Mikrokopter MK 250m GPS Range

Ron2020

I've been using google earth to examine the 250 meter range limit of the MK GPS.

Just from a few brief and simple measurements, i've concluded that 250m is totally *useless*.
Where I live, 250 meters doesn't even cover the length of 2 city blocks.
For a GPS waypoint feature to have any real usefulfulness, it would seem to me that its range should be more on the order 1/2 to 1 mile, at least.

Am I missing something here?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Yep.. You have to pay for the upgrade to the professional FC then you can go the mile!.. Not that that would be legal to do so.

Dave

wizprod

I've been using google earth to examine the 250 meter range limit of the MK GPS.

Just from a few brief and simple measurements, i've concluded that 250m is totally *useless*.
Where I live, 250 meters doesn't even cover the length of 2 city blocks.
For a GPS waypoint feature to have any real usefulfulness, it would seem to me that its range should be more on the order 1/2 to 1 mile, at least.

Am I missing something here?

If you're smart, you'll use the entire 500 meter diameter. You have 250 meter radius. Start in the middle of the pattern, then you can reach longer on the std license.

Ron2020

You're right, but i need to fly over a long linear distance with FPV. So i will probably have to purchase the commercial Navi. The commercial Navi starts at 500m range and u can upgrade the firmware for longer distances for a fee of 2euro per meter. So if i want an additional 1000 range, it will cost 2000 euro more. Not cheap!

wizprod

You're right, but i need to fly over a long linear distance with FPV. So i will probably have to purchase the commercial Navi. The commercial Navi starts at 500m range and u can upgrade the firmware for longer distances for a fee of 2euro per meter. So if i want an additional 1000 range, it will cost 2000 euro more. Not cheap!

So you just need PH and CH? They work outside the 500 meter circle :)

wizprod

Correct.
Read here: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/MK-Parameter/Navi-Ctrl 2

"GPS maximal Radius

This value in meter defines a circular area around the start position. Only inside of this circular area you can set position targets (waypoints/POI)."

"Use GPS max. radius for dPH

If you activate this function, the Kopter will fly only in the GPS-Range if you use the function PositionHold or ComingHome. If the Kopter is oputside this range and you activate a GPS-Function like PositionHold, the Kopter will automatically fly back into the GPR-Range.
You can set this GPS-Range under "GPS max. Radius". "

So in short, as long as you don't activate the "use gps max radius for dph", you will have PH and CH available outside the 500 meter circle.