profile there..... If I were to want to have a descent fpv setup (Tx/Rx) where and who should i be looking for?
that would be the start .? right? ......and everyone says about the antenna ....... dont use the stock one.

I will keep the wookong in its own corner with its own wookong add-ons....

missed this one last night. so your gonna wind up with 2 complete radio systems to go fpv, lets start with the rc part, the radio you hold that makes the thing move around

spektrum dsm2/dsmx systems tend to get around 2200 ish feet before flopping around in and out of failsafe mode. There is something called frsky modules you can put in jr radios that adds some range but more importantly gives you an rssi reading. That tells you the signal strength kinda like a cell phone. Futaba radios supposedly go further in 2.4 but i haze no experiance with that then you step up to LRS UHF systems. these are added onto a radio and can give incredible range. A video was just posted at rcgroups of a dragon link plane that went 100 km and still had total control. Problems with them are there a little trickier to setup, but you will always loose video signal before rc with it. there is also EZUHF, Chainsaw, Sherrer and a few other brands. DL is suppose to have the longest range.

The biggest dissadvantage to using 2.4 for control is you loose the ability to use 2.4 in the video transmission. out of all the video RX/TX frequencies out there, 2.4 is the most desireable. has excellent penetration, great picture quality. 5.8 tends to blink a little more when things get between the RX and TX. 1.3 is a great other frequency. less picture quality, but great penetration. Cheaper electronics for this get alot of static, make alot of electronic noise that can be tough to use with LRS systems.

Antennas, Especially if you use 2.4 or 5.8 but applies to all the frequencies. the latest thing to do is Circular polarized antennas. theres another thread here where i keep posting different dealers that have offerings. those are amazing and make the things work right. Very little static, great picture, only problem is 900-1.3 tend to be a little big.

DIPswitch

I have come to that conclusion that I will be running two systems. = more $$$.
Well, I run a DX8, so there goes my 2.4. In reading, I was leaning towards 1.3 over 900. Seems like 900 is just a little older. As far as the video, with these larger antenna you are speaking of, they improve picture and decrease static. So maybe 1.3 would be where I lye. I will look for those polarized antenna (are they that much bigger?). I guess I need to figure which tx/rx to go with. I kinda like both the DL and ET OSD's. the on screen appearance is pretty nice. So now I have to figure another $800?, for this set up. ha.
You were mentioning about the EZOSD. With this unit I would be able to use on both multi and heli. and that would be cool.
......and thinking of FPV on my heli, keep it light !

I love the anti- climatic feeling of thinking your almost there with it all , and then .........

kloner

Aerial DP
you would use your dx8 no matter what rc system you use. 2.4 is just a ar8000, but to long range, youw ant the LRS rc system and that is added onto your radio like this
http://www.dragonlinkstore.com/v2/node/12

for video, this is the one you want
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_34_44&products_id=911
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_30_38&products_id=914
does 900 through 1.3, all the killer filters, etc.

live output that through your gopro if ya got one, the readymade rc 420 cam is pretty decent for $70 if not

this is the standard ezosd
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=53

yes, will do everything with gps, but not as robust as the other two you talked about as in return to home, excellent tracking, etc.

for quads, there so slow it takes a while to go 2000 feet each way. if you fly low and slow, you'll never get that far so lrs might not be for you, definatley not needed to go try it out.

DIPswitch

I have been wanting ultimately to FPV with a plane. and plan on building one this summer. So in the end, i WILL want to have a LRS. With that in mind, I have a DX6i as well. Maybe convert that controller over with the DL for permanent FPV use. is that an option?.......or just use the DX8?....
Would I be close in saying that the DL seems more user friendly than ET?
...................back to the top of the thread.......
I see the "right angle" antenna are very popular.

kloner

Aerial DP
youd have to check in on the dx6....... the dragon link support is at rcgroups, ask there

i'm not sure if either osd is more user friendly than the next. the dragon link looks like it has alot more viewing featurs as in different artificial horizons, different speed/alt ladders. I have been really happy with my eagle tree stuff, always works

if by right angle you mean the short rubber duck antennas, there not so much popular as much as the old way of doing it and for manufacturers, the cheap antenna to include. When both antennas are pointing up down or side to side, horizontal or vertical polarity work fine, when the craft banks in a turn, goes up or down, the signal gets broken up and makes static. when you use circular polarized antennas, your never getting that break up and they say the picture is clearer. i'm new to this too, but a few months ahead of ya so is all i've had. they came with rubber duck antennas but those went out the window the first time i tried it

Last edited by a moderator:

Manzooka

I know I'm coming in late to this discussion but I recently setup my Dragon Link Tx with a Turnigy 9x and it was easy as can be. Highly recommended for folks looking for a DL capable Tx.

I was originally planning on using my JR X9503 as both a 2.4Ghz and Dragon Link Controller but the required mods were a little off putting. I ended up choosing the Turnigy 9x as my dedicated UHF transmitter because it's inexpensive, it's plug and play with Dragon Link, and it has a lot of firmware support (check out er9x) to make it just as capable as controllers more than 10 times the price. It actually feels good in your hands too and I wasn't expecting that.

I bought a Smartie Pants board to make er9x firmware updates an extremely easy process (I like easy) and I also bought a green back light from Hobby King. Both are very easy to install. My only complaint thus far is that the screw settings on the 9x strip so fricken easily! I opened my 9x a total of two times I think and 3 or more of the screws stripped a bit. Might be my fault for trying to over tighten but I don't think so as I'm usually pretty careful with such things. For the moment I've negated that issue with two small strips of tape to keep the controller halves tightly together. I did see that the folks selling the smartie pants board have some metal inserts as a mod to solve the stripping issue but I haven't felt the need to go that route yet.

I'm very new to FPV as well. I have a TBS Discovery that I'm fiddling with, a QAV500 I'm about to build, and I'm hoping to order a Skywalker in the near future as my first FPV plank. I'm using 1.3Ghz and it's worked out pretty well thus far. I think I'm going to give 2.4 a try just to give myself a bit of diversity. Best of luck. And hey, this thread has come up several times in my own personal google searches so it might be worth an OP update if you happen to read this.