Props--- what brands work?

r4nd0m

Gemfan 9" need to be bored to 8mm with a prop reamer. And the gemfan 8" are even smaller, perhaps too small to be modified.

I don't think anyone but DJI has an 8" prop with a 8mm hole. AFAIK Graupner 10" are the only alternative without doing some modification.

well my current view on 8" with my cam doesnt have any prop in view, hence I would like to keep it that way ...

BerndM

I use the DJI 2212/920 motors on my Flamewheel F450 and it came with both 8x4.5 and 10x4.5 DJI props. I use only 3S batteries so the 8" props are more stable for me.
My question is this, the motor shafts are 8mm but they have two 7mm flats on them so the nut is not the only thing preventing free spinning if the nut should loosen accidentally.
I like that feature. The DJI props have the matching flats in the center hole. Does any other prop have the same flat feature?
Thanks
Bernd

Rick~K

Free Bird
I heard that also but my 450 was about 2 weeks old, could have been old stock but I think the props need reinforced. The root flex's a lot and after mine broke I don't want to trust them. I'm flying Graupner's E props and like them, but I used the APC's and I liked them. I think the Gemfans would do fine also, I see lots of people fly them. I really like the flats on the DJI's but until their made better I'm not using them, the Graupner's are 8mm and go right on without reaming, just watch the sharp edges.

I just got mine and have no idea how one can tell if it is the new or old. I tried to e-mail DJI and no reply. I noticed that the 10" prop has a larger center diameter than the 8" prop. Was the breakage on 8 or 10 or both? I also ordered a set of Graupner.

I noticed the stock DJI blades has a flat on them and the Graupner is straight thru, are there any issue of them coming loose in flight?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick~K

Free Bird
I think most of the breakage was 8", I was flying 10" and thought they were great props until I lost 2 MR's in two days. I felt safe with them since they were supplied with the kit. I had read the 8" problem and thought the 10's were fine.
As for the non-flats, everyone I've read about like them and I haven't seen anything about them coming loose. Be careful and don't over tighten the nut and twist off the shaft. I did read that some people were using lock nuts, I'm using the stock nuts.

Nell, The graupners you are getting are certainly more expensive than the stock DJI props but anyone can see the quality difference. I can't understand why people, including DJI, can't see the issue here. These stock props 8" or 10" are simply coming apart in normal unstressed flight conditions and that is dangerous. DJI ought not to be so indifferent over this, these props are randomly failing, that is incontrovertible, just google it. It took three 10" and one 8" blade shear for me to realise there was a pattern and luckily my 450 came down on grass. In the absence of a proper response from DJI, and I've not heard of one, don't worry about the flats on the core, just buy 8mm circular cored blades from another manufacturer.

Looking at my failed, sheared off blades it looks like a tensile break caused by the effect of centrifugal forced. In other words, it could be alleged that the DJI props are under-engineered and are therefore unfit for purpose.

Billy, your 10" failed also.. humm .. do you happens to know the prop outer hub diameter of the one that failed so I can compare to the stock 10" that just came with the kit?

thanks

Silas

Last edited by a moderator:

Silas, I'll check tomorrow for you. It's a quarter to two in the morning here and I'm tired out. I'm keen to help you avoid the probs me and others have had. Having said that, I think the rest of the DJI kit is great. Anyway, I'm off to kip.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The newer kits are supposed to have updated props that are stronger than the original versions with bigger hubs. That said I still wouldn't trust them on anything other than a bone stock kit with no payload and maybe not even then, I've seen the stockers come apart in flight more than once on other peoples F450s without being stressed. I swapped the DJI props out on my F450 for a set of Graupners before the 6th flight and it made a huge difference in the vibration level, I can get decent video from a GoPro just tywrapped to the frame where all I got was severe jello with the same setup on stock props.

Ken

skypup

APC 9x4.7 work great on both f450 and f550. You will need to use a prop reamer to bore the hole to 8mm and you will need to balance them. Done properly the APC's fly as well as anything else. I have seen complaints that they are brittle in cold weather but never heard of them breaking in flight.

Another good one are the gemfan CF reinforced 9x4.7. Looks and flies like the apc's only a little stiffer. I find these to "growl" less then the apc's too.

I just test flew the GemFan 9x4.7 for 2 flights timed at 5 minutes each. I put 833 mah back into my 30c 3s 2200 mah eflite lipo. That's 166.6 mah/minute. That would give me 9.9 minutes with a 25% reserve of 550 mah. The stock 10 inch blades had similar power consumption of 821 mah for 5 minutes.

Billy, your 10" failed also.. humm .. do you happens to know the prop outer hun diameter of the one that failed so I can compare to the stock 10" that just came with the kit?

Silas

The hub diameter of the failed ones is this - 14.1mm Bearing in mind the centre hole is 8mm not taking into account the flats. I have measured the part where the blade meets the hub and it essentially is at right angles and forms an approximate rectangular area measuring 11.47mm x 3.3mm without much of a fillet or radius. My view is that any decent engineer would see that design as being flawed taking into account the stresses coming to bear on that small area.

Hope I'm not hijacking, but can anyone confirm whether you can get an 8'' from anywhere other than DJI that requires no boring? I do not have the equipment to do any tweaking.

Thanks!

skypup

Hope I'm not hijacking, but can anyone confirm whether you can get an 8'' from anywhere other than DJI that requires no boring? I do not have the equipment to do any tweaking.

Thanks!

For $8 you can by a Fox company #7203 metric prop reamer which can ream 8mm (and others). I'd get one rather than limit myself. Just a suggestion. That's what I've been using.

thehatguy

For $8 you can by a Fox company #7203 metric prop reamer which can ream 8mm (and others). I'd get one rather than limit myself. Just a suggestion. That's what I've been using.

Cheapest I found for the Fox 7203 is $11.99 at Tower Hobbies.

Whare did you buy for $8.00?

John

skypup

Cheapest I found for the Fox 7203 is $11.99 at Tower Hobbies.

Whare did you buy for $8.00?

John

I've had mine for years. When I did a google search for prop reamers they showed $8. A good investment at $11.95. A reamer will give you a centered perfect hole. A drill bit is not nearly as precise.

The hub diameter of the failed ones is this - 14.1mm Bearing in mind the centre hole is 8mm not taking into account the flats. I have measured the part where the blade meets the hub and it essentially is at right angles and forms an approximate rectangular area measuring 11.47mm x 3.3mm without much of a fillet or radius. My view is that any decent engineer would see that design as being flawed taking into account the stresses coming to bear on that small area.

Billy, thanks for the measurements. The stock 10" off the kit I just received a few days ago, the hub diameter is 0.620" or 15.748mm. Looks like it is different to the one you have. I also measured the hub diameter of the Graupner, it is 0.700" or 17.78mm.

Silas

kloner

Aerial DP
graupner props are great. the rest are too much work if you want a camera on it in this size. The graupner 8" 9" 10" are 8mm on the bottom half of the hub, i use a step drill to blow out the front and keep the rear precision part 8mm.

theres lots of places to get them in the us now that are cheaper to ship than v-east