DJI Naza sub trim

kloner

Aerial DP
I don't think weight matters. the only thing it does is make the motors carrying the extra weight work a little harder. one time i was messing with motors and had one with a bad bearing, switched out just one motor for a different size and kv and it flew bitchen. naza flies to naza and that little level inside that thing is off just a hair

mine doesn't drift right.. only backward. I also notice that a need some yaw trim. May be the MC was not center well???

If the MC is not true to the case, may need to make an adjustable leveling board to fine tune the system??

s

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
yep..... push a toothpick under the back of your controller between the case and base. go fly it and see what it does

cones

This gets more and more interesting.

I have tilted the Naza unit by lifting it about 1.5mm on the left hand edge (about 2.86 Degrees). This stopped the drifting to the right.
More tilt started it drifting to the left.

But I have now noticed another drift issue.

On take-off with the Naza unit tilted as above (about 2.86 Degrees) the F450 does still drift to the right a little. I have flown 360 degrees walking around it to check all wind directions.

But as the flight time progresses the drift get less and less until after about 6 minutes into the flight it is perfect.

Could the supply voltage be having an effect on the Naza controller? Or is there possibly some temperature sensitive components that are warming up (or cooling down about 13 Deg C outside)

If I tilt the Naza enough to be perfect on takeoff the by the end of the flight it would be drifting left.

Thanks

Mark

kloner

Aerial DP
if you absolutley need it to sit still, get the gps. naza is a trainer, fpv type controller, locking it still in one spot is more of a AP type thing, naza w/ gps or wookong

Just wondering, How did you tilt the NAZA? some kind of shim? Did the shim move?

Is this repeatable with a new battery? perfect at takeoff and drift left at end?

thanks

Silas

cones

Hi,

Yes, I have the GPS on order. :nevreness:

But I still think it should not drift one way unless the wind is blowing it or it is told to move in that direction.

I shimmed it up with a strap and a cocktail stick as suggested initially.

But now it is shimmed on several layers of thin double sided tape.

Yes, tried it with several different packs now same results each time. Just been charging so I will now go and try a few more.

Thanks

Mark

kloner

Aerial DP
do you have a camera you can put on your quad and fly? curious what lifes like aboard it. what props? balanced?

I don't know if having a GPS will provide rock soild holding on the spot accuracy. Some of the more expensive Differential GPS or WAAS receiver claims to have an accuracy of 1.5 meters. The cheaper one resolves to 10 meters or so. And that also depends where you are located, any trees, clouds or bulidings blocking the signal.

I wonder if DJI has spec for theirs offering? So... even if GPS is install, it will still drift some.

cones

Hi, I have just flow with three packs one after another, all 3S 2200 mAh two different makes.

My props are Graupner 9x5 DJI 2215/905kv (Older 3S only) motors and 30a DJI ESC.

Same issue as before. New pack drifts to the right (a lot), end of flight perfect hover.

I have taken my camera (JVC Picsio) off the frame while I sorted out the drifting issue.

But I will now try it back on.

Thanks

Mark

kloner

Aerial DP
wonder if something came loose inside? has it crashed much?

nellie, all i've seen is how wookong holds and it's pretty dang solid

cones

Hi, it has had one crash from about 20-30 feet onto soft earth. No damage apart from a few broken props.

But I am now wondering if it has effected the Naza in some way? Seems strange that there is a shift during flying though.

I've just taken a video, just waiting for my upload to Youtube.

Thanks

Mark

cones

This is the Video.

You see it drift right from about 1:07 when I release the stick. As you can see it is pretty pronounced.

At 2:33 I show this again from 180 degrees to prove that it is not the wind blowing it.

At 7:00 onwards it has stopped drifting to the right.

Hard to show without seeing my stick inputs.

I will see if the download from the MX-20 telemetry shows anything useful?

Thanks

Mark

That's a fast drift.. Mine drift a little but never like what you shown in the video. After I re-press the NAZA firmly to the 2-side tape, all it takes was 2 click to trim to somewhat of a hands off hover.

Silas

xtrmtrk

I'm convinced the Naza learns or at least tweaks its internal calibrations during flight.

It's interesting to change props on a Naza rig. The first minute or so with new props can be kind of squirrelly, but it firms up pretty quickly. I often see similar behavior when taking off from a slope. The calibration seems to be dynamic.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
My naza does the exact same drift right at about the same speed. As I am selling it to a beginenr friend of mine i really need to know how to fix this. Annoying.

cones

I think that perhaps I have damaged the Naza unit then.

I have opened it up to have a look and see if anything looks wrong. Everything looked fine to me.

The sensor looks like it sits on two foam pads within the case. These are stuck with four round sticky pads each side of the sensor.

Does anyone know what the two LEDs on the Naza board indicate? Perhaps I could diagnose when the unit thinks it is level or something?

If I buy a new Naza unit then I might have a go at remounting the sensor on the foam pads.

This unit is flyable as it is but not as good as it should be.

Thanks

Mark

kloner

Aerial DP
in the early part when it's really jumping to the right, there is a louder more pronounced motor than 7:30, there i hear 3 or 4 motors. Are any of the motors hot? I have the same exact 2215's i moved from my 450 to 330. they tend to break bearings easily, and i kinda hear something when you shut it off. IF theres a warm one, you might have a motor doing bad. Strange that it loosens up......... mine never drifted like that

The only thing outside of a permanent calibration inside it is when you calibrate your tx to it.

does this thing have the latest firmware or at least something newer than when it first came out?

cones

Yes, I did check the motors and they were all cold. I did wonder if I should swap them round to rule out the ESCs and motors?

The bearings feel O.K.

Yes, firmware is up to date in the Naza (Latest one ready for the GPS unit) . Firmware is also up to date in my Graupner MX-20 and RX.

I checked the Telemetry data and the stick position feedback shows exactly what I was experiencing during the flight.

This data is read back from the RX so it would show up a faulty signal from the TX on a particular channel, so useful to know.

I am thinking of moving the Naza to the top plate so I don't have to keep undoing all of the top plate screws each time!

I'll take the props off and try the system with the cover removed on the Naza to see if I can see what is happening.

Thanks

Mark

I have opened it up to have a look and see if anything looks wrong..... Mark

Do you happens to have a picture of the inside of the NAZA??

About the motor.. After a few flight, I remember a note from another motor company suggest regular oiling of the bearing. So, even my FW450 is only had 6 flights at the time, I lube the bearing. I noticed from the on board video I capture (with sound), the motor sounded smoother. May be something to try and see if it matters in your case.

Silas