NAZA erratic behavior. NAZA gyro going out? Please help!

BIGTACO

I own a F550 with Naza flight controller and all stock ARF equipment. My TX is a DX7 and AR7000 RX. I am an avid heli guy but new to mutli's.

So far on my hex I have around 20 flights and they have all been perfect. Once I got the gains all set it has flown like a dream. Until yesterday! :upset: I was about 4 feet off the ground doing a nice hover filming with my POV. Wasn't even touching the sticks. Just letting the bird hover in one spot on her own. All of the sudden out of no where it goes crazy and flips onto its back hitting the ground. Luckily I wasn't very high off the ground so no damage occured. Needless to say I was baffled. Exactly 4 cuss words came spewing out of my mouth. I will spare you their content. I did a number of checks to make sure something had not come loose or changed mid flight to cause this. Below are these checks I performed.

-I went into the NAZA assistant software to make sure nothing had changed in the NAZA setup or TX setup. Everything was fine. Nothing had changed. Keep in mind this bird has flown perfect till now.
-I checked ESC to motor connections.
-I checked ESC to NAZA connections.
-I checked RX to NAZA connections.
-I checked that all my prop nuts were tight.
-My NAZA is dead center in the frame and pointing forward towards the red legs.

I decided to try flight again in some soft grass by my house and it did it again. I am able to get it up for a second or two then suddenly it looses control and flops on its back. Its the strangest thing. Makes me wonder if something within my NAZA is toast?! Does DJI has good customer support or warranty or will they just shun me away?

Please help. I am at a total loss.

Today I will make a video of what is happening to post up here...

Last edited by a moderator:

kauaicuda

Check and make sure the bond there is good.
Check in the assistant to make sure the mode selector isn't teetering on the edge of the one mode and another. Rebind your rx and tx if applicable. Check for firmware update, make sure your firmware and assistant software are compatible (check the manual, not sure if this is applicable any more, it was a couple months back)

That's all I can think of for now.

BIGTACO

Ok so I tried a few things and here is the result. I updated the firmware. And re-bound my TX to my RX. I also made sure the NAZA is secure.

I did a test flight. I was able to get it in a hover for about 5 seconds but noticed the yaw was very slow and un-responsive. Suddenly BAM!! It flipped over again out of no where.

I will try yalls suggestion and remove all props then listen for one motor to make erratic sounds.

BIGTACO

Ok I removed all props. I got power up to all ranges and let it sit for a good while looking and listening for anything erratic. I couldn't tell that anything was wrong. All looked and sounded fine. I am totally confused now how to trouble shoot this. I guess I could start replacing stuff.

This sucks :(

Had the same problem with mine and it was a broken wire on the motor where it plugged into the esc. I think it was caused by vibration from the prop. you will need to give a tug on the wire because it held with heat shrink.
Cheers Dave

Pete80

Sounds like something might be failing when it gets a little load/heat in it... try leaving the props on, securing your hex down, plugging each esc into your rx individually and reving up one motor at a time to full throttle and observe if one cuts out... worth a try!

Pete

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

BIGTACO

Did ya find a problem er what eh? :)

Pete

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Actually...YES! Your suggestion to diagnose the issue worked. I was able to find one bad motor. I zip tied the HEX to my garage workbench then ran each motor up with prop one at a time. Once I got to the bad motor it would spit and studder when I changed the amount of current running (load) into it. Just to make sure that it wasn't the ESC on that arm I moved another motor in that spot and it ran fine. So yea, all I need to do is replace one motor and I am good to go! All the other motors and ESC's ran perfect. And very smooth actually.

But, I am seriously contemplating just selling all my stock motors and upgrading to Avroto's all around with 12" Graupner props + arm extensions since I plan to build this into a video rig.

Thanks for the help all!!!

:nevreness: